• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Not sure if this is the right place to post, so apologize a head of time just in case.

So, my no contract fios $40 a month is gonna expired end of the month. The funny thing is that they tried to retain me as a customer by offering a higher speed but will cost $65/mo.

Took a quick look, comcast has a $50/mo. Anyone live in the north part of monthomery county have any input of any other options out there? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaded'05

Zombie Task Force
    Mar 24, 2013
    Germantown
    Do yourself a favor and stay away from Comcast. The worst customer service you will find. I just switched to fios and will never look back.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Do yourself a favor and stay away from Comcast. The worst customer service you will find. I just switched to fios and will never look back.
    Imo they are both horrible. I switched from fios to comcast last year and I've been pretty happy. Comcast offered me more services for $75 a month less $130 vs $200 for fios. I told fios I wanted to stay with them and their best offer was to raise my same package to $205 :mad:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Hell I just dropped Verizon internet, phone and tv. I looked around and couldn't find a service that I thought would be worth the money. So as of today we don't have any of the 3 services. I'm using a wireless hotspot to surf the web and for the first time we don't have a single TV on in the house. It's kinda nice.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I'm using a wireless hotspot to surf the web and for the first time we don't have a single TV on in the house. It's kinda nice.

Wow, I'm jealous. If not for the missus & the kid, I wouldn't have any tv either.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Wow, I'm jealous. If not for the missus & the kid, I wouldn't have any tv either.

The wife is doing something I haven't seen her do in years. She's cutting out coupons and going through grocery ads for this weeks shopping. She's actually making a weekly menu. She hasn't done that in years :D.

My wife's 6 year old Granddaughter lives with us (her dead beat parents too) and she came up to me and showed me the book she was going to read tonight. She goes back to school tomorrow.

rttr6

Oct 25, 2012
    mont County
    Check to see if RCN is in your area. I got naked internet for $40 a month (50mps). Works great. I dumped verizon due to poor service.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    We booted Verizon out and would like to boot out comcast as well.

We currently use comcast for internet only. It works ok and we don't have too many problems, except internet goes down when the power goes out which can be frustrating because we then lose basic telephone (ip based).

Also. Over the air HDTV is GREAT. You can't beat it for the price!!!

Just, got a new station on 14.3, GRIT TV, so far, some great movies....
    Rob

_JT_

Jan 30, 2009
    Cecil County
    We booted Verizon out and would like to boot out comcast as well.

We currently use comcast for internet only. It works ok and we don't have too many problems, except internet goes down when the power goes out which can be frustrating because we then lose basic telephone (ip based).

Also. Over the air HDTV is GREAT. You can't beat it for the price!!!

Just, got a new station on 14.3, GRIT TV, so far, some great movies....
    Rob

Get yourself a battery backup system or I use a car battery jumper that has two 12V DC outlets. Plug your modem/Router in and you should still have a signal if your run is fiber comcast has roughly 5 hours of power on the lines until they need to be charged with a generator.

I picked one up at BJ's and it works great when I don't feel like firing up the whole house generator when its likely to be a quick outage.
    imageService

awdnick2986

MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2013
    We got rid of Verizon TV and Internet almost 2 years ago and went to Comcast internet only. They had a great 1 year promotion for internet for 19.99/month. I bought my own modem/wireless router and a few streaming devices and pay 7.99/month for Netflix and Hulu Plus. After the one year deal my rate with Comcast is 34.99/ month for the basic of basic internet services. I can't complain because it is cheap and works 99% of the time. I am so happy we cut the cord and stopped paying for cable as I now find myself not mindlessly watching TV but actually watching shows I want to if I so choose. If there is nothing on I simply have the TV off and it is kind of peaceful. I luckily haven't had the pleasure of calling Comcast and dealing with what I have heard was sub-par customer service so I can't comment on them yet. Hope this helps in your decisions.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I have Comcast and have had it for a long time. No service issues. Very fast Internet (120mb typical for me on speedtest.net). Great pic on tv (HD). VOIP works fine.

chairyland

Jul 7, 2014
    Howard County
    For anyone going the Netflix route that doesn't mind changing their DNS settings on their router, services like adfreetime.com are $2/mo and allows you to region-unlock Netflix. You can see what countries offer what movies and TV shows on moreflicks.com.

For example, Frozen is on Netflix Netherlands, while The Hobbit is on Netflix Ireland and UK.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    This. Stick with Verzion. I left Comcast two years ago and love it. :party29:

You will think that until Verizon screws up your billing, like so many others. Then you will like that Comcast, while it sucks, at least got your bill right. Just google Verizon FIOS billing error.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    i had comcast, i hated it. i have fios now. Its more expensive than it should be. however, it works all the time and it is fast and reliable. It sucks that there isn't another choice too keep the comcast/verizon prices in check.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Wait till you have an equipment problem with Verizon. If I fast forwarded near the end of any program recorded on the DVR it would restart at the very beginning.

1st you talk to a computer that tries to "help you" It doesn't understand any of your yes - no answers so it asks you the same questions over and over. Eventually you get to talk to someone in Pakistan or India. He has you unplug every connection and cable. He reboots your system and tells you the problem is solved. About 3 calls later you get to talk to someone in the US, they send someone to your house with a new box to fix the problem.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    If you live just a little off the beaten path like I do, you don't have to ask if Fios or Comcast is better. You get DSL whether you like it or not :)

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I've had Comcast business service (internet only) at my house for more than five years. Screaming fast. Very little outage time. Folks at the support number are very good. Only real problem I've had was an issue outside in the service box two months ago that was causing high packet loss. A tech came out the next day and quickly fixed it. He was very professional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom