• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    OK, so I am lurking on the VAguntrader.com forum and I see this LEFT handed bow for sale. 300 obo dated almost a month ago.

Hey I don't know squat about bows and very little about anything else. All I know is it is quit to shoot and I would like to go in my backyard and put some holes in targets anytime I feel like it.
    I had him send me some pictures and I sent them to a big hunting enthusiast that I work with. Said with all the extra stuff that it was a good deal but ask him what his bottom line was.
    So I sent him a PM if we met in Dahlgren. He said if I come to Fredericksburg the bottom line is 250. So after a nice drive this morning I am now a proud owner of a Parker Trailblazer XP Left hand
    29"-31" adjustable draw length 70# draw weight came with peep sight,whisker biscuit,octane stab. , apex sights, gold tip arrows w/ luminocks , 3 3 blade Rage broad heads and a carrying case

The question is who do y'all recommend to set it up for me? I am in SOMD but am willing to travel as you can tell by were I picked it up from.
    Thanks,

Tony

img_0440.jpg

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    is it set to your draw length? and weight you like? I am on the fence about taking it to bay pro...they can change a string and get it lined up but they add the metal noc holders on and the "D" loop which you really only need the "D" loop. I dont know of anyone in SOMD that deals with bows other than Freds in waldorf. once you get it laser sighted for alignement then get it tuned to your shooting...

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Most places want you to buy their stuff. With a few tools and manuals and you tube as your friend you can have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. The knowlege and confidence gained will let you deal with things you never imagined. I got my first used setup 20 yrs ago and had to figure it all out myself.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    try bay pro shop at rt 260 and rt 4. i know they sell bows and fix them (but then again.. that was long time ago and havent been there since ownership change).. they maybe able to help you out.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    I have time so I could do the research. If I went to a shop I would pay them and buy a mechanical release, arm guard, sling, practice arrows, target, etc. Which I would hope make them happy.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I asked my dad if he could recemend anyone and he said to call Ultimate Bow Works down in Welcome Maryland. If it has crawled, walked, flown, or swam my dad has hunted it with a bow and he said this guy can do it all for you. Send me a pm and I can give you his info if your interested.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    umm.. i would suggest for one especially beginners... them string can be a bitch when it hits you.. ;)

I thought the same...but my draw length was incorrect...i had a couple light scrapes on my arm but it was due to the draw length and me not holding the bow correctly...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I thought the same...but my draw length was incorrect...i had a couple light scrapes on my arm but it was due to the draw length and me not holding the bow correctly...

the key.. LOL

since its his first bow.. you know how that goes.. ;)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I ended up nicking/cutting a thread on my new bow string because of the stupid arm guard:sad20: so I vowed not to scrape my arm and hold it correctly and not use the stupid arm guard:D

see.. and how long you had it? lol

cheap but does its job..
    images

Micktaco

May 2, 2009
    Walkersville
    Take off the sight and try to learn to shoot it instinctively for a while before using the sights. Google instinctive bow shooting, there are a few good videos on youtube and the net.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Thanks. I will check them out. I have always shot toy bows and hit the target so I guess that is instinctive shooting.

bpfeif1

May 31, 2012
    Parkville
    Not super familiar with SOMD shops. I usually go to autumn sky outfitters. They have a decent website and have always been good about contacting me back and giving good prices. Looks like a nice setup you got, congrats and best luck!

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    I have been busy and things have gotten out of control as usual.

I went to Bay Pro Shop on 260. Actually I called to see if they had someone who could help me with my compound bow as I was new to the sport. The guy on the phone said their bow guy, Chuck, was there and to come on by.
    So I went up and Chuck was really helpful and a great guy to deal with. I spent some money but it was worth it. Prices are not bad as I have shopped the Internet and they are right in the ball park.
    My two boys and myself have had a ball with the bow. So you know what that leads to. That's right......MORE BOWS! On ebay and found another lefty compound bow for my oldest son. It's a PSE with case, stabilizer, hand sling, silencers, sights, cammo backpack and never been used.
    Then I bought a PSE from a MD shooter member RH for my youngest son.
    Took the lefty PSE to have Chuck at Ron's Bay Pro shop and he was great again. Now I just like to let you all know that I went in between the two times meeting with Chuck just to get some more arrows and the young guy was not real enthusiastic to help cut some already made up arrows and put the tips on while I waited. He wasn't really doing anything and another gentlemen spoke up and told him to do them now. I think the moral of my story is call first and make sure Chuck is there to help with and bow stuff.
    Chuck had told me the first time I was there if they had to make up the arrows it would be a wait but the ones in the boxes in front of the counter are made up and just need to be cut. I knew how long of an arrow I needed because Chuck measured me with my bow and cut a half dozen for me on my first visit.
    I felt the one young guy that wasn't to customer focused was probably already talked to by the older gentleman that told him to make my arrows up for me so I didn't mention it to Chuck.

I am impressed with how consistent the bow is. I worked my way out to 40 yards and three arrows in the kill zone one after the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom