• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I was going to post the problem and see if you guys could trouble shoot it but I think I figured it out.

Installed my new (today) BCG and charging handle from PSA. I yanked back about 5 times and it felt ok except for some drag. A few more pulls on the charging handle and the BCG totally bound up. After that I couldn't pull the charging handle at all. I spent a few minutes poking around the upper and working the parts individually. Everything moved freely.

I swapped a new charging handle in and, pesto, the BCG moved freely. I guess PSA will be getting an email. Thankfully I still need a barrel assembly or I would be irritated with the wait time on shipping.

Any way to check and make sure the upper is in spec? It's a High Standard flat top I pulled off primary arms for $40. The interior finish leaves a lot to be desired. It's very uneven.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I was going to post the problem and see if you guys could trouble shoot it but I think I figured it out.

Installed my new (today) BCG and charging handle from PSA. I yanked back about 5 times and it felt ok except for some drag. A few more pulls on the charging handle and the BCG totally bound up. After that I couldn't pull the charging handle at all. I spent a few minutes poking around the upper and working the parts individually. Everything moved freely.

I swapped a new charging handle in and, pesto, the BCG moved freely. I guess PSA will be getting an email. Thankfully I still need a barrel assembly or I would be irritated with the wait time on shipping.

Any way to check and make sure the upper is in spec? It's a High Standard flat top I pulled off primary arms for $40. The interior finish leaves a lot to be desired. It's very uneven.

I hate to ask the obvious question, but did you lubricate everything, before you started cycling the action?

If you did, another thing to look at would be the alignment of the upper and lower, while they are mated together. If one side of the upper sticks out father on one side than the other, that is indicative of the upper retaining pegs being out of alignment, or that the channel in the lower is slightly out of alignment. I had that happen on a brand new RRA LAR-8 that was never fired and directly from the factory.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I had a similar problem with an Engage upper receiver. I thought it was the BCM charging handle as the finish was a little rough. After swapping out three different charging handles and the problem didn't go away I decided to use some grease in the channel and that solved the problem

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I hate to ask the obvious question, but did you lubricate everything, before you started cycling the action?

If you did, another thing to look at would be the alignment of the upper and lower, while they are mated together. If one side of the upper sticks out father on one side than the other, that is indicative of the upper retaining pegs being out of alignment, or that the channel in the lower is slightly out of alignment. I had that happen on a brand new RRA LAR-8 that was never fired and directly from the factory.
    That was my first solution. Coated the BCG song CH in oil.

This is what the top side of the charging handle looks like. I'm assuming the worn spot should not look like that from charging a dozen times.

0963c9b353c942380c1078afa93a97a1.jpg

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I hate going through all of this for a $15 charging handle. PSA sent me a label to send it back for replacement. I may just buy one locally in the mean time and keep an extra around. I did file the aluminum down where the scraped metal had made a ridge on the bottom of the CH, no dice. They may or may not replace it since I did that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom