• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NOBE shooter

Aug 12, 2013
    North Beach, MD
    Does anyone know about this guy Henry?

I've been to the Myrtle Grove range several times this year. It is a great place to shoot, and you meet a lot of cool people. I've certainly been there on a Saturday or Sunday when it is busy. Usually it doesn't take all that long to get on the range as people are cycling out all the time.

I went yesterday, Sunday, and for the first time (when I've been there) there was a horrible line and long wait. The reason was a gentleman there who claimed to be the range marshal. He was a big guy with 1980s glasses (like the 1s President Bush used to wear), white shirt, and a panama hat. Looked a little like a big Dan Akrod. The delay was almost entirely attributable to him.

He took it upon himself to call the all clears, “cold range.” He even had a whistle. As the line got longer, he started doing “cold ranges” every 15 minutes. And then checking who was leaving, and assigned people to a table when someone would leave. Not a particularly hard job, logic would say when someone leaves the next in line gets that table. He was forcing people to return the target frames to the table when they left, so, if you wanted to avoid a confrontation, you had to stay until the next “cold.” Because of this, no one was leaving until he called clear. This significantly slowed things down, as people weren’t leaving or packing up when the range was hot. Meaning new people weren’t coming on until the range was cold. SO people were spending a lot of time unpacking and loading magazines when the range was hot (note, I know you can’t have loaded guns when the range is cold), and not getting all their shooting in before this guy blew his whistle again. He significantly slowed the transition at the tables. As it was in my case, I didn’t get all my shooting in, because I didn’t want to stay for another 15 minute block.

More troubling was that he was on a table. He had a .22 that in over an hour (which is beyond the limit to be on a lane when people are waiting) I never saw him load. This is because he would take one or two shots, then go around talking to people, the whole time taking up a lane. At one point, he started complaining that the guy’s brass to the left of him was flying over towards his table. SO, when that guy left, he further tried to prevent people with simi-autos from taking that lane.

Someone finally confronted him. At first, he said he was “a minister.” Then he said he was Henry and he was the range marshal and was there under the authority of DNR. We asked him to produce some I.D. that said that and he said he didn’t have any, but that he was under their authority. Someone questioned if he was a range marshal, why was he shooting on a lane. He said he was a volunteer so using the lane was his compensation. Course, it is free to all as long as you have a permit. But he wasn’t really using the lane (which made things worse on a busy day). And of course he was regulating table #2 because he didn’t like brass coming in his lane on #3.

Anybody know the deal with this guy? Is he authorized by DNR? If so, how can I get authorized, because I could do a much better job. And if not, how can we prevent this kind of vigilantly rang marshaling in the future?

I talked to some guys in the parking lot, and they were familiar with him (Henry the minister) and that he’s kind of known as a menace.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Hey..booboo. (yogi voice).

He has no authority.. not even a NRA RSO... The DNR guy, Dan, doesn't like him either.

DNR didn't have resource to have a RSO. Each individual is responsible to watch.

Next time you go.. take a woman with you.. he'll be occupied drooling over her. Lmao

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Hey..booboo. (yogi voice).

He has no authority.. not even a NRA RSO... The DNR guy, Dan, doesn't like him either.

DNR didn't have resource to have a RSO. Each individual is responsible to watch.

Next time you go.. take a woman with you.. he'll be occupied drooling over her. Lmao

Lx1x,

Crazyal will wear a blond wig and shorty shorts if we chip in and get him 22LR ammo. that should keep Henry busy for a while.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Btw.... Crazyal misses you. Call him and give him a man hug.

I think he named his new shotgun after you .

Back to Henry......

Btw, Henry left his targets and someone... Maybe more than one or two blasted the crap out of it. They were all screaming.. Git sum!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Btw.... Crazyal misses you. Call him and give him a man hug.

I think he named his new shotgun after you .

Back to Henry......

Btw, Henry left his targets and someone... Maybe more than one or two blasted the crap out of it. They were all screaming.. Git sum!

Lol.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    You missed out on yesterdays 12g blastfest.......

Lx1x is now a hoity-toity Sanners member and has no time for the long lines and riff-raff associated with Myrtle Grove. ;)

Come join the dark side at Sanners, we have ammo.:deal:

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Buh-bye Henry.:sad53:

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Somebody needs to give him a reason to use his rape whistle. Aintree this range dont go nowhere Aintree.When he hogs a lane over an hour. I rarely get by there since I "joined " my private range either.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Lx1x is now a hoity-toity Sanners member and has no time for the long lines and riff-raff associated with Myrtle Grove. ;)

Come join the dark side at Sanners, we have ammo.:deal:

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Buh-bye Henry.:sad53:

Lol.. that.. but mostly shooting matches.. got tired of bullseye shooting.

Where were you last idpa match? Trying to get Inigoes to shoot idpa also.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The sad thing is that Henry is a member of St Charles SC. I have never seen him at MG with a firearm that would not be allowed in their indoor range. Maybe the indoor range isn't long enough for him? How far does he normally shoot?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    The sad thing is that Henry is a member of St Charles SC. I have never seen him at MG with a firearm that would not be allowed in their indoor range. Maybe the indoor range isn't long enough for him? How far does he normally shoot?

25 to 50 yards on average day.. only seen him shoot 100 couple times.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Lol.. that.. but mostly shooting matches.. got tired of bullseye shooting.

Where were you last idpa match? Trying to get Inigoes to shoot idpa also.

No. I had family in, but I'll catch you next time ... Henry said I was allowed to shoot then, if I clean his rape whistle.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You should have stuck it up his arse. Lol

Space is limited due to his head already occupying most of the available space.

Need to have a semi-auto day, so Yogi gets a constant showering of hot brass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom