• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Was driving home last week and got rear ended. (Road was blocked off by FD and DNR, and the guy behind me didn't see me stop). DNR asked for the usual paper work and I asked if he wanted to also see my carry permit. He said yes and asked where I was wearing it. I told him. He turned my paperwork over the investigating MSP trooper. Trooper returned my paperwork, insurance exchange information for 3 vehicles involved and my carry permit. No mention of the firearm, didn't ask to see it, nobody else on the scene even knew it was there.

Now about that replacement car...

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    Did DNR ask if you were carrying a firearm? I'm of the mindset that if they don't ask, I'm not telling. If they ask, I will not lie.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I understand I was not legally required to inform. However, i felt more comfortable initiating the conversation, particularly since I was crawling in and out of a disabled car trying to find where my phone had slid off to. The DNR officer and Fire department were there working a brush fire and therefore he was already on the scene when the incident occurred. The DNR officer seemed slightly flustered and said "don't reach for it, MSP may want to see it". (They didn't.) I assume DNR doesn't have the same training and experience with traffic control as MSP. Overall I was quite satisfied that MSP is a professional and trained police force. I know its not often that people come to these forums to share positive feedback on LEO. I think that tendency is unfair.

Edwonbass

Jan 28, 2021
    Union Mills, MD
    In my case, I would probably inform if I was just wearing a t-shirt. A jacket or hoodie, not so much. I haven't quite figured out how to make appendix carry disappear. Pistol is roughly Taurus G3c sized. Ok , it's a G3c. Maybe it's just me but I think my printing can be seen from space. I would rather mention it then it becoming an issue if I was asked to step out of the car.
    OP, I'm glad it went smooth. I think it's becoming more normal now for LEOs to encounter folks carrying.

outrider58

Call me Gee
    MDS Supporter
    In my case, I would probably inform if I was just wearing a t-shirt. A jacket or hoodie, not so much. I haven't quite figured out how to make appendix carry disappear. Pistol is roughly Taurus G3c sized. Ok , it's a G3c. Maybe it's just me but I think my printing can be seen from space. I would rather mention it then it becoming an issue if I was asked to step out of the car.
    OP, I'm glad it went smooth. I think it's becoming more normal now for LEOs to encounter folks carrying.
    You make a good point and may have also played into the OP's thinking.

As a second thought on my part, I might, as a safety issue, included my carry permit along with the other pertinent info only if I was require to leave my vehicle, as in the case of an auto accident. Other than that, nope.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I understand I was not legally required to inform. However, i felt more comfortable initiating the conversation, particularly since I was crawling in and out of a disabled car trying to find where my phone had slid off to. The DNR officer and Fire department were there working a brush fire and therefore he was already on the scene when the incident occurred. The DNR officer seemed slightly flustered and said "don't reach for it, MSP may want to see it". (They didn't.) I assume DNR doesn't have the same training and experience with traffic control as MSP. Overall I was quite satisfied that MSP is a professional and trained police force. I know its not often that people come to these forums to share positive feedback on LEO. I think that tendency is unfair.

I think your reasoning and situational awareness is sound.

I am of the mindset of dont inform unless asked. That said crawling in and out of a disabled car, it could happen that the weapon is seen depending on how, where and what you are carrying. When that happens, the reaction of the LEO cannot be predicted. Some may not say anything, some may ask for your permit, some may draw for officer safety.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I think your reasoning and situational awareness is sound.

I am of the mindset of dont inform unless asked. That said crawling in and out of a disabled car, it could happen that the weapon is seen depending on how, where and what you are carrying. When that happens, the reaction of the LEO cannot be predicted. Some may not say anything, some may ask for your permit, some may draw for officer safety.
    .. and if that occurs everybody on the scene is focusing on my firearm and their own safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom