• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    Is good lookink rifle. Do not worry about wanting more. I have 6 and is nothink wrong with me. Enjoy rifle Comrade! Ummm I mean friend! And buy lots of ammo.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    HEY HEY THIS IS NOT HELPFUL. That said...HMMMMM.

He's right - you know you want one. And you can do a side-by-side comparison of what a US infantryman used versus his Soviet counterpart.

Attachments

• DSC_0126.jpg
      DSC_0126.jpg
      73.6 KB · Views: 307

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    My dad has wanted a Lee Enfield for years. Maybe I can get him to share the burden haha.

EDIT: Boy do I want a 98k. Damn you. My wallet can't handle this sort of abuse.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Shoot it with a bayonet attached, that is how they were sighted in.

From a physics standpoint, I don't see why that would effect sighting. The trajectory of the bullet wouldn't be changed unless the barrel was perturbed and the bayonet shouldn't do that. I've read this everywhere, but haven't seen any quantifiable verification.

Also, just bought my first spam can. The hiss of opening it was pretty exciting (any one remember The Mummy???). So now I need to prep for shooting corrosive ammo. I've read ammonia and water are the best way to maintain barrels, but any specific advice?

Attachments

• DSC_0219.jpg
      DSC_0219.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 270

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    10% Ballistol. Clandestine has a thread on cleaning up corrosive. Basically, before you leave the firing line, you should piss down the barrel. Is Russian way.

Here it is. He moved it:http://www.scotts-gunsmithing.com/f-a-q/gunsmith-related-f-a-q/corrosive-ammunition-cleaning-tips/

That hiss when you opened the spam can means it's contaminated with botulism. Don't eat any of it.

The bayonet will definitely affect point of impact, though it probably won't be "on" at 100. It alters the harmonics of the barrel, that is, how the barrel vibrates and whips and flexes. Russians were not issued bayonet scabbards. Bayonets were supposed to be always fixed, though sometimes soldiers would reverse the bayonet: put it on backwards.

Try the heavy ball when you have a chance. Did you read the stuff at Smithsights.com that I linked to before?

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    10% Ballistol. Clandestine has a thread on cleaning up corrosive. Basically, before you leave the firing line, you should piss down the barrel. Is Russian way.

Here it is. He moved it:http://www.scotts-gunsmithing.com/f-a-q/gunsmith-related-f-a-q/corrosive-ammunition-cleaning-tips/

That hiss when you opened the spam can means it's contaminated with botulism. Don't eat any of it.

The bayonet will definitely affect point of impact, though it probably won't be "on" at 100. It alters the harmonics of the barrel, that is, how the barrel vibrates and whips and flexes. Russians were not issued bayonet scabbards. Bayonets were supposed to be always fixed, though sometimes soldiers would reverse the bayonet: put it on backwards.

Try the heavy ball when you have a chance. Did you read the stuff at Smithsights.com that I linked to before?

Hoooo boy too late to tell me that now. I like fried spam a good bit. Little botulism never killed anyone...right?

And yeah, I read the article. I realize the bayonet adds weight at the end potentially altering harmonics. I guess I'm thinking the distances I shoot (50 - 100 yards) won't be affected by bayonet attachment.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... I guess I'm thinking the distances I shoot (50 - 100 yards) won't be affected by bayonet attachment.

Now you must conduct tests and report back. There is much internet talk about shooting Mosins with bayonet fixed, but there is little hard empirical data.

Your assignment is to amass the data, conduct the research, and report in this peer-reviewed forum. With photos.

Assuming the botulism doesn't kill you, which it probably will.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Nice anti aircraft gun. You can make these pretty accurate out to 300 yards without modding the look and originality. Enjoy

Josh Smith

Aug 10, 2010
    Hoooo boy too late to tell me that now. I like fried spam a good bit. Little botulism never killed anyone...right?

And yeah, I read the article. I realize the bayonet adds weight at the end potentially altering harmonics. I guess I'm thinking the distances I shoot (50 - 100 yards) won't be affected by bayonet attachment.

Yes, it will, by 6" to 12".

Josh

Josh Smith

Aug 10, 2010
    Now you must conduct tests and report back. There is much internet talk about shooting Mosins with bayonet fixed, but there is little hard empirical data.

If you look at those Mosins which were not able to affix/weren't supposed to affix bayonets, such as the M38, M91/30 snipers, etc, you'll find that most all of them have posts that are 1mm taller than their standard-issue counterparts.

This is to allow them to shoot to point-of-aim without the weight of the bayonet.

Regards,

Josh

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    As for production, it is a Tula, but I see Izhevsk markings (triangle with arrow) on the bolt and lower receiver. Have been wondering about that...

Most of the rifles that came out of the former Soviet states were re-arsenaled in the years after WWII. To do that, they stripped the rifles down en masse, tossed like parts into barrels, refurbished them, and either round off the old serial number or stamped it out. In short, the majority of these have had the parts force-matched, so you can have a Tula receiver with a numbers-matching Izhevsk bolt, magazine, etc.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Most of the rifles that came out of the former Soviet states were re-arsenaled in the years after WWII. To do that, they stripped the rifles down en masse, tossed like parts into barrels, refurbished them, and either round off the old serial number or stamped it out. In short, the majority of these have had the parts force-matched, so you can have a Tula receiver with a numbers-matching Izhevsk bolt, magazine, etc.

I was hoping someone would address this. I was really curious about the mixed Tula/Izhevsk markings. Appreciate the insight, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom