• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    I always find the arguments about loading mags during a cold range interesting. At a private range standing at a table loading mags anytime isn't an issue. Go to MG and touch a mag while the range is cold and people howl like a wolf. This doesn't tend to be an issue for me because I pre-load my mags for MG and when they are out I am usually done. If not I load when the range is hot to keep people from getting angry. I will say this, people seem to want to fiddle with their weapons when the range is cold at MG. Anyone care to share their insights or opinions on this?

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    I always find the arguments about loading mags during a cold range interesting. At a private range standing at a table loading mags anytime isn't an issue. Go to MG and touch a mag while the range is cold and people howl like a wolf. This doesn't tend to be an issue for me because I pre-load my mags for MG and when they are out I am usually done. If not I load when the range is hot to keep people from getting angry. I will say this, people seem to want to fiddle with their weapons when the range is cold at MG. Anyone care to share their insights or opinions on this?

Some of the people here can't seem to distinguish the difference between a removeable and non-removeable magazine. They equate both to being the same as handling a firearm. :sad20:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    When you get muzzle swept by an AK 47 repeatedly and the guy holding the weapon argues that it itsnt loaded. I would dare him to point the same weapon to his head and pull the trigger to make his point valid.

A person allowed his son to load an AKM with a 30 round mag two weeks ago, while he was standing in front of the muzzle, safety off and finger on the bang switch. I called for an immediate ceasefire, told him how dangerous that was and instead of being grateful, he coughed up an attitude. Shouting that the weapon wasnt loaded. Many people saw the weapon get loaded, but he was too busy being an azzhole to notice.

But those self- declared high speed operators seem to think that waiting for five minutes for everyone to come back behind the firing line is too much of an inconvenience.

Do what you want, as long as it only affects you. Put anyone else at risk, then it becomes an issue.

Find a safe range that will allow you to finger fork a weapon on a cold range and ill glady give you a hundred bucks for your effort.

Have you heard, im not loading a mag, its a revolver. ( while people are setting up targets). Duh.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    When you get muzzle swept by an AK 47 repeatedly and the guy holding the weapon argues that it itsnt loaded. I would dare him to point the same weapon to his head and pull the trigger to make his point valid.

A person allowed his son to load an AKM with a 30 round mag two weeks ago, while he was standing in front of the muzzle, safety off and finger on the bang switch. I called for an immediate ceasefire, told him how dangerous that was and instead of being grateful, he coughed up an attitude. Shouting that the weapon wasnt loaded. Many people saw the weapon get loaded, but he was too busy being an azzhole to notice.

But those self- declared high speed operators seem to think that waiting for five minutes for everyone to come back behind the firing line is too much of an inconvenience.

Do what you want, as long as it only affects you. Put anyone else at risk, then it becomes an issue.

Find a safe range that will allow you to finger fork a weapon on a cold range and ill glady give you a hundred bucks for your effort.

Have you heard, im not loading a mag, its a revolver. ( while people are setting up targets). Duh.

And what do any of your examples have to do with placing ammunition in a removable magazine?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My .02 cents on this matter.

For a removable magazine, I just ask people to handle/load it away from the bench and keep it away from the firearm, especially during a cold range when people are downrange.

Ideally nothing other than targets would be handled during a cold.

I fully see both sides of the argument, stepping away from the bench to load/unload a detachable magazine seems to be the middle ground.

JMO.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    And what do any of your examples have to do with placing ammunition in a removable magazine?

The kid that loaded the AK.. Was intructed that it is okay to load a removeable box magazine... So he did, into an AK pointed at his fathers's gut.

It may be that the kid misunderstood the instructions. Regardless of the reason, it s a dangerous situation.

That good enough for you? Next time youre at MG... And you are setting up targets downrange...I hope you realize that someone that you consider an a- hat. Enforcing safety rules, may have just saved your life.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The people volunteering to RSO have a basic goal. To ensure no one leaves with any new holes in them, to ensure as many people get bench time as possible, and to ensure the safety of everyone at the range.

No one wants or needs an incident. MG is one of our very few public ranges.

So let's do what we can to keep it open.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Some of the people here can't seem to distinguish the difference between a removeable and non-removeable magazine. They equate both to being the same as handling a firearm. :sad20:

Do us a big favor the next time you are at MG on weekends. Stand behind the shooters and observe. see for yourself. See it from the eyes of an RSO.

Because from a tactical perspective... You really do lack situational awareness. Chances are,
    Youve just been muzzle swept and dont really know it.

brandofire

Jul 4, 2013
    SOMD
    Do us a big favor the next time you are at MG on weekends. Stand behind the shooters and observe. see for yourself. See it from the eyes of an RSO.

Because from a tactical perspective... You really do lack situational awareness. Chances are,

I have to agree with SCARCQB on this one. It's a whole other world behind the bench. I find myself there a lot when I take my son to the range :D

1874sharpsshooter

Feb 1, 2009
    cape coral, florida
    I am a paid RSO at a public range in md. It is my full time job, I see these things 40 or more hours a week. Those of you who complain about RSO's and their ways of enforcing safety need to experience the job. I challenge you to shadow an RSO at a pulic range on a busy weekend, not shooting, leave you gun at home. Then come back to this forum and tell us what you think.
    Trust me, you will learn a lot.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I am a paid RSO at a public range in md. It is my full time job, I see these things 40 or more hours a week. Those of you who complain about RSO's and their ways of enforcing safety need to experience the job. I challenge you to shadow an RSO at a pulic range on a busy weekend, not shooting, leave you gun at home. Then come back to this forum and tell us what you think.
    Trust me, you will learn a lot.

:party29:

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    My .02 cents on this matter.

For a removable magazine, I just ask people to handle/load it away from the bench and keep it away from the firearm, especially during a cold range when people are downrange.

Ideally nothing other than targets would be handled during a cold.

I fully see both sides of the argument, stepping away from the bench to load/unload a detachable magazine seems to be the middle ground.

JMO.

And there is the crux of the whole debate, middle ground. Every time the removable magazine issue comes up, there is a flurry of "safety" and knee jerk reactionary comment. No one is helping promote "safety" to the community by providing misleading information.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.

What has convinced that I do not see that perspective? Because I disagree with your opinion?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    What has convinced that I do not see that perspective? Because I disagree with your opinion?

Because you insist on petty things . Arguing your point just for the sake of arguing. You are too busy being an asshat to have situational awareness or consideration for others. And if you do not find being muzzle swept as dangerous or you do nothing when you see an unsafe act, then there is really nothing further to discuss.

I agree that loading mags is a benign act. But loading mags beside a gun on a cold range is a cause for concern. What if you make an error or how about when others make an error, people that you cant control.

Are you aware that there are many people that go there.. That are actual combat veterans and they do not handle guns or ammo on a cold range.they have no issues with that... In fact, that practice is universally accepted.

While on the firing line... We are only as safe as the most unsafe person on that range. Since we do not screen for training or competency, we really can not trust others. So the rules apply to everyone.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    many years ago, i was invited to MG by some guys at work. i went and in the 15 minutes i was there i saw so much unsafe stuff that i left. i value my life a bit more than being around people like that.

we have always shot at the farm and we have had some pretty big shoots there but there is always"that guy" that cant seem to quit fvcking with his guns while the range is cold or keeps waving his gun around putting everyone at risk. now i invite very very few people there. some people just dont get it. i dont know how yall put up with that.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Rumor Has it that Henry [The Rape whistle] Has been band from M.G. for hogging a lane and being an ass to the NRP officer that was called for the hogging the lane. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom