• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • James04

Mar 27, 2013
    I have just started reloading and my first attempt has been with
    45 ACP. I have read all the books and watched all the videos.
    I made my first batch and they all stove piped. All my recipes are
    From the hoddgdon website.

Recipe 1:

200 grain .451 cast SWC Bullet
    WSF powder low=6.0 grains High=6.7
    COL = 1.225
    Primer= CCI

Made on a lyman turret press with hornady 45 acp dies
    Mild taper applied with a taper die

I made 5 at 6.2 grains, 5 at 6.4 grains, and 5 at 6.6 grains

All of them resulted in a critical failure, stove pipe.

I changed to a new recipe due to the failure

Recipe 2

200 grain .451 cast SWC Bullet
    WST powder low=4.4 grains High=5.1
    COL = 1.225
    Primer= CCI

I made 5 rounds at 5.0 grains and shot them today.
    Again I had a critical failure, stove pipe.

I am shooting them in a Springfield XD 45 tactical semi auto pistol

Can someone please tell me what my dumbass is doing wrong.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    That's what the Lee Book says as well. I had an issue loading with Unique that was similar....it was the gun and not the load. The load and the recoil spring didn't get along. I researched online and upped my powder charge ever so slightly and it did the trick.

I am sure someone far more experienced will chime in.

For the record, I am using a Colt Combat Commander. I do not know if the recoil spring is factory because I am not the original owner.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Is you gun set up to shoot SWC bullets ? Normally SWC's in Auto pistols are shot in target pistols that are designed for that style bullet. Maybe get yourself some Round nose bullets and see how they function.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I would guess it has a 18~19 puund recoil spring. By stovepiping you mean it is not ejecting the case then the load may be too soft. If its not feeding then what he said above and below. I use a gold cup with an 18 pound recoil spring. My 200 gr swc clock at around 900 fps. Puts them in a nice pile behind me.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...ion-spring-pack-1911-government-reduced-power

Of course it's out of stock but you get the point.

Also. the FP spring has to match the recoil spring so there are no dings in the unfired primer. The FP is free float. I use a Titanium FP to decrease lock time and it s not so massive. This load works for my firearm.
    I use 5.7 gr of 231 behind a 200gr LSWC. Been using it since 85. I don't change because it works for my firearm. A little dirty but all powder is. As for a taper, very mild.

Last edited:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    For .45 acp and cast bullets, use .452" sized 'boolits'.

You mentioned that you had stovepipe jams with each load.

Two things come to mind.
    1. Feedramp/barrel throat configuration/shape.

The barrel throat should look like a "C" turned on it's back.
    The barrel on the left has the correct 'throat' for feeding SWC bullets.
    The barrel on the right is/was made for RN or FMJ/"Ball".

2. Stovepipe jams are classic 'Limp-Wristing' jams.

Are you holding the pistol with a 'locked wrist' on your shooting hand??????

ETA: Post a pic of one of your loaded rounds using that SWC 'boolit'. (You stated that COAL is 1.225". That's awfully short, I do believe.)
    The COAL seems to be too short, to me.
    My 200 gr SWC is a clone of the old H&G #68 mold, and the COAL for that is 1.260".
    You should have just about 1/32" of the SWC 'shoulder' above the casemouth.
    You MIGHT have the boolit seated too deep, and the casemouth is causing problems with feeding.

2nd ETA: This old fart needs new glasses. I have no idea what the barrel throat looks like on the XD45 that you're using.
    I was writing..... just ASSUMING that you were shooting a 1911. Sorry.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For the obvious question , does this gun cycle properly with factory loads , using the same grip , and stance / or rest position ?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Howdy.

Your load is way under power for a 45 acp. They were designed to run with a 230 fmj bullet and a lot of powder. Bullet shape has nothing to do with it because XD45 barrels are well thoated and once that bullets gone it's a moot point.

Are you FULL length resizing your brass all the way down?

To get the same amount of recoil energy, you need to run a lighter bullet with a MUCH higher powder charge. You can't run target loads in an XD45 and get it to cycle properly. That was fine for 1911's because you can change from an 18 pound spring to a 14 pound spring in seconds. I would not even consider changing springs in your XD45.

All of my ACP's run well with a 230 bullet and 6.0 grains of Unique. If I step down to 200 grains, I use 8.0 grains of Unique. That's a 34 percent increase in powder charge. It will take you a month of Sundays to get there jumping up in .2 increments.

1911's have always had ejection issues due to a SMALL ejection port, but that XD45 should run like the wind because the ejection port is HUGE. And that brass should well gone way before you get to the point of picking up a fresh round.

XD45's have some stout springs in them as well. I think you need to increase your powder charge by .5 grains at a time until it runs right.

If you hit Max load data and it's still not working, you have a serious gun problem. Keep in mind, too, that Max loads are LAWYER loads in my opinion, but I'm not telling what to do with that information. ;) If your going by Internet Load Data, DON'T. I've read Horrible load ideas on-line. Buy a Speer or Hornady Bible and work off of that data.

Hope this helps and have fun.

P.S. As the one Gentleman said, if it has feeding issues with standard/factory ammo, the gun has a problem.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Howdy.

Your load is way under power for a 45 acp. They were designed to run with a 230 fmj bullet and a lot of powder.

To get the same amount of recoil energy, you need to run a lighter bullet with a much higher powder charge. You can't run target loads in an XD45 and get it to cycle properly.

All of my ACP's run well with a 230 bullet and 6.5 grains of Unique.

1911's have always had ejection issues due to a SMALL ejection port, but that XD45 should run like the wind because the ejection port is HUGE.

XD45 have some stout springs in them as well. I think you need to increase your powder charge by .5 grains at a time until it runs right.

If you hit Max load data and it's still not working, you have a serious gun problem. If your going by Internet Load Data, DON'T. Buy a Speer or Hornady Bible and work off of that data.

Hope this helps.

I need some new glasses!!!!!!!!

You know, I've now read the OP's opening post THREE times, and it wasn't until you wrote XD45, my eyes were seeing that he was running a 1911!!

Sheeeeeeeesh. I hate getting old!!!!!!!:sad20:

OP: I revise my comments, above.

Go to a heavier load, to overcome the recoil spring in that XD.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC

You know, I've now read the OP's opening post THREE times, and it wasn't until you wrote XD45, my eyes were seeing that he was running a 1911!!

All you need is another cup of coffee.....btw, you're 1911 info has been very helpful to me in the past.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Stovepiping on ejection or on feeding? You can get both, and they are different causes.

On ejection is too stiff of recoil spring or too light of a load or limp wristing. Can also occur with an improperly set extractor.

On feeding, it can be the feed ramp needing work, or the barrel throat as mentioned, or too short a round.

Do NOT assume that new gun is properly made without looking. I have seen factory new guns with poorly shaped and rough feed ramps and improper throating.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

That's OK. I was half asleep looking at the pictures and thinking: Did Springfield change their barrels?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Mostly with you guys. Except for IH8DL's load data for 200grs.

For a good 20yrs before reliable JHPs , H&G #68 with warm loads were THE high performance defensive/ hunting loading. Usually with Unique. These were used a whole lot by lots of people , so lots of knowledege and institutional memory with this combination, and known parameters.

The standard all around performance loading was 7.0gr. By modern standards , this would be a low end +P load , but with steel frame 1911s few issues. The really hairy chested double throw down load was working up to 7.5gr. By modern standards would be either Max for +P , or over. 8.0gr would be in .45Super territory. If you did wish to experement at those levels in a suitable gun , several other powders would give better vel/ pressure results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom