• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tylenator

May 18, 2012
    Carroll County
    I picked up a Pelican 1700 case from a friend for $80 (what a steal!). But it was missing a piece of foam so things bumped around a bit. So $30 for a piece of foam from Jo-Ann Fabrics. $10 for an electric knife from Wal-Mart. And TADA!! A case that fits MY gear, with plenty of room for more mags, tools, or more guns for $120 altogether :)

I know cutting gear shapes out in foam is nothing new, I just wanted to share. Maybe inspire someone who hadn't though of this. I'm super excited bc I'm flying this weekend and this is as safe as it can get for my gear.

Attachments

• image-3288927380.jpg
      image-3288927380.jpg
      65.9 KB · Views: 384
    • image-2522243040.jpg
      image-2522243040.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 462
    • image-1529346470.jpg
      image-1529346470.jpg
      63.8 KB · Views: 457
    • image-2619210292.jpg
      image-2619210292.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 460

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I despise cutting out shapes in foam. My OCD drives me nuts and I just don't have the skill or tools or knowhow or something to satisfy myself.

Good catch on the great deal on that case!

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    Tylenator said:
    I picked up a Pelican 1700 case from a friend for $80 (what a steal!). But it was missing a piece of foam so things bumped around a bit. So $30 for a piece of foam from Jo-Ann Fabrics. $10 for an electric knife from Wal-Mart. And TADA!! A case that fits MY gear, with plenty of room for more mags, tools, or more guns for $120 altogether :)

I know cutting gear shapes out in foam is nothing new, I just wanted to share. Maybe inspire someone who hadn't though of this. I'm super excited bc I'm flying this weekend and this is as safe as it can get for my gear.

Good job man - i think you did inspire me

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    All I see is a lot of empty room in that case! You need more toys! :D

Personally I use one of those Mobile Armory soft case/pelican case combos. I use the crap out of the soft case and then just throw it in the hard case when I travel.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Great for transportation, but don't store you guns in there long term.

Tylenator

May 18, 2012
    Carroll County
    JMintzer said:
    The foam tends to hold water... Rust...

Jamie

Ahh I didnt think of that. What about putting one of those mini dehumidifier gadgets in the case, or silica gel? Someone had recommended that on YouTube. Effective or no?

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I think its an 'open cell' vs 'closed cell' foam thing.. Pelican ships cases with different types of foam to prevent rust/moisture.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I think its an 'open cell' vs 'closed cell' foam thing.. Pelican ships cases with different types of foam to prevent rust/moisture.

But you are still sealing it in a closed case that has moisture trapped in it.
    Not a good idea

Tylenator

May 18, 2012
    Carroll County
    Mooseman said:
    Tylenator, nice job. Do you know what density foam that is?

No I do not. The 2 pieces of gray foam are whatever came with the pelican case. The green one from Jo Ann fabrics that's underneath them was less dense than the pelican foam, but it still works beautifully!

Tylenator

May 18, 2012
    Carroll County
    Jackson923 said:
    Nice Job OP!

Use some of the dessicant packs that come in you girlfriend/wife's shoe boxes and you shouldn't have an issue. I have them in all of my ammo cans.

I'm not married and currently don't have a girlfriend so I guess I'll have to buy some heels :p

Either way though I will not be storing in this case, it's just for transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom