• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    I wanted to thank some of the other members here for providing some of the information and the first part of my letter. Feel free to copy, paste, and make edits.

Here's my letter I just sent to my MD representatives

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Sir or Madam:

Do you know of any statistics that show the so called "assault weapon" to be a leading factor behind Maryland's incidences of gun violence?
    No because that is not the type weapon used in most crimes involving guns in Maryland.

The FBI's own crime statistics for 2011 only show TWO deaths/murders committed by a rifle.
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-20

It is clear that our Governor is completely out of touch with the facts related to gun violence as he advances his effort to gain national attention for himself with a extreme measures approach towards gun control.

Marylanders want MEANINGFUL measures to reduce gun related violence. The Governor's misguied attempt to stand on top of the backs of honest, responsible gun owners in an effort to get noticed in the National spotlight is disgraceful.

Added restriction, regulations and outright bans of weapons which are not commonly used in Maryland crimes, aimed at responsible citizen gun owners will do nothing to curb an evil criminal from doing an evil act.

We don't need more gun control in maryland. We need criminal control. Our current laws are stricter that the surrounding states as they are written.

The Governor was recently quoted by the Washington Post-
    "You look at some of these guns, and it’s just hard to conclude that these guns should be in the hands of anyone who isn’t a soldier on a battlefield or a law enforcement officer sent into a tactical situation,”

That comment demonstrates fear, ignorance and a total lack of interest in really getting to the root of gun related crime.

Let's not make laws based on fear, ignorance and misinformation.

Recent proposals to add a tax on ammunition sales to fund MD Mental Health programs are idiotic and short-sighted. Not only would this face an immediate court challenge and injunction based on a violation of our 2nd Amendment rights, it would force those who participate in this sport to stop practicing. Do you REALLY want the legal gun owners of Maryland to stop practicing the safe use of firearms? How does that even make sense in promoting safety? There is no reasonable nexus between mental health and gun laws. The fact that our current mental health policies are in shambles tell the true story or our priorities in this state. To thrust the burden of funding and fixing MD mental health agencies on ONLY the legal gun owners of Maryland violates my Constitutional Rights under the "Equal Protection" clause. Please expect to spend millions of dollars from the class action lawsuits and injunctions the state of Maryland will endure if any such bill is passed.

Maryland already has a 20 magazine limit on its books. That is sufficient to practice effectively at my local gun range. A 10 magazine limit requires the purchase of multiple magazines just to get a good practice session. In addition, it makes no sense to impose any further limits because there is no evidence in the state of Maryland that hi-capacity magazines are the cause of rifle deaths. In fact, the FBI's own statistics show only 2 deaths due to rifles in 2011. There were 17 deaths by use of hands, feet and fist. As a responsible gun owner I make an extra effort to practice my sport. Further magazine restrictions would do nothing to stop crime and only prevent the legal gun owners of MD from practicing their sport and excercising their 2nd Amendment Rights. Once again, the statistics show there is no rational nexus between the current crimes in MD and hi-capacity magazines.

In addition, there is also no rational basis for an "assault weapons ban" in the state of MD because so few deaths are attributed to a "rifle." According to the FBI statistics, a MD ban "MIGHT" have prevented two deaths in MD. TWO. If MD is serious about crime, then they should focus more efforts on preventing crime and enforcing the current laws. As an attorney, I can assure you that criminals do not follow the law; they break them. A ban would not reduce crime in the state of MD. Those are the plain and simple facts.

Thank you for considering my thoughts on this very serious issue.

Sincerely yours,

Dizzy, Esq.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Great Job!

I hope you sent the letter to all of the members of the MD legislature, and will send it to radio, TV, and newspapers.

Thanks for posting!

Regards
    Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom