• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avsterbone

Aug 27, 2023
    Michigan
    This past weekend I finally got to make use of my DC CCW & Pistol registration to legally carry in the District and it absolutely sucked. Carrying concealed without violating DC's 18 enumerated GFZ + their local level ban on carrying within 1,000 feet of a school which DC CCW ARE NOT EXEMPT FROM!* + ALL the federal property which is a GFZ makes for a logistical nightmare.

I found myself constantly having to pull up my Apple Maps to make sure I wasn't too close to the White House, too close to a school zone, not on the National Mall (but does the sidewalk count???), not cross the street near the capital grounds, looking through windows of restaurants to guess if they sell/serve alcohol, etc. It was VERY stressful. I was also worried that the Secret Service/MPD use some sort of thermal camera system where they can tell if someone is carrying a gun meaning it was only a matter of time before I would be swarmed by LEO (that didn't happen and I don't know if they use this tech).

While at no point was I stopped by LEO, it is basically impossible to comply with all of these rules, and no doubt it's on purpose.

Given there are only ~16k of us in the DC CCW club I'd be curious to know if there has ever been a prosecution of someone who possessed a lawfully registered handgun in DC & DC CCW in a prohibited place under DC's Admin/Criminal code.

*While subsection (c) provides an exemption for DC CCW holders it is not ALL DC CCW holders only those "...who lives or works within 1000 feet of a gun free zone" which doesn't apply to me. Also, this has nothing to do with the Federal GFSZA.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    This past weekend I finally got to make use of my DC CCW & Pistol registration to legally carry in the District and it absolutely sucked. Carrying concealed without violating DC's 18 enumerated GFZ + their local level ban on carrying within 1,000 feet of a school which DC CCW ARE NOT EXEMPT FROM!* + ALL the federal property which is a GFZ makes for a logistical nightmare.

I found myself constantly having to pull up my Apple Maps to make sure I wasn't too close to the White House, too close to a school zone, not on the National Mall (but does the sidewalk count???), not cross the street near the capital grounds, looking through windows of restaurants to guess if they sell/serve alcohol, etc. It was VERY stressful. I was also worried that the Secret Service/MPD use some sort of thermal camera system where they can tell if someone is carrying a gun meaning it was only a matter of time before I would be swarmed by LEO (that didn't happen and I don't know if they use this tech).

While at no point was I stopped by LEO, it is basically impossible to comply with all of these rules, and no doubt it's on purpose.

Given there are only ~16k of us in the DC CCW club I'd be curious to know if there has ever been a prosecution of someone who possessed a lawfully registered handgun in DC & DC CCW in a prohibited place under DC's Admin/Criminal code.

*While subsection (c) provides an exemption for DC CCW holders it is not ALL DC CCW holders only those "...who lives or works within 1000 feet of a gun free zone" which doesn't apply to me. Also, this has nothing to do with the Federal GFSZA.

Well, I recall that some poor schlub got prosecuted for having a spent shotgun shell in his vehicle.

On the other side of the ledger, some Talking Head on a TV news station brought a horribly illegal 30 round magazine and showed it on the air, and despite the general level of outrage amongst the 2A supporters in the area, it was a nothingburger. He was an Important Person, it seems.

More to the point, I'm given to understand that a goodly number of DC residents go walkabout while armed. It's one of those "concealed means concealed" things. Perhaps they feel that their lives are more important to themselves personally than bowing to an unconstitutional set of laws.

Given the general level of unlawfulness, and the rate with which it's increasing, it seems understandable.

It's a funny city, where the lawmakers are on the side of the criminals, and have no respect or care for the law-abiding. It's the sort of thing you see when all the levers of power are in the hands of the corrupt.

Inevitably, it will result in the corruption of the law-abiding, one way or another, and in the total disrespect for the law and its hypocrisy.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    " For Dummies Version" - For the Tourist/ Government areas , attempting to carry legally rounds off to pointless .

Avoid downtown , and only go to regular neighborhoods , it's * only * a major hassle ,no worse than post October Maryland .

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Pretty much what @Bob A said. "Concealed means concealed". Just blend in with everybody else. It's good that you're being mindful of course. Eventually you'll develop a routine that you're comfortable with based on habit/travel and the apprehension you're feeling will go away.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

You are way over thinking this. A lot to cover but I'll give you one, you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol but you can't drink.

I carry in DC all the time and have for years.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    You are way over thinking this. A lot to cover but I'll give you one, you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol but you can't drink.

I carry in DC all the time and have for years.
    Good point here.

OP: You'll eventually develop a routine and knowledge base from carrying regularly in DC. My suggestion: carry and start exploring the neighborhood(s) starting from your home area. See a school? Detour around the block. FYI, Whole Foods Stores have "No Carry Signs" on them from what I've seen. In DC, those signs have the force of law.

This is a helpful guide which explains things succinctly: https://handgunlaw.us/states/dc.pdf

Or if you prefer: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/dc-gun-laws/

Last edited:

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    @avsterbone you've gotten some great advice from
    @Stoveman @Sunrise and others.

On the issue of restaurants and alcohol, just to clarify a bit -- it goes by the license of the establishment and not what they call themselves (restaurant, saloon, tavern etc.)

DC Code

If you have a question about a certain location I'd either call them and ask what their license is or DC has a portal where you can look up lots of info including what kind of license the establishment is operating under (if any.)

DC Scout

I've actually looked up a few of the places that I frequent just to make sure of what license they're operating under. You can go by address or business name for your search.

I carry daily although most of my time is not spent downtown.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    @avsterbone you've gotten some great advice from
    @Stoveman @Sunrise and others.

On the issue of restaurants and alcohol, just to clarify a bit -- it goes by the license of the establishment and not what they call themselves (restaurant, saloon, tavern etc.)

DC Code

If you have a question about a certain location I'd either call them and ask what their license is or DC has a portal where you can look up lots of info including what kind of license the establishment is operating under (if any.)

DC Scout

I've actually looked up a few of the places that I frequent just to make sure of what license they're operating under. You can go by address or business name for your search.

I carry daily although most of my time is not spent downtown.
    Thanks! This is also very helpful guidance OP.

RennBaer

Aug 16, 2022
    NY-istan
    SB1 come October will pretty much make MD the worst in the nation no?

NY will still be worse, and has been for a while now. At least the MD anti-carry law has the verbiage that you must "knowingly" be in violation. Marylanders can also own fun stuff like standard capacity mags, suppressors, and SBRs. All NFA items are banned in NY except for law enforcement. Even semi-auto rifles now require a permit in order to be purchased, and NY is also implementing background checks for purchasing ammo in 2 weeks. If you hate guns and freedom in general, NY is the place to be.

ChesterW8

Mar 31, 2023
    Washington DC
    I keep a good local DC defense lawyer on speed dial in the unlikely event that I have to use my CCW. But I agree carrying in DC is a burden due to all the restrictions. What surprised me in my last renewal training was 90% of my classmates did not appear to be someone you would ever think own a gun. That tells me a lot more people are armed in DC than we think.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I keep a good local DC defense lawyer on speed dial in the unlikely event that I have to use my CCW. But I agree carrying in DC is a burden due to all the restrictions. What surprised me in my last renewal training was 90% of my classmates did not appear to be someone you would ever think own a gun. That tells me a lot more people are armed in DC than we think.
    I assume you have insurance through USCCA or CCW Safe?

Oh no doubt. As the MPD Chief disclosed back in January 2023: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/01/10/karon-blake-shooting-dc-police-chief/

He said the man is among the roughly 34,000 District residents legally registered to possess a firearm in D.C. and one of the roughly 12,000 with concealed-carry permits.

Also from January 2023: https://www.nbcwashington.com/inves...land-residents-seek-more-gun-permits/3259160/

It's pretty easy to blend in walking around DC and be the gray man. If you're going to wear the 5.11 pants (which are quite comfy!), don't wear some "screaming eagle" shirt though. :)

Last edited:

ChesterW8

Mar 31, 2023
    Washington DC
    I assume you have insurance through USCCA or CCW Safe?

Oh no doubt. As the MPD Chief disclosed back in January 2023: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/01/10/karon-blake-shooting-dc-police-chief/

He said the man is among the roughly 34,000 District residents legally registered to possess a firearm in D.C. and one of the roughly 12,000 with concealed-carry permits.

Also from January 2023: https://www.nbcwashington.com/inves...land-residents-seek-more-gun-permits/3259160/

It's pretty easy to blend in walking around DC and be the gray man. If you're going to wear the 5.11 pants (which are quite comfy!), don't wear some "screaming eagle" shirt though. :)
    I don’t use a carry insurance, just a local lawyer. Do what’s your experience with carry insurance? Is it worth it?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

I'd bet that a lot more people are armed in DC than have permits, and that for the most part, that's the extent of their criminal behavior.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    I'd bet that a lot more people are armed in DC than have permits, and that for the most part, that's the extent of their criminal behavior.

Looks like even the people with permits are doing some not so good things.

From MPD's latest weekly firearm recovery list 9/4-9/12. Total of 76 firearms recovered!

A Glock 27 .40 caliber handgun was recovered in the 1800 block of Central Place, Northeast. The following person was arrested: 36-year-old Ashley Boney, of Northeast, D.C., for Pistol License Violation and Possession with Intent to Distribute a Controlled Substance while Armed. CCN: 23-146-809

A Smith & Wesson M&P 380 Shield .380 caliber handgun was recovered in the 1500 block of Southern Avenue, Southeast. The following person was arrested: 32-year-old Rhondesia Shaqwan-Dawn Small, of Southeast, D.C., for Pistol License Violation and Possession of an Open Container of Alcohol. CCN: 23-148-031

I don't read these things every week but this is the first time I saw license violations.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Do they mean they were approved to have it at home , but were carrying ? Or they had a Carry Permit , and were in a no no zone?

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region

From MPD's latest weekly firearm recovery list 9/4-9/12. Total of 76 firearms recovered!

A Glock 27 .40 caliber handgun was recovered in the 1800 block of Central Place, Northeast. The following person was arrested: 36-year-old Ashley Boney, of Northeast, D.C., for Pistol License Violation and Possession with Intent to Distribute a Controlled Substance while Armed. CCN: 23-146-809

A Smith & Wesson M&P 380 Shield .380 caliber handgun was recovered in the 1500 block of Southern Avenue, Southeast. The following person was arrested: 32-year-old Rhondesia Shaqwan-Dawn Small, of Southeast, D.C., for Pistol License Violation and Possession of an Open Container of Alcohol. CCN: 23-148-031

I don't read these things every week but this is the first time I saw license violations.
    Now that's interesting... Haven't seen this mentioned before either.

avsterbone

Aug 27, 2023
    Michigan

Where do you find these weekly reports?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom