• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I did it! I finally got my first gun, all nice and registered and legal here in DC. And after going through the DC registration process, all I have to say is you people in Maryland have it easy.

So for my first I got the ever popular CZ 82. Bought through Sovereign Guns in NC. To be honest, I think they screwed me a little on the shipping. But then again, when few others are willing to ship to DC, beggars can't be choosers. Now I just need to get some ammo!

Attachments

• IMAG0103.jpg
      IMAG0103.jpg
      68 KB · Views: 313

Gfacter

Oct 9, 2008
    Metro MD
    Your allowed to own Ammo in DC? :)

Kidding, I have 2 CZ82's, but can you get ammo shipped to DC?

I have not seen 9x18 Makarov Ammo at local stores.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Congrats. Care to share with the group your experience in going through the DC approval process? Must have been interesting.

(FYI until now I never thought to put the words "gun", "Maryland", and "easy" together in the same paragraph...)

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    congrats... just curious how long did that take start to finnish and was it easy for you to do? just curious about the process for Dc residents heard a lot about it but don't know anyon ethat's gone through it

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Your allowed to own Ammo in DC? :)

Kidding, I have 2 CZ82's, but can you get ammo shipped to DC?

I have not seen 9x18 Makarov Ammo at local stores.

Legally a person can have ammo shipped to DC. However if they do not own a registered firearm in that caliber they are in violation.

Some companies will ship to DC, some refuse. It seems to be about 50/50.

congrats... just curious how long did that take start to finnish and was it easy for you to do? just curious about the process for Dc residents heard a lot about it but don't know anyon ethat's gone through it

The hardest part was finding time to actually get the gun over to MPD headquarters. I think that is the most screwed up part of the whole process, the fact that you actually have to carry around an unregistered - and hence illegal - firearm through the city. I'm actually using a sick day today - legitimately. So that made it double the fun - fighting city hall and a cold at the same time.

But once you enter the building, they take your gun and walk it over to the registration office. From there you have to turn in a bunch of forms, including an application filled out in quadruplicate. It asks for all of your jobs and residences for the past 5 years, and asks what the purpose of the gun s and how it will be stored. Oh, and the form misspells firearm (firarm). Then you need proof that you took a training course - something like the NRA FIRST course. And then a notarized document where you swear that you haven't committed any of the listed crimes. Once you turn those in, they take the gun for a ballistics check. Then I had to go another floor in the building to pay my fees, and wait behind everyone else in the city paying a fee for one reason or another. And they were all angry. After that, had to go yet another floor and get fingerprinted. Once that was done, I went back to the registration office and to take a written test to prove that I know dc's gun laws. After I passed that, they let me go with the gun. The whole process took about an hour and a a half. Oh, and I have to come back on Wednesday to see if I passed their background check.

And this was to register a C&R. If I wanted to buy a new gun, the process would have been longer by several days. So when I say you Marylanders have it easy, you do.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The hardest part was finding time to actually get the gun over to MPD headquarters. I think that is the most screwed up part of the whole process, the fact that you actually have to carry around an unregistered - and hence illegal - firearm through the city. I'm actually using a sick day today - legitimately. So that made it double the fun - fighting city hall and a cold at the same time.

But once you enter the building, they take your gun and walk it over to the registration office. From there you have to turn in a bunch of forms, including an application filled out in quadruplicate. It asks for all of your jobs and residences for the past 5 years, and asks what the purpose of the gun s and how it will be stored. Oh, and the form misspells firearm (firarm). Then you need proof that you took a training course - something like the NRA FIRST course. And then a notarized document where you swear that you haven't committed any of the listed crimes. Once you turn those in, they take the gun for a ballistics check. Then I had to go another floor in the building to pay my fees, and wait behind everyone else in the city paying a fee for one reason or another. And they were all angry. After that, had to go yet another floor and get fingerprinted. Once that was done, I went back to the registration office and to take a written test to prove that I know dc's gun laws. After I passed that, they let me go with the gun. The whole process took about an hour and a a half. Oh, and I have to come back on Wednesday to see if I passed their background check.

And this was to register a C&R. If I wanted to buy a new gun, the process would have been longer by several days. So when I say you Marylanders have it easy, you do.

For your next C&R (;)) you can probably register it in under an hour. You do not have to deal with the finger printing and training forms. Also that line at Room 1157 (I think that is right), you can move to the front of the line if you show the person printing tickets your receipt from gun registration.

Welcome to the DC C&R Club! I have a free box of Silver Bear 9mm Makarov as a MDS karma congratulations for completing the registration process. We need more C&R in DC.

PM for my address and when I will be home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom