• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usaf_joe

newb..
    Jul 21, 2012
    AA County
    I will investigate this online as soon as I get home, but why are my rounds ending up low on the target? I aim at the "bad guy's" upper chest and end up shooting him in the balls :lol2:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    If you are hitting low, it is most likely anticipation of recoil. Try this exercise. Dry fire at a target. With an unloaded gun. Aim at a target and squeeze the trigger. When you can keep your sights in the same place when your trigger breaks, you will most likely have corrected your problem. Try dry firing a five times before you shoot for real. Tell yourself that you are still dry firing when you shoot. It sounds crazy, but it works. Its also great practice. If you practice at home, double check that your gun is not loaded and practice your dry firing with your gun pointed in a safe direction. Aiming at the TV is not recommended. If you are worried about dry firing damaging your gun, use Snap Caps. Snap caps are also great for practicing clearing malfunctions: stove pipes and double feeds. Try to clear them in less than 2 seconds.

Good luck!

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Also try doing your dry fire drills with a round balanced on the front of the slide. When you can squeeze the trigger without the round falling off, you're doing it right :) This trick helped my wife out a bunch.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I will investigate this online as soon as I get home, but why are my rounds ending up low on the target? I aim at the "bad guy's" upper chest and end up shooting him in the balls :lol2:

You'll still ruin his day most likely...

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    Also try doing your dry fire drills with a round balanced on the front of the slide. When you can squeeze the trigger without the round falling off, you're doing it right :) This trick helped my wife out a bunch.
    If I recall correctly...

I actually read someone recommend balancing a dime (nickel?) on the slide for this....:sad20:

Right!

usaf_joe

newb..
    Jul 21, 2012
    AA County
    If you are hitting low, it is most likely anticipation of recoil. Try this exercise. Dry fire at a target. With an unloaded gun. Aim at a target and squeeze the trigger. When you can keep your sights in the same place when your trigger breaks, you will most likely have corrected your problem. Try dry firing a five times before you shoot for real. Tell yourself that you are still dry firing when you shoot. It sounds crazy, but it works. Its also great practice. If you practice at home, double check that your gun is not loaded and practice your dry firing with your gun pointed in a safe direction. Aiming at the TV is not recommended. If you are worried about dry firing damaging your gun, use Snap Caps. Snap caps are also great for practicing clearing malfunctions: stove pipes and double feeds. Try to clear them in less than 2 seconds.

Good luck!

Good stuff guys. I will definitely look into the snap caps and try the dry fire exercise (safety first!) with a round/coin on top of the slide. I have a feeling it will be a bit before I'm proficient with a handgun - rifles are much easier :D

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    what gun are you using and how far away are you shooting? a really crappy trigger won't be doing you any favors. generally though a slow, smooth trigger pull making sure the sights stay on the target.

also aim small, miss small, instead of aiming at the middle somewhere of a big target, paste or draw a 1 or 2" circle or square on the big target and aim at that.

to help build confidence and get a better idea of the accuracy of your gun, shoot from a rested position (hands resting on a sandbag).

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    This is so very true! Very few of us will ever admit that we need some instruction or some regular practice.

Well if you read here I think I'm the only one that cannot hit 300 yards, open sights, backwards with mirror using either a 22LR pistol or 45-70. ;) I make up for it though, I have a 14" **** at 27 degrees F. ;) At least I'm honest. :P

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Some front sights look tall to my bad eyes, others look normal. Some guns I line up normally, others I have to tip the barrel up (use the bottom of the front sight instead of lining up the tops all three in a row).

Depends on your eyes

(I pass the snap cap test, it does help me find the correct finger placement on each trigger; also not the same on each gun)

usaf_joe

newb..
    Jul 21, 2012
    AA County
    Some front sights look tall to my bad eyes, others look normal. Some guns I line up normally, others I have to tip the barrel up (use the bottom of the front sight instead of lining up the tops all three in a row).

Depends on your eyes

(I pass the snap cap test, it does help me find the correct finger placement on each trigger; also not the same on each gun)

Towards the end of my range time, I tried aiming the front sight up higher and it helped.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Put a laser on it and dry fire at a wall a few yards away. If the dot jumps (especially way down in your case) more than a hair when you pull the trigger, it is definitely you.

Feb 28, 2013
    I wonder what kind of marksmen surgeons and welders usually make? Both of their trades need steady hands.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Sorry to hear Your Aim Stinks :tdown:

First off you have to apply the rules of Engineering, its never the engineers fault that, you can’t login, your password don’t work, you can’t print, you can’t get email to work, can’t find the file you just saved 10 seconds ago, or your smartphone not able to get a signal, or the internet is slow.

With that in mind your aim stinks because the Target is too small or the wrong type for this range, you need a couple more or better guns, the scope is cheap you need a better one, the Ammo not the right brand or in FMJ and you need hollow point, you just bought a new gun and need to put a few hundred rounds through it before it “broken in”, You need to get those neat Yellow shooting glasses so your able to see better.

Or the non-engineering answer Your Aim Stinks. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom