• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    IMO, the easiest way to get a yearly pass to MG is to go to the MD DNR's website. You can pay online with a credit card and print out the pass right then. Takes 5 minutes, tops.

But they charge you an extra couple bucks "convenience fee" to buy it online. . . then you have to print it with your paper and ink. I would think it would a couple bucks cheaper :sad20:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I thought the St Charles range was closing down. Or was that just the outdoor range there? I had once looked to join, but saw something about problems and the range closing, and didnt want to spend the money. Are things stable there? I may be interested in looking to join once more...

Our indoor range is doing fine. It gets closed from time to time for maintenance. If you want a tour just let me know.

dza

Apr 11, 2012
    I've lurked these forums for a while, but I have a couple questions about MG (I've never been) if you don't mind me piggy-backing this thread.

If I'm understanding this right, MG has stands for me to put up paper targets. Are there any unwritten rules on how I can tack up these targets? I read clips, but is a staple gun acceptable? Or is that frowned upon? If I get smaller targets, will I also need some cardboard to center the target on the frame?

I get spring will be fairly busy, especially on the weekends. How busy is MG on Friday around noon, or early afternoon? Will there likely be a wait this Friday at that time?

And, I understand that only one shooter can be in a single "station/spot". Is it acceptable to have a spectator at the same spot? More specifically, if someone is with me and we are trading off, firing the same firearm (taking turns, if you will), is that okay?

Just wanted to be sure on a few things so I don't make a fool of myself.

Thanks,
    D

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I've lurked these forums for a while, but I have a couple questions about MG (I've never been) if you don't mind me piggy-backing this thread.

If I'm understanding this right, MG has stands for me to put up paper targets. Are there any unwritten rules on how I can tack up these targets? I read clips, but is a staple gun acceptable? Or is that frowned upon? If I get smaller targets, will I also need some cardboard to center the target on the frame?

I get spring will be fairly busy, especially on the weekends. How busy is MG on Friday around noon, or early afternoon? Will there likely be a wait this Friday at that time?

And, I understand that only one shooter can be in a single "station/spot". Is it acceptable to have a spectator at the same spot? More specifically, if someone is with me and we are trading off, firing the same firearm (taking turns, if you will), is that okay?

Just wanted to be sure on a few things so I don't make a fool of myself.

Thanks,
    D

Staples are ok. Recommend bringing cardboard just in case the mesh is shot up on the stand. Bring duct tape also for just in case.

You can also take turns on shooting from a table. No go if two are shooting at the same time on one table.

Fridays are hit and miss. Just depending on the weather or if its a long weekend.

dza

Apr 11, 2012
    Staples are ok. Recommend bringing cardboard just in case the mesh is shot up on the stand. Bring duct tape also for just in case.

You can also take turns on shooting from a table. No go if two are shooting at the same time on one table.

Fridays are hit and miss. Just depending on the weather or if its a long weekend.

Ok, I can picture it a bit more now. Thanks for the reply.

Huckleberry43

Apr 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Do you both have to pay to get a pass for the range for the day if you have a spectator and are switching using the same lane?

I'm planning on going tomorrow. I want to hit as many of the ranges as I can this year. I've also vowed to enter in some competitive shooting as a New Year's Resolution. I'm enjoying the year so far!!!

Thanks for all the help. These forums are GREAT!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Do you both have to pay to get a pass for the range for the day if you have a spectator and are switching using the same lane?

I'm planning on going tomorrow. I want to hit as many of the ranges as I can this year. I've also vowed to enter in some competitive shooting as a New Year's Resolution. I'm enjoying the year so far!!!

Thanks for all the help. These forums are GREAT!

yes both need a pass.

being observer is a hit or miss with the nrps. better have a pass or get fined. if not shooting.. stay away from the lanes and stand by the ramp or up the hill.

Huckleberry43

Apr 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    It was a WONDERFUL day. There were a couple of yahoos playing with their guns while the range was cold (and loaded or not I don't think that's safe). Someone QUICKLY let them know its safer not to play with them with a cold range, let them know politely and they were much better. Today was a wonderful day. Everyone there seemed to have an AR, or an AK variant. Mostly ARs though. I guess we're all buying them before they get banned again under a new "Biden Crime (increase) Act" ... ? Anyway, brought 3 guns, took my brother in law, and loved every minute of my time there. I will be going back for sure. It was slower than I thought today. No line, and two open tables. It seemed just as someone was leaving someone would come fill their spot, but again there was no wait. Just perfect timings. Myrtle Grove is absolutely beautiful, I can say that. I want to go fishing there... I know this is a shooting forums, but anyone know how the fishing is over there?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It was a WONDERFUL day. There were a couple of yahoos playing with their guns while the range was cold (and loaded or not I don't think that's safe). Someone QUICKLY let them know its safer not to play with them with a cold range, let them know politely and they were much better. Today was a wonderful day. Everyone there seemed to have an AR, or an AK variant. Mostly ARs though. I guess we're all buying them before they get banned again under a new "Biden Crime (increase) Act" ... ? Anyway, brought 3 guns, took my brother in law, and loved every minute of my time there. I will be going back for sure. It was slower than I thought today. No line, and two open tables. It seemed just as someone was leaving someone would come fill their spot, but again there was no wait. Just perfect timings. Myrtle Grove is absolutely beautiful, I can say that. I want to go fishing there... I know this is a shooting forums, but anyone know how the fishing is over there?

i know they stock it w/ trout... havent been fish there but i hear people do catch some good ones. oh and you may find some snakehead too.. lol

nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    Trout stocking schedule is available at the DNR website. They have already put them in at least once this spring. If you hit it a few days after the stock date it can be like fishing in a barrel. I normally fish the along the left as you pull in, near the drain and further back. This is good alternative if there is a line at the range. GL

dza

Apr 11, 2012
    I had a good time out there. Glad that I kept the receipt on the staple gun. I just used tape. I also had decent timing. One group left just as I got there so I had no wait.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    I notice that MG range is closed during deer firearms season. How exactly is this defined? The DNR webiste lists several seasons both for does and bucks and for muzzleloaders and regular firearms. I want to make sure I have the correct dates. Can anyone confirm the "official" closing dates for the range this fall/winter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom