• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Diamonddoug

Feb 2, 2013
    Jackson County TN
    I guess I have gone a bit further down the rabbit hole on all of this.
    My thinking is:
    1.) If over 1000 citizens stayed till the wee hours of the morning to speak out against this proposed law and a few dozen spoke in favor of it, and it is passed (in whole or watered down), representative government and the rule of law is OVER. We are now being ruled by naked force, overtly.
    2.) Our so called leaders ONLY have power when enforcing the laws enumerated by the constitution. Outside of that, they have no standing or power.

Perhaps this sounds like bravado. We shall see.

As such, I will not care what is registered or not. Nor will I try to connive some sort of work around with photos and newspapers or rigging up a lower with some borrowed parts to play their game.

If you are still willing to play by their rules, if this bill passes, what will it take to make you understand that they can simply change the "rules" tomorrow?
    We all have our personal breaking points. I am done. No more. This is not negotiable or up for discussion. Even a "watered down compromise" is unacceptable. Period. I have let them take too much.

When they come to raid my home and take me away from my family or take my weapons, perhaps that is what it will take to wake people up. Playing their game denotes validity. I am not playing anymore.

Agreed

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    A dated newspaper. Proof of life so to speak. :)

Sent from somewhere in the world.

A dated newspaper will not work because you could get one today and keep it forever. Buying the illegal mags sometime after SB281 were to pass. The easiest way to accomplish this is with a dated receipt/invoice. Keep the paperwork. Get a safety deposit box and keep copies of the paperwork just in case the guns/mags survive a house fire and the original paperwork does not.

Actually I don't know but I thought when I registered my 10 lowers at once that my FFL said they would be registered as receivers only. I can't find the paperwork but hopefully I am wrong and there is no way to tell what was registered.
    I went looking through my paperwork and don't have anything on the stripped receivers I bought, except for a receipt for the transfer payment.

Do we not get MSP "pinks" back with stripped receivers?

Dave M

Jan 27, 2013
    Pa.
    The lower I purchased from FFL is completed already from factory, 6 position stock, LBK, etc. So I assume it will be properly registered with MSP. I to are building as parts become available and don't want to pay a arm an a leg. Excellent thead. I also assume that if grandfathered in there will be no problems shooting at the ranges if this crap is made law. :sad20:

scottymd

Mar 2, 2013
    MoCo Ag zone
    The lower is the serialized/regulated part of all ARs. The stripped lower is already regulated and it will be no different than a complete AR once you buy it and complete the background checks. The rest of the parts are unregulated and you can buy and configure them at your leisure. They will have no way to track it nor will they care.

Zyvo

Mar 2, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Am I wrong that you'd still be able to buy a stripped lower if the law passes? Theoretically, couldn't someone build an AR that didn't qualify as an 'assault weapon'?

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Am I wrong that you'd still be able to buy a stripped lower if the law passes? Theoretically, couldn't someone build an AR that didn't qualify as an 'assault weapon'?

Yes, but it couldn't have any of the banned features when you assemble it. No forward grips, no adjustable stock, flash suppressor, etc.

Zyvo

Mar 2, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Yes, but it couldn't have any of the banned features when you assemble it. No forward grips, no adjustable stock, flash suppressor, etc.

The amended senate version says it can't have 2 of the 5 features, and eliminated a thumbhole stock as a feature. So you could have a thumbhole stock and flash suppressor and be legal. If I read it correctly:

(I) A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT CAN
    ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND HAS ANY TWO OF THE FOLLOWING:
    1. A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION OF THE WEAPON;
    2. A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;
    3. A GRENADE LAUNCHER OR FLARE LAUNCHER;
    4. A FLASH SUPPRESSOR; OR
    5. A FORWARD PISTOL GRIP;

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    The amended senate version says it can't have 2 of the 5 features, and eliminated a thumbhole stock as a feature. So you could have a thumbhole stock and flash suppressor and be legal. If I read it correctly:

(I) A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT CAN
    ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND HAS ANY TWO OF THE FOLLOWING:
    1. A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION OF THE WEAPON;
    2. A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;
    3. A GRENADE LAUNCHER OR FLARE LAUNCHER;
    4. A FLASH SUPPRESSOR; OR
    5. A FORWARD PISTOL GRIP;

So let me get this straight. If the ban goes through, we can still buy AR's that have no flash suppressor and a fixed M4 stock with pistol grip. The pistol grip would only be one feature.

Also, they mentioned flash suppressors but they didn't mention compensators? Also, the Magpul Angles Forgrip could get around the pistol grip since it's not exactly a pistol grip.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    So let me get this straight. If the ban goes through, we can still buy AR's that have no flash suppressor and a fixed M4 stock with pistol grip. The pistol grip would only be one feature.

Also, they mentioned flash suppressors but they didn't mention compensators? Also, the Magpul Angles Forgrip could get around the pistol grip since it's not exactly a pistol grip.

No, you have it wrong. You are looking at the definition of "Copycat Weapon" and not looking at the list of Assault Long Guns that states a:

(xi) Bushmaster semi–auto rifle;

(xv) Colt AR–15, CAR–15, and all imitations except Colt AR–15
    13 Sporter H–BAR rifle;

is an Assault Long Gun and Assault Long Guns will be banned.

So, the only AR that you can purchase should the ban go through is an H-BAR rifle.

You will not be able to just purchase stripped AR lowers just as you cannot purchase a stripped AR lower right now without registering it as a regulated firearm. Right now they are regulated. Should SB281 pass, then they become BANNED. That is the difference in the two lists. The list of "Assault Long Guns" is currently the list of Assault Weapons under the current law and what is currently considered a regulated weapon.

Maybe, just maybe, if SB281 passes you can make the argument that you are going to buy the stripped lower to build an H-BAR rifle, but that one will be a stretch.

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    The lower is the gun. So stripped lowers, while you can buy them is the only way to assure that your wife can have her AR here. The upper parts and such are not serialized so they are free range.
    The mags are a bit tricky. I likely will take a picture of my mags in a way that time stamps them to a certain time. Not sure how right now. The photos would be a get out of jail free card so to speak.
    Anyway don't worry so much. The showing in Annapolis was massive. If the delegates pass this in the face of such overwhelming opposition they are surely not long for office, as they do not represent their constituents at all.
    We are the sovereigns of this shindig, we will work around whatever they decide to do.
    Keep your head held high.

I would love to think you are correct in your reading of our politicians in the General Assembly. I am not nearly so optimistic. Many of them will vote along party lines in any event. Start thinking now about what it will take to get them voted out in 2014 in case this stuff gets passed.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I guess I have gone a bit further down the rabbit hole on all of this.
    My thinking is:
    1.) If over 1000 citizens stayed till the wee hours of the morning to speak out against this proposed law and a few dozen spoke in favor of it, and it is passed (in whole or watered down), representative government and the rule of law is OVER. We are now being ruled by naked force, overtly.
    2.) Our so called leaders ONLY have power when enforcing the laws enumerated by the constitution. Outside of that, they have no standing or power.

Perhaps this sounds like bravado. We shall see.

As such, I will not care what is registered or not. Nor will I try to connive some sort of work around with photos and newspapers or rigging up a lower with some borrowed parts to play their game.

If you are still willing to play by their rules, if this bill passes, what will it take to make you understand that they can simply change the "rules" tomorrow?
    We all have our personal breaking points. I am done. No more. This is not negotiable or up for discussion. Even a "watered down compromise" is unacceptable. Period. I have let them take too much.

When they come to raid my home and take me away from my family or take my weapons, perhaps that is what it will take to wake people up. Playing their game denotes validity. I am not playing anymore.

This is about the only thing that now makes sense with regard to the proposed law and the public opposition to it. You can live safely under tyranny or take your chances living free.

C'est la vie. In the end, everyone has three possible options should this pass.

1. Stay and Obey (The government loves sheep)
    2. Stay and Disobey (You become an outlaw)
    3. Move (Hopefully find freedom elsewhere)

Not exactly great options for most people.

M

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    So HBAR's would still be legal? What exactly is an HBAR and why would it be legal?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Jan 30, 2013
    Elkridge
    This is about the only thing that now makes sense with regard to the proposed law and the public opposition to it. You can live safely under tyranny or take your chances living free.

C'est la vie. In the end, everyone has three possible options should this pass.

1. Stay and Obey (The government loves sheep)
    2. Stay and Disobey (You become an outlaw)
    3. Move (Hopefully find freedom elsewhere)

Not exactly great options for most people.

M

One other point and a more libertarian notion: This is just another example of a law that has a penalty for something you MAY do, but have not done. No one has been hurt or injured, but on the potential that they could be: PENALTY.
    A news reporter can have a 30 rd mag on TV in Washington DC and nothing happens to him. They don't apply the law to him. The reason doesn't matter. But go to DC and stand on the corner outside a police station with an empty 30 rd mag and see what happens to you.
    This stuff has been going on for a long time (rule of law) and we typically just let it go as citizens saying, "That's just how it is..." Again I am just done with it. Not just with guns or 2A issues.
    A well known MD bank president (who has a carry permit) got stopped at BWI with a gun in security. He still has his gun and permit. Think that would happen to you? You would be destroyed!
    Illegal immigrants are known to have broken the law, but our Governor decides to not apply it. Really? If he can pick and choose, so can I.
    Perhaps I will move.
    Perhaps I will stay.
    But I will not play.
    The legislators are not the ones who will come to my door. It will be someone else. They will have to chose if they are "just doing their job" or if their oath matters.
    When they come to take me away, who will any of you decide then to stand up? Or, will you say, he didn't follow the law, knowing in your heart that this law ONLY applies to YOU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom