• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    Alrighty, I've got another question for you guys...and don't laugh, even though I know it's silly and I'm way late to the party...LOL

Looking to get a bolt action .22......yes, yes, I know I should already have atleast one, but I don't...

So, I'm looking at one I can plink with and eventually, most likely, use in matches...please don't mention Vudoo Rifles, sure they are nice, but they aren't going to happen to me...

Is CZ 457 still a good one to get or are there some better options to start out with?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The CZ is very nice if you're not going to spend Anschutz money. The Ruger RPR is a different direction but the owners I know like them very much.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Ruger American Rimfire, if you want to go a little ghetto.
    I've got 2 and they have very nice triggers out of the box.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    The savage Mark II rifles are very simple and accurate and also quite affordable last I checked. My dad bought one from walmart for 100 bucks probably 15 years ago and it is a fantastic shooter. I think the same basic one is more like $200 retail now.

Looks like the basic one even comes with the accutrigger now. Our older model didnt have that.

Jake4now

Not Disapproved
    Jul 20, 2022
    Baltimore County MD
    Christensen Arms. Their older .22s had some ejection issues, but it seems to be a well-made rifle, very light and you can get one from Bass pro for $650-$800. Mine experienced the ejection issue, and it is on the way back from them as we speak.

I also have the Savage Mark II. It is also a fantastic gun, but not in the same league as the Christensen Ranger.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    +1 on the savage mark 2 if you're on a budget. I impulse bought one on consignment for 100 bucks and it's a squirrel slayer and a perfect fundamentals piece for new shooters. Been hearing that the CZ 457 is a tack driver right out the box.

Chase Houston

MDS, MSI, NRA Lifetime
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2022
    Chevy Chase, MD
    You can't have much more fun than shooting .22s
    As said earlier, Ruger and Savage have some very good inexpensive models. Marlin used to have some reliable, accurate models as well and you can find them on the various gun websites for south of $200.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I like the cz rimfires. My son has a Ruger american compact in 22lr. Nice gun. It was his first gun. I have a 452 american and a 455 trainer. Been eyeing a 457. Either a jaguar or lux.

owldo

Ultimate Member
    Alrighty, I've got another question for you guys...and don't laugh, even though I know it's silly and I'm way late to the party...LOL

Looking to get a bolt action .22......yes, yes, I know I should already have atleast one, but I don't...

So, I'm looking at one I can plink with and eventually, most likely, use in matches...please don't mention Vudoo Rifles, sure they are nice, but they aren't going to happen to me...

Is CZ 457 still a good one to get or are there some better options to start out with?
    I own a 455 American 3 Barrel ... CZ makes fine rifles but there part supply sucks ... I have been trying to get a bolt extractor for my 455 for years with no success. Stick with American made. I have a C&R and I have 100 year old Mossbergs that I can still get parts for ... Just Sayin !

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I would go with a CZ457 (the MTR is really accurate and pretty) or a Tikka T1X. You'll find great aftermarket support for both and both are really accurate.

A step above that would be the bergara B14R. It's a 700 action footprint so it will have the best aftermarket support. You can buy just the barreled action for the same price as the rifles above if you have a chassis or other stock laying around from a center-fire rig.

I had a Ruger precision rimfire and they are great starter guns, but I couldn't stand the flex in the butt stock.

One thing to remember is to budget in to get extra magazines. Some of the rimfire magazines can be finicky.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I'm not laughing. I was actually researching non-semi-automatic .22's last week. Here in PA you can hunt coyotes year-round without a permit with any caliber as long as it's not semi-automatic.

We live right near a forest so it would be nice to have something to shoot at the coyotes with when they come. They've already been spotted in this area.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I bought a Woodchucker a bunch of years ago. Cool little bolt action, open sights and surprisingly accurate. Its a mini but made by Anshutz.

I also really like the .22 upper I bought from a fellow MDS member. PEPR knockoff scope mount and a Burris Fullfield 2 makes it a blast!

Czguy

Jul 12, 2022
    Maryland
    Anyone in the interested in coming out and testing your skill? Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol Club will be having a Rimfire PRS Match on February 4th. There will also be a Tactical Bench Rest Match at the same time in conjunction with the PRS match. The Tactical Bench Rest shoots the same course of fire as the PRS shooters, just from the bench. Targets will be at various distances out to 210 yards.

Bridgeville does have a bunkhouse available for $25/ night for those traveling from outside the area. RV sites are also available with 50amp hookup. For more information please email Bridgevillenrl22@gmail.com.

Below are the links to register for the matches:

Rimfire PRS

Tactical Bench Rest

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom