• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    After many dollars and long waiting times my new tool is complete and ready for x ring murder.

It is an elesio R5 repeater tube gun I have built for XTC highpower and fclass competition. At the moment it is decked out in flclass trim with front and rear bag rider and optics. For xtc the front bag rider gets replaced with a handstop/sling swivel and the rear bag rider gets replaced with a post with weights attached. The scope gets replaced with a centra top mound match rifle apperature rear sight. And I will attach a riles highboy front sight and base.

023-1-1.jpg

Specs:
    Stock: Elesio R5 repeater tube stock. Currently equipped with fclass attachments. Hanguard has an anschutz style slot and is adjustable to turn to change angle of handstop for comfort. I also found it useful to make rifle level in a level front rest. Buttstock is adustable for cheek height, LOP, cant, and buttplate height. Grip is a tubb ar-15 match rifle grip. Its powder coated and I told Gary I wanted white with no specific black effects and this was the result.
    http://www.competitionshootingstuff.com/id10.html

Action: Borden accuracy tube gun repeater action remington 700 clone
    http://www.bordenrifles.com/

Caliber: 6mm BRX (6mmBR improved)
    http://www.6mmbr.com/6BRImproved01.html

Mag capacity: 5rounds

Barrel: Kreiger 1:8 twist finished at 28", medium palma countour, with front sight band turned to .750" Chambered and fitted by Sabrecco Inc

Trigger: CG Extreme Mod 22 2 stage, no safety or bolt stop, second stage set at 10oz
    http://www.x-tremeshooting.com/index.php?page=cgxtrememod22

Optics: Night Force 12x42x56 Benchrest mounted on 20 moa rail and using burris signature zee extra high rings with extra 10" at 100yd inserts for a total of close to 30moa total

Range report and caliber info in following post

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    6Brx is an improved version of the proven performer 6BR norma. The shoulder is blown forward about .010" to give about 3 gns more powder capacity. Brass isn't available and must be fireformed but can be done so that it still shoots suprisingly accurate.

I used the false shoulder method of fireforming which involves necking up to 6.5mm with an expander mandrel. Then partial neck sizing back down to 6mm to leave an enlarged portion of the case neck so headspace is correct and cartridge fits tight in chamber. The upside is incredible accuracy for a fireforming load that can be used in a match even at 600yds which is important to save useful barrel life. The downside is it overworks the brass. However 15-20 reloads hasn't been an issue from what I've read and that is without annealing. I will be annealing so im expecting 20-30 reloads which is important because 6br brass is a wallet emptying item.

Hers a pic, its hard to see the false shoulder. Left is standard br case, middle is loaded case with false shoulder, and right is a fully fireformed case.

027-1.jpg

I have fired 70 cases and all formed perfectly with out any case loss.

I used a proven fireforming load so the only testing I did was to try different seating depths. They all were same hole groups so it was a waste of time. But .025" off the lands seemed to perform slightly better with the lowest ES and SD

Load:
    Case: New lot (blue box) lapua cases (rifle chamber is no neck turn specifically for this brass)

Primer: CCI BR4

Powder: Varget 30.5gns

bullet: 107gn SMKs

At 100yds they all went into the same hole. The load that was .025" off the lands had MV of 2707fps, ES 16, and SD 6 I'm expecting to get 2900 to 3000fps with using full loads in a formed case but these loads should be just fine for 600yd prone and fclass. There was zero pressure signs and I believe I have a slow lot of varget and could probably up the charge .5 to 1gn but they are accurate enough and velocity is acceptable plus I want all cases to form uniform.

Thanks for looking and I'll post this weekends match results after I'll see what she'll do!

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks for the comments...this morning I confirmed its the most boring rifle I've ever shot. Went to check my no wind zero since there was no wind today and I originally sighted it in in 10mph+ fired 1 shot clicked left 1moa and fired 3 more and they all went in the same hole. I then packed up and came home. I thought my ARs were accurate but this is stupid. Now to learn to read wind and shoot distance....and I can't blame anything on equipment anymore :( or my eyesight (until In put irons on it)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    :bowdown:

That has left me with no appreciable words, but a strong desire to at least try my hand at one.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    LOL...just costs money, and/or debt and lots and lots of painful waiting time when you get to sit at home and second guess everything.

Haha, I've been second-guessing a lot of things lately, so that's nothing new to me... :o

I've done my best to avoid being bit by the uber-accurate gun bug, but I do have to admit, it sounds like great fun.

Sounds like another thing to add to my bucket list then.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Thanks for the comments...this morning I confirmed its the most boring rifle I've ever shot. Went to check my no wind zero since there was no wind today and I originally sighted it in in 10mph+ fired 1 shot clicked left 1moa and fired 3 more and they all went in the same hole. I then packed up and came home. I thought my ARs were accurate but this is stupid. Now to learn to read wind and shoot distance....and I can't blame anything on equipment anymore :( or my eyesight (until In put irons on it)

Your custom hand loads are probably contributing to the guns accuracy too, I would assume. I'd like to start reloading at some point.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Your custom hand loads are probably contributing to the guns accuracy too, I would assume. I'd like to start reloading at some point.

I would be incline to agree but with lapua brass and varget its hard to scew up. The reason i'm amazed is because I just talked to a few guys and figured 30.5gn of varget was a good fireforming load and they said with good accuracy too. I sized up the cases for FFing dropped poweder, seated and boom one hole. No tweaking or nothing but for seating depth with made no difference on paper. Plus you can't buy any commercial ammo anyway. I'll see how they do at distance. I'll do some real load testing when I get some more fireformed cases.

BTW I loaded these on lee breechlock press with redding dies and bullet runout is .002 max so my debate to get a forester coax is still on the table.

Handloading is time consuming specially for this thing at the moment but i'm glad I started or id be kinda screwed on this one. The only reason I started was back when no ammo was available for like 6 months or more (can't remember). My wife bought a .380 and couldn't shoot it so I felt bad, scrounged up some hard to find gear and compenents at got her shooting.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    well I was gonna give a 600yd range report but due to the threat of rain saturday I went to a closer reduced course xtc match. I did about normal but did some learning on working a bolt in rapid fire. I didn't do to bad but wasn't the smoothest.

I felt like getting the camera out so here she is in HP mode:

004-1.jpg

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    *UPDATE

Finally shot my first mid range fclass match today. I am now a huge fan of this rifle and the 6BRX caliber. I shot a 579 in a 3x600 which is good enough to make master(if I keep it up). Had some confusing winds but not too much velocity. Everytime I looked at the flags they were both in oposite directions. Mirage was slight L to R. I made zero wind corrects these 107 pills eat wind for breakfast. Every attempt to read the wind and correct for it resulted in a 9. Once I left scope alone and aimed CM things got better.

Conclusion: awesome rifle and effective caliber. Can't wait to bet some full power loads and get her out to 1K.

BTW: was shooting all FF loads with next to zero load development (thanks NateG for talking me into this caliber)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom