• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amickey1979

Feb 15, 2008
    Easton, ES of MD
    Looking for a small lightweight assisted opening knife and need recommendations. I usually carry a SOG Trident but it is a little heavy when wearing sweatpants.

Thanks in Advance.

Adam M.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I switch between a Kershaw leek and a zero tolerance 0350 assisted opener for my EDC, and am happy with both. the ZT is a little larger and heavier. I used to have issues getting a good edge on the ZT until I recently upgraded to the ken onion worksharp, which works great on everything I have sharpened on it.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    I liked my Gerber Swagger till I lost it recently after had it for about 1.5 year. Do not get the mini version tho. I ordered the same one on the way, but I have heard it's a hit or miss on quality. Overall it was a $25 knife.

FYI. Some jurisdictions are not allow spring assisted knives.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I love my Benchmade Barrage. Extremely light, full-size, and a tanto point. This is my EDC for work. I have clipped it to waistband of sweats and it doesn't weigh them down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      81.5 KB · Views: 289

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Knowing what blade size, budget, and features you want will go a long way to find a good one. Kershaw and SOG makes most of the less expensive AO knives. Problem is the models with steel handles are really heavy for their size and slippery, non-reinforced nylon handles can be flimsy, and the AO is primarily a crutch for cheap construction and what would otherwise be a sluggish gritty opening action. Their framelocks are OK, linerlocks can develop play easily, and can come loose inadvertently on occasion, the SOG arc lock is actually pretty good. Their Sandvik and AUS8 steel is tough, and takes a good edge, but doesn't hold it. The Trident is big with a 3.75" blade, and the handle is bulky, but fairly light at 3.6oz. The Kershaw G10 cryo isn't bad, smaller, flatter, comfortable, but actually just as heavy. The SOG Aegis is a little smaller, and thinner, actually a decent knife, a little lighter too, just not all that comfortable in the hand.

The lightweight Spyderco Manix2 series are lighter at 3oz, great ergonomics, they have good to epic steel(depending on model), great locks, great blade shape, much stronger and grippier FRN handles than unreinforced plastic. Other models like the Delica are a useable size, good VG10 steel, and lighter still at 2.5oz. They use decently slick bronze bushings, and the large spiderhole is so easy to use, when properly adjusted they flip open just as quick and easy as an AO knife, but without the added complexity and difficulty closing. Plenty more choices that can be fantastic once you top $100+

tjohn55

LDO for CNO!
    Jan 13, 2016
    Willards, MD
    I got that Benchmade for Christmas

I love my Benchmade Barrage. Extremely light, full-size, and a tanto point. This is my EDC for work. I have clipped it to waistband of sweats and it doesn't weigh them down.

It's now my favorite knife. Absolutely rocks! Very easy opening with the flick of the thumb. Razor sharp and looks awesome. Very, very well made.
    tj

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom