• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Just got an e-mail at work,

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is my pleasure to announce the 6th Annual Charity Marksmanship Competition at NAS Patuxent River to benefit the Marines Toys-for-Tots Campaign, sponsored by the Dept. of Public Safety range personnel.

What: A $15 donation or equivalent in unwrapped toys gets you 12 shots to break seven 4" targets with an M9 service pistol. You are timed until you break all seven targets or run out of ammunition. Your individual score is the number of targets broken with time used as a tiebreaker. Team score/time is the sum of the top five individual team member's scores and associated times. Trophies and bragging rights go to the winning individual and team entries. DO NOT bring your own weapon or ammunition, we will supply everything but your donation.

When: 2-days - Thu & Fri, 13&14 December 2012 from 0600 through 1500.

Where: NAS Patuxent River, Range building. (Just inside Gate #2)

Who: Any willing participants with access to NAS Patuxent River. (Includes any CAC carrying military and civilians from other sites.) Teams of five or more are encouraged, but individuals may compete on their own as well.

Why: Ultimately to generate cash and toys to donate to the annual Toys-for-Tots toy drive. Side benefits include challenging yourself, maybe competing as a team, and certainly poking some good-natured fun at co-workers and other teams that can't shoot straight. Plus, someone has to unseat the AIR-4.3.2 "Geeks with Guns" as the four-time winner of the team competition.

Anyone want to get a team together?

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Just got an e-mail at work,

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is my pleasure to announce the 6th Annual Charity Marksmanship Competition at NAS Patuxent River to benefit the Marines Toys-for-Tots Campaign, sponsored by the Dept. of Public Safety range personnel.

What: A $15 donation or equivalent in unwrapped toys gets you 12 shots to break seven 4" targets with an M9 service pistol. You are timed until you break all seven targets or run out of ammunition. Your individual score is the number of targets broken with time used as a tiebreaker. Team score/time is the sum of the top five individual team member's scores and associated times. Trophies and bragging rights go to the winning individual and team entries. DO NOT bring your own weapon or ammunition, we will supply everything but your donation.

When: 2-days - Thu & Fri, 13&14 December 2012 from 0600 through 1500.

Where: NAS Patuxent River, Range building. (Just inside Gate #2)

Who: Any willing participants with access to NAS Patuxent River. (Includes any CAC carrying military and civilians from other sites.) Teams of five or more are encouraged, but individuals may compete on their own as well.

Why: Ultimately to generate cash and toys to donate to the annual Toys-for-Tots toy drive. Side benefits include challenging yourself, maybe competing as a team, and certainly poking some good-natured fun at co-workers and other teams that can't shoot straight. Plus, someone has to unseat the AIR-4.3.2 "Geeks with Guns" as the four-time winner of the team competition.

Anyone want to get a team together?
    When did you receive the email and what date is actually on it? There is some question as to if the base CO has authorized this event or not. Just rumors so far.

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Final approval has not been given as of Thursday the 8th. Haven't heard any updates since. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• test-pattern.jpg
      test-pattern.jpg
      96.8 KB · Views: 381

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    i heard/read today that the CO did NOT approve this event and therefore it is canceled.

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    The Grinch really did steal Christmas.

Brought to you by the sponsor of long lines at the gates and other ever-so-popular decisions.

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Does anyone know exactly WHY the skipper canx the shoot?
    Very frustrating that our own Steny got the gubmint to spend $16.M on that lovely indoor range, and since the Navy regionalized in 2003, only the base security folks and LEOs are allowed inside.
    All those tax dollars.....! :sad20:

LANDFORGOTTEN

Sep 28, 2012
    WA state
    When I first saw new post in this topic I got excited. Oops!!! I was getting ready to join in on the fun. I had not shot an M9 since my time as Navy Security(2006), that seems so long ago now.

I imagine liability is the issue, I can not imagine what it is like for civilian ranges, but OMG if something goes wrong on base.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Official Notice of Cancellation

All --

My understanding (see below and attached) is that the base CO really had no choice in this matter. Too bad.:sad20:

We at Sanner's Lake considered hosting the event once that the NAS rejected the request, but a number of reasons (short lead-time, traffic issues, liability, etc.) forced us to reluctantly decline for this year. Also too bad. :sad20:
    We may be able to host such an event next year, given the necessary lead-time to properly plan for our hosting of the event.

Note that Sanner's Lake is already sponsoring a couple of other Toys-for-Tots fundraisers:
    Southern Maryland Practical Shooters USPSA Toys for Tots Match
    9 December 2012
    Contact: Chris Viverette at somd.practical.shooters@gmail.com for more information.

IDPA Toys for Tots Match on Dec. 16.
    Bring a new toy, shoot for free.
    Contact: James Jackson <jamesdjackson@comcast.net> for information.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:52
    To:
    Subject: CANCELLED - 6th Annual Charity Marksmanship Competition at NAS Patuxent River to benefit the Marines Toys-for-Tots Campaign

It is with deepest regrets that we must announce the cancellation of this year's Charity Shoot in Support of the Marine Corps Toy-for-Tots Campaign. We have been denied permission to use the base pistol range, see the attached.

Evidently we have never received official permission to hold this event. In fact, it was shortly before last year's event that we first became aware of the need for such permission. A request was made but no response was received prior to the event so we proceeded with the event.

This year we requested permission earlier but announced the event assuming we would get the permission. Unfortunately that was a bad assumption. All efforts to secure permission and/or find an alternate venue for this year's event have been unsuccessful.

We wish to thank all of the people that volunteered to support and participate in this year's event.

With apologies,
    The Charity Shoot Team

Attachments

• Pistol Shoot Fundraiser Letter.pdf
      112.2 KB · Views: 119

Citizen

Red Man in a Blue State
    Nov 9, 2012
    Calvert Collective, PRM
    Very frustrating that our own Steny got the gubmint to spend $16.M on that lovely indoor range, ....., only the base security folks and LEOs are allowed inside.
    All those tax dollars.....! :sad20:

That's the plan Salty. Only Government is allowed to use taxpayer money, not the prols. Especially where firearms are concerned.

Get with the assimilation, son. Or maybe, you can write to 'our own Steny' about it. :rolleyes:

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Only the military and police should be allowed to have tax dollars.....Oh wait...!

I might actually ask *someone* why us DoD'rs are denied access. Will let y'all know if I do, and if I get any kind of answer. *skeptical*

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    The letter from the CO is pathetic. "Had no choice" hell. If he wants to worry about "readiness" he'd do well to man the gates appropriately so people don't have to wait in long lines to get in. The pass offices could use some work too.

Sorry lads, but that's an officer in need of a spine transplant in my opinion.

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    The whimp doesn't support Toys for Tots, sponsored by the Marines for the past umpteen years at PAX. What a spineless looser. :mad54: I hope the local community chimes in about how "pleasing" this is.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Pathetic. Playing the "detracting from readiness" ********.

I will say, the schedule for the range is always booked way in advance. I used to work with the range folks to schedule our squadron for training and I know that the range was booked months in advance.

That being said, the rangemaster always made time for the Toys for Tots shoot.

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    So, who's going to send this whole story to the local news outlets?

Outside of anyone on the e-mail list, and us, I doubt anyone even knows about this.

I sure as hell didn't know there was even a range on base, let alone one that costs $16M

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom