• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    All I could say would simply reinforce what's been said. Congrats! :thumbsup:

The AR platform is addictive. Once you get the first one...it won't end there...
    :nono:

Feb 28, 2013
    All I could say would simply reinforce what's been said. Congrats! :thumbsup:

The AR platform is addictive. Once you get the first one...it won't end there...
    :nono:

Yeah. You buy your first one, and then you need one more to "customize" while you leave one stock.

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    Windham is the old Bushmaster folks in Maine. Once they sold, it moved to NY. After the old man's non-compete was up, he hired back the old crew, quietly bought back the tooling and equipment and was back in business. A fine rifle and a fine company.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    They even use some neat custom jigs to assemble the Uppers to prevent barrel indexing problems. The Bushmasters had BAD sight cant issues because they didnt do it right.

The Windhams are good to go.

Start at the 4:00 mark

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    Welcome to the club

5cbb67768da4e4bb848adeaab8612f35.jpg

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Congrats and great choice!!
    When you inevitably go to make some mods remember to K.I.S.S. and you will be happy with it for years to come!

Thank you for the welcome and advice everyone. Much appreciated. Sounds like I made a good choice. I'm sure I'll be perusing the threads on here to glom some information as I go forward. I know very little about these rifles so I have much to learn. My son-in-law is an ex-Marine so he will be helping me get started. Already have some ammo coming to the house. Can't wait to hit the range!!

Question for the group....IYO first mod to make for accuracy? First mod to make for cosmetics(I like the stealth gray look)? First mod to make for reliability? Okay GOOOOOOOO. Lol. Thanks guys.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    First mods for reliability are those springs Clandestine suggests; the gold extractor and flat recoil spring.

For acuracy, buy a bunch of differnt ammo and figure out what that particular barrel likes. Like high end musical instruments, no 2 barrels are 100% identical. No one can fully predict what ammo will shoot best out of your gun.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    Congrats on a solid purchase.

Keep it lubed well, buy a Colt Gold Extractor Spring, buy GOOD magazines, and feed it good ammo.

question, is this spring recommended for performance, ie. reliably extracting the spent brass, or a reliability as it lasts significantly longer than a standard extractor spring?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    question, is this spring recommended for performance, ie. reliably extracting the spent brass, or a reliability as it lasts significantly longer than a standard extractor spring?

Both.

The Gold Spring will usually last longer than other XP springs and not damage the rim of the brass with excessive tension.

I have about 50 gold colt springs in my parts bin. Nothing else anymore and no more o rings. The Colt spring does not need it.

Standard extractor and action springs wear out faster than most realize.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thank you for the welcome and advice everyone. Much appreciated. Sounds like I made a good choice. I'm sure I'll be perusing the threads on here to glom some information as I go forward. I know very little about these rifles so I have much to learn. My son-in-law is an ex-Marine so he will be helping me get started. Already have some ammo coming to the house. Can't wait to hit the range!!

Question for the group....IYO first mod to make for accuracy? First mod to make for cosmetics(I like the stealth gray look)? First mod to make for reliability? Okay GOOOOOOOO. Lol. Thanks guys.
    Accuracy gains can be found by doing what clandestine said. In addition you can see good gains in accuracy by free floating the barrel. All of my AR's have free floated barrels, with the exception of the one I use for HD stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tse3gbs

Latest threads

Top Bottom