• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/n...fyX5S1xkO7-j-lhtL0GHi0mQt7JRW1RSUlyfSNfOWRX_I

The article does not say it, but the web link says Osprey on the browser tab (EDIT: Not an Osprey)

And YES, I know Chincoteague is in VA, but I"m biased to the Eastern shore :)

A U.S. Coast Guard spokesperson confirmed a military aircraft crashed Wednesday evening in the water off Chincoteague Island.

The Coast Guard received reports of a downed military aircraft near Wildcat Marsh at about 7:32 p.m.

A helicopter was dispatched from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City and a 47-foot motor lifeboat was sent from Coast Guard Station Chincoteague to assist in responding to the scene, according to a spokesperson.

Last edited:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    years ago

Saw an Osprey coming in low and slow this morning over the Moravia rd/Pulaski highway area of Baltimore about 9 am.. thought it was strange.. i wonder if it's the same one. You dont see those often around here.

when I worked in DC I would come in Canal Road to get to 19th and L. I would see Ospreys above the Potomac. Thought it was weird to see that plane there.

Sideways

Jan 24, 2010
    Eastern shore of Va.
    Living across the bay from Chincoteague Island we see the Navy Osprey's circling the skies almost daily as they are conducting touch & go training. It is my understanding that one of the runways is marked as the deck of a aircraft carrier.
    Chincoteague Island and the rest of Accomack County Va. is considered the "Eastern Shore"

Sadly one of the three crew members did not make it
    https://www.wmar2news.com/news/loca...county-nasa-wallops-first-responders-on-scene

U4U

Dec 28, 2016
    We heard helos getting down the coastline last night. We knew something was up.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I remember some of those Ospreys tanking in Blackwater years ago but at that time they we’re relatively new.
    My son told me they were troublesome/ prone to catching fire when he rode on them. Luckily they always had one nearby for a ride when they had to leave unexpectedly.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    “…leave unexpectedly”

What a gracious man you are.

There’s a pile of DB and a lot of history among Marine aviators in particular when it comes to tiltrotor evolution and ops. Early adopters and test pilots are blessed with big brass ones.

The a/c in question for this most recent event wasn’t a V22. It’s been correctly id’d as an E2. Another a/c plagued with engineering issues and rough history.

Just because the designers can build something based on theory doesn’t mean it’s wholly reliable. Moreso considering the likely op environments.

God bless the pilots and crew. Heaven help them to stay safe.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Military aviation can be a highly dangerous occupation even when you factor out combat sorties. Getting an aircraft from design to a reliable operational platform, working out all the glitches so the aircraft is as safe as it can possibly be, takes thousands of hours. I lost a buddy in the Marine Corps during the CH-53E "teething problems" due to a crash.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    Prayers for the air crew and their families. My FIL was crew on the E2's during the late years of Vietnam. He had some wild stories about the early birds.

Sideways

Jan 24, 2010
    Eastern shore of Va.
    Assessing Salvage operation.
    It is my understanding the tail section broke away after impact.

Attachments

• pl.jpg
      pl.jpg
      11.1 KB · Views: 143

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The Navy conducts FCLP at Wallops with E2’s.
    RIP to the Navy crew member that passed. Naval aviation can be a dangerous profession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom