• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    January 2, 2013

I am writing in response to your communication regarding the recent school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. As a father and grandfather with many educators in my family, this tragedy touched me deeply. We are all keeping the Newtown families in our thoughts and prayers.

I believe strongly in the right to bear arms. But, like all constitutional rights, this isn't absolute. I do not believe that private citizens should be able to purchase weapons of war that can out-shoot our police officers and kill dozens of people within seconds, as recent tragedies have proven. The Newtown shooter, the Columbine killers and the gunman in Aurora all used assault weapons designed for our troops on the frontlines. The gunmen in Tucson, Fort Hood, Virginia Tech and Newtown were all armed with high-capacity magazines. In fact, the Newtown shooter was armed with enough ammunition to kill every student in the school.

As Congress renews its examination of our country's gun laws in the days ahead, I will continue to strive for legislation that strikes a fair and reasonable balance between the right to bear arms and making ultra-powerful weapons readily available to citizens intent on harming others. I will also fight for a more comprehensive solution that includes efforts to better identify and treat the mentally ill.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if you have any questions or comments. To receive additional information about issues that are facing Congress, Maryland, and the Nation that may affect you and your community, please visit my Web site at www.dutch.house.gov and sign up for my periodic e-mail newsletter.

Sincerely,

C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger
    Member of Congress

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    At least he wrote you guys back, I haven't received anything. His response doesn't surprise me.

G

George

Dutch is a douche he is no better then Feinstein. He has always been anti 2a.

ASM80

Mar 10, 2012
    Hereford, MD
    Yes, he's an O'Malley puppet these days. You dont want to bite the hand that feeds you?

I got the same response, I can't believe he's sending out mass formatted emails with blatant lies and misinformation.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    At least he had the guts to respond honestly. I suggest we try to educate him on the following points;

--the primary reason for 2A was to keep keep the citizens armed to defend and reply to a tyrannical gov't; that gov't, esp in light of internment camps during WWII, Katrina, , drones on US soil, Kent State, Branch Davidians, Ruby Ridge, NDAA and countless other historical acts, will have M16's and other 'weapons of wa'r to use at their disposal.

--there is no Constitutional right to safety; the founding fathers felt that to be a personal responsibility and knew that other rights were more important, hence, 1A, 2A and the rest.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    uhm, it doesn't matter what the hell he believes at all. He is not elected to believe anything, he is elected to act on the will of those he represents, using his platform to further his "beliefs" is an act of treason.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    "I do not believe that private citizens should be able to purchase weapons of war"

They can't do that under present law

" The Newtown shooter, the Columbine killers and the gunman in Aurora all used assault weapons designed for our troops on the frontlines."

No, they did not. They used AR15's

This is the problem. Most of the politicians deciding the future of gun control have no clue regarding the facts. The MUST be educated by knowledgable people and not rely on the news media.

olebess

Jan 11, 2011
    MontCo
    This is the problem. Most of the politicians deciding the future of gun control have no clue regarding the facts. The MUST be educated by knowledgable people and not rely on the news media.

I think they know exactly what they're doing. We shouldn't stop trying to educate them but I think they will reject your educated arguments because it doesn't fit into their paradigm of disarming Americans.

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    "I believe strongly in the right to bear arms. But, like all constitutional rights, this isn't absolute."

:lol:

This part of the letter makes me sick.
    Really??? All constitutional rights are NOT absolute?????

BMD084

Dec 31, 2012
    SOMD
    Polititians do What they want. Votes don't count, signing petitions are meaningless and writing representatives get nowhere. We've seen this over and over again. Its a sad reality but it certainly does not mean give up, its doesn't mean don't go vote or stop voicing your opinions.

Please do not read What I'm saying incorrectly. It feels like all our efforts are for nothing. These anti American anti gun people are demolishing what we all believe in. FREEDOM!

I keep finding myself saying "Did that really just happen?" And "How can they(politicians) get away with that?"

I commend all who are standing up for our Rights and taking a stand just as our founding fathers did. Its our turn to carry the torch and defend our Constitution.

Any talk about a modern day militia?

Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Baltimore County, MD, USA
    I disagree with Dutch. Outshoot our LEOs? Right. If a shooting of national significance occurred in MD, local SWAT and other agencies would be armed with their select fire variants. I'm sick of the uninformed pairing semi and full auto together and acting like its so easy to obtain them. Sure, other states may have less strict purchase laws concerning semi, but in no way are they easy, especially in this state.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    January 2, 2013

I am writing in response to your communication regarding the recent school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. As a father and grandfather with many educators in my family, this tragedy touched me deeply. We are all keeping the Newtown families in our thoughts and prayers.

I believe strongly in the right to bear arms. But, like all constitutional rights, this isn't absolute. I do not believe that private citizens should be able to purchase weapons of war that can out-shoot our police officers and kill dozens of people within seconds, as recent tragedies have proven. The Newtown shooter, the Columbine killers and the gunman in Aurora all used assault weapons designed for our troops on the frontlines. The gunmen in Tucson, Fort Hood, Virginia Tech and Newtown were all armed with high-capacity magazines. In fact, the Newtown shooter was armed with enough ammunition to kill every student in the school.

As Congress renews its examination of our country's gun laws in the days ahead, I will continue to strive for legislation that strikes a fair and reasonable balance between the right to bear arms and making ultra-powerful weapons readily available to citizens intent on harming others. I will also fight for a more comprehensive solution that includes efforts to better identify and treat the mentally ill.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if you have any questions or comments. To receive additional information about issues that are facing Congress, Maryland, and the Nation that may affect you and your community, please visit my Web site at www.dutch.house.gov and sign up for my periodic e-mail newsletter.

Sincerely,

C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger
    Member of Congress

I got that same email and when he said that citizens outgun the police....I said this guy is a real A$$. How can we outgun with semi-automatic AR-15 and the police have access to select fire assualt rifles. Also Baltimore city cops use Ranger-T ammunition which is winchester's replacement to the Black talon's. Weren't these pulled off the market because they were so deadly?(sarcasim) If the police are to protect and serve why are they using such deadly ammunition? More BS. I am so tired of this state. VA here I come!

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Does Dutch believe there is a constitutional right to abortion that is absolute? It sure seems he does. He has a 100 point rating from NARAL. 53 million abortions since 1973 and counting......EBR WMD DEATH MACHINES about 52.98 million fewer. Where are your priorities DUTCH?

What a fraud. Remember when he used to be some faux blue dog-esque Democrat? Dutch ranks in the bottom 5 of Maryland politicians when it comes to integrity; that's saying something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom