My First Krag (there may be others in the future!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'm really getting attracted to this rifle--mostly because of the fact that there's so much history attached to them over the brief time that they were in U.S. service.

Assessment of my first Krag-Jorgensen:

I need to do an upper band replacement on it, flip the lower band around like it should be, and clean it up. It will definitely be shot, but with the cost of ammo for it being pretty high, it probably won't get shot a whole bunch. Besides ... I've got plenty of other stuff to shoot that's cheaper to shoot, and less of a risk to the firearm.

I'll have to post photos later on, and I need to drift out the front sight blade pin before I can finish it up, but so far it looks rather nice. The learning curve on these (especially rear sights) is kind of steep, but picking through Poyer, here's what I seem to have:

• Model 1898 rifle
    • Manufactured about mid-month of July in the calendar year 1899 (and so dated as per the serial number).
    • Because it was manufactured in July of 1899, that was the beginning of the military's fiscal year for 1900, so the stock is so dated. I thought this was a mis-match at first, but it doesn't seem to be.
    • Because it was manufactured in mid-July of 1899, it should have been "born" with a Model 1896 rear sight (type 3).
    • If it had been made after the end of July, it would have been fitted out with a Model 1898 rear sight (then probably re-fitted, etc.)
    • The best that I can figure, this one now has a Model 1902 type 4 or 5 rear sight on it ... probably type 5.
    • My references seem to suggest that the Type 5 sights were cobbled up for marksmanship purposes, put onto some Army and National Guard rifles, and also put on some rifles sold by the CMP in the 1920s. I've considered going back to an 1896, but I may just leave it as is. It's generally "period correct," and it's part of the rifle's history.
    • My best S.W.A.G. on this, at present, is that it most likely was a National Guard rifle ... but that's only poorly-educated speculation, at this point. Lots more research to be done.
    • I've got the cleaning rod, oiler, and what appears to be a correct type RIA sling for it that's dated 1904. I think RIA leatherwork only started being dated in 1903.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Did I miss pics?
    Until I see some, I'll post my favorite Krag.

Attachments

• SchultzKrag.jpg
      SchultzKrag.jpg
      40.8 KB · Views: 204
    Krags were rarely assembled "in order", so a stock not matching the receiver is commonplace.
    Factoring in the above line, your rifle originally left SA with an 1898 rear sight. The sights were added with the handguards and stocks, not when the receiver was made.
    Tidbit for you- don't try to remove the handguard without first removing the rear sight. This will usually cause the handguard to break.

Oh yeah, someone had to do it...:needpics:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Congrats, Krags are one of my favorites. I so almost bought the one that has been in the classified but ended up with 2 Savage 99 Takedowns in instead in relatively scarce calibers (choices you know!)

Krag's run really well with 220 grain handloads. Its pretty low pressure as long as you don't go wild, so you should get 4 to 5 runs out of the brass easy.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    OK, you guys, I'm trying to catch up on my photography, but I've acquired a lot of stuff since the last time I dragged out the camera.

Attachments

• AA_K_Rt.jpg
      AA_K_Rt.jpg
      18.3 KB · Views: 134
    • AA_K_Rt_2.jpg
      AA_K_Rt_2.jpg
      35.8 KB · Views: 132
    • AA_K_Rear_St_1.jpg
      AA_K_Rear_St_1.jpg
      40.4 KB · Views: 133
    • AA_K_Rear_St_2.jpg
      AA_K_Rear_St_2.jpg
      33.7 KB · Views: 134
    • AA_K_RIA_Sling.jpg
      AA_K_RIA_Sling.jpg
      74.8 KB · Views: 135
    • AA_K_Lt_1.jpg
      AA_K_Lt_1.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 131
    • AA_K_Accessories_2.jpg
      AA_K_Accessories_2.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 131
    • AA_K_Accessories_1.jpg
      AA_K_Accessories_1.jpg
      56.6 KB · Views: 133
    • AA_K_Rt_4.jpg
      AA_K_Rt_4.jpg
      58 KB · Views: 133
    • AA_K_Stock_1.jpg
      AA_K_Stock_1.jpg
      60.4 KB · Views: 132

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Here are some additional crummy photos, but they show features that the Krag fans will want to see.

Attachments

• AA_K_Stock_2.jpg
      AA_K_Stock_2.jpg
      41.8 KB · Views: 129
    • AA_K_Rear_St_3.jpg
      AA_K_Rear_St_3.jpg
      44.8 KB · Views: 128
    • AA_K_Rt_10.jpg
      AA_K_Rt_10.jpg
      36.4 KB · Views: 126
    • AA_K_Rt_11.jpg
      AA_K_Rt_11.jpg
      42 KB · Views: 131
    • AA_K_Rt_12.jpg
      AA_K_Rt_12.jpg
      29.6 KB · Views: 129
    • AA_K_Rt_13.jpg
      AA_K_Rt_13.jpg
      28.3 KB · Views: 127

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Sweet! Love the sling too. Like the Garand, every collector should have at least one nice example of the US Krag rifle in his collection. Time to start looking at Norwegian and Danish Krags too!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Sweet! Love the sling too. Like the Garand, every collector should have at least one nice example of the US Krag rifle in his collection. Time to start looking at Norwegian and Danish Krags too!

I'm always looking ... but need to slow down on the buying part. Have a Spreewerk P38 inbound. That sling was a great bonus. When I first saw it, all dried out, it looked like the date was 1964. It was only after I got some nourishment into the leather that I saw it was a 1904 period-correct sling. The original upper band looked like someone had tried to pry out a peened-on stacking swivel, so I had to pop for a new band with swivel ... and then, of course, the same guy had oilers and 3-pc rods ....

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Curious to see your Spreewerke P38. Was watching the Legacy auction up on GB for a nice example of one. Somd_mustangs knows I've been keeping an eye out for a Spreewerke P38. I'm so particular that it can take me quite a while to track down the right example at the right price.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Is Sgt Schultz holding a Norwegian or Danish Krag that he liberated during a previous campaign? Couldn't possibly be a Hollywood prop!

I recall reading once he (John Banner) refused to hold a German Rifle in the filming of the series.
    The IMFDB shows that they used 1903 and Kraig rifles for props but don't know why he would not have wanted to use a 1903 since it looks closer to a Kar 98K.

I know Banner was Jewish along with several others so maybe he did not want to touch a German rifle?

I have been on the search for a Kraig Carbine, but am still hesitant to buy cause I don't know how to spot a cut down sporterized one just yet.
    I saw one last week and it had a peep sight attached to the back like it was for target shooting. Did not spend the time to see if it was removable or not. I'd like to know if it was a carbine or sporterized/cut down stock. I just took a few pictures to research later but have not done so.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I recall reading once he (John Banner) refused to hold a German Rifle in the filming of the series.
    The IMFDB shows that they used 1903 and Kraig rifles for props but don't know why he would not have wanted to use a 1903 since it looks closer to a Kar 98K.

I know Banner was Jewish along with several others so maybe he did not want to touch a German rifle?

I have been on the search for a Kraig Carbine, but am still hesitant to buy cause I don't know how to spot a cut down sporterized one just yet.
    I saw one last week and it had a peep sight attached to the back like it was for target shooting. Did not spend the time to see if it was removable or not. I'd like to know if it was a carbine or sporterized/cut down stock. I just took a few pictures to research later but have not done so.

Squaregrouper is a font of info on the Krag carbine and how to spot the difference between the real deal and a humped example. You'd be wise to touch base with him if you find something interesting 'cause we're talking significant coin for a proper carbine.

THAT is a fine specimen of a Krag!!!
    The fact that you have Brophy's book is a bonus. I'm a self professed Kragaphile and I don't have Brophy's book.
    When you get a chance, poke around at Jouster.com and kragcollectorsassociation.com. Two members, Dick Hosmer and Joe Farmers (5madfarmers) are likely the most knowledgeable Krag guys alive.

Squaregrouper is a font of info on the Krag carbine and how to spot the difference between the real deal and a humped example. You'd be wise to touch base with him if you find something interesting 'cause we're talking significant coin for a proper carbine.

Thanks for the compliment.

Carbine Purchase Rules:
    Rule #1- Run away from anything being sold as a '98 Carbine. It is most likely a fake.
    Rule #2- Study the differences between a rifle stock and a carbine stock. It is VERY hard to fake a carbine stock.
    Rule #3- Carbine barrels are exactly 22" long.
    Rule #4- All 1899's are carbines and can be bought for much less than other carbines

If something passes the above rules, feel free to have me take a look at the rest of it.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I've shot a LOT of military bolt action rifles, and my Dad's Krag has THE smoothest action of anything I have felt, by far.

Smooth as KY on ice :rolleyes:

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks like a very nice rifle. My M1898 Springfield and M1889 Dane are some of my favorite pieces in my collection. Now you just need a Norwegian and a Danish one.

I'd like to collect more of them if they weren't so expensive.

Congrats, Krags are one of my favorites. I so almost bought the one that has been in the classified but ended up with 2 Savage 99 Takedowns in instead in relatively scarce calibers (choices you know!)

Krag's run really well with 220 grain handloads. Its pretty low pressure as long as you don't go wild, so you should get 4 to 5 runs out of the brass easy.

I'm a purist, so I load the closest thing to the original military cartridge...
    220 grain .30 caliber bullet with 40 grains of 4350.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom