• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Well, I bought this 5R almost a year ago. I started saving for a nice scope and all of a sudden this C&R thing slaps me in the face and takes control of my wallet.

Instead of waiting to save $1K for a scope (a scope much better than my ability mind you), I decided to buy a base and use a Nikon Buckmaster I had slated for another project.

So, today it made its first trip to the range. First trip for me with .308 as well. I sighted it in with WWB NATO I had and then shot three, 3 shot groups. This is the best of the 3 at 100yds.

Oh, and in case someone missed the numerous 5R pictures and to avoid the fat chics, here is a pic of the rifle. Not as fancy as most but, it works great.

Attachments

• photo(3).jpg
      photo(3).jpg
      31.5 KB · Views: 215
    • DSC_0028web.jpg
      DSC_0028web.jpg
      108.1 KB · Views: 308
    Last edited:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Cool, have you tried it with 168's? I need to review E.Shell's posts regarding bullet weights and accuracy. I know he mentioned that you should use the 175's for longer range shooting (out to 1000+), but I can't remember if the difference between the 168 and 175 affects the close (100-500) range accuracy.

Still a nice grouping.

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    generic FGMM 168gr won't do the long range 'usually' but i know guys who reload w/ 168s and load it a little faster for their rifle and use it on the 1K line w/ no issues.

good shootin, open it up to 5 shot groupings, know your limit shots, etc.... the purpose of practice should be able to duplicate all those shots onto multiple targets in one sitting.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Cool, have you tried it with 168's? I need to review E.Shell's posts regarding bullet weights and accuracy. I know he mentioned that you should use the 175's for longer range shooting (out to 1000+), but I can't remember if the difference between the 168 and 175 affects the close (100-500) range accuracy.

Still a nice grouping.
    Thanks Qbeam. This was my first time out with it. At the time the shop I bought the 175's from was low on any decent .308. I plan, time permitting, to get out with some different loads.

The wisdom on this board is very valuable. I have and will continue to learn from those like E.Shell

Wow - what distance? I really like Black Hills.

Only 100yds. As I get more comfortable and work on technique I will go longer. Thanks.

generic FGMM 168gr won't do the long range 'usually' but i know guys who reload w/ 168s and load it a little faster for their rifle and use it on the 1K line w/ no issues.

good shootin, open it up to 5 shot groupings, know your limit shots, etc.... the purpose of practice should be able to duplicate all those shots onto multiple targets in one sitting.

Thanks K Train. I am going to get out more. very enjoyable round to shoot. Now to find more ammo

FYI....the C and R license discount at midway saved me around $300 on the scope for my R5.....

Thanks Drmsparks. I am on file with Midway. I can't seem to stop using extra money for the C&R guns though!

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    Nice 5R. A friend of mine has one. Shoots very well up to 1000 yards.

Grafs.com has a smaller selection of optics, but the dealer discounts are generally steeper than Midway's. I'd suggest you check them out, too.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Thanks everyone.

Krucam, I followed your post. It is fun to shoot thats for sure. I want to go back out right now.

Nice 5R. A friend of mine has one. Shoots very well up to 1000 yards.

Grafs.com has a smaller selection of optics, but the dealer discounts are generally steeper than Midway's. I'd suggest you check them out, too.

Thanks for the site MikeH. I will check it out.

Nice group. Nice rifle. What is the power and reticle of your scope?

This is the 4.5 x 14 NikoPlex reticle. It was going to be for a hunting rifle but, found a home on this rifle for a while.

The mount is DNZ

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Nice rifle and nice shooting. The crazy thing is I'll bet that bad boy will shoot mil surp ammo almost as well. My PSS loves the old Port surplus from the 70's. I actually used some in competition at Ft. Meade and all the handloaders laughed at me. They were shocked to see the groups I shot @600 yards. At 100 yards that nasty old ammo does nice little cloverleafs all day long.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Here's a pic from the 600 yard line @ Meade.
    101-0182_IMG.jpg

The second image is a 3 shot group @ 100 yards with Port 147 grain surplus ammo from the 1970's.
    CIMG0623.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom