Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Off topic posts removed.

Xfade

Dec 26, 2011
    Anne Arundel Co.
    Just an update.

My attorney has been in contact with someone higher up at the "department of public safety & correctional services", who is apparently going to fix my rap sheet. Honestly though I'm concerned on how long it will take them to do it. They didn't make it easy to get in touch with anyone over there who had any authority. I don't understand the smoke & mirrors when it comes to the state government. :mad54:

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    I believe that the problem is that your case is old enough to not be included in the computerized files. If it was prior the early to mid 90's (not sure of the exact date) then the full cases (read results) were not entered into the current computer system. To prove that you got a PBJ you need to either have the paperwork from your case, or go to the Maryland Archives in Annapolis and get a copy of them. That will cost you $25.00, but you will then have it in hand and can include a copy of it for any future purchases.

No police department will do this for you, you have to do it yourself. I know it's a PITA, but that will rectify your problem and will most likely be the cheapest way to do it.

Hope that helps.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    If you're in Harford Co, go the records office in Bel Air, they'll give you a copy of a report/whatever for $5, I believe. Should be the most up-to-date.

From there I would imagine you can get it corrected/expunged/sealed at the records office, or definitely at the court house. Just walk up to the counter and they'll take care of you.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I'm amazed that a 15 yr old assault charge is grounds to deny you your 2nd ammendment rights...Is that just for regulated weapons? :shocking:

Once convicted of a prohibiting crime, misdemeanor or felony, always prohibited, nationwide, for life, for any firearm.

Most black powder and muzzleloaders aren't considered firearms per ATF.

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    Its good to hear you got it straightened out.

I hate to thread hijack but this got me thinking about my situation. I was charged and found not guilty of assault in 2003. This has never interfered with my ability to buy a gun. However it slowed down my FL non res. permit. They said the result of the case was not found on my FBI rap sheet and they couldn't issue it until I sent them something showing the outcome. I easily went to District Court and got a certified copy and a week later had my permit.

My question to the lawyers on the board is how easy is it to get an FBI rap sheet updated? It amazes me how convenient it was to be on my FBI rap sheet but MSP couldn't bother with reporting the outcome.

bpSchoch

Jan 16, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    Here are the official steps if you are not approved:

§ 5-126. Hearings

(a) Right to hearing. --

(1) A firearm applicant who is aggrieved by the action of the Secretary may request a hearing by writing to the Secretary within 30 days after the Secretary forwards notice to the firearm applicant under § 5-122 of this subtitle.

(2) The Secretary shall grant the hearing within 15 days after receiving the request.

(b) Application of contested case provisions. -- The hearing shall be held in accordance with Title 10, Subtitle 2 of the State Government Article.

(c) Venue. -- The hearing shall be held in the county of the legal residence of the firearm applicant.

Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-126

§ 5-127. Judicial review

Any subsequent judicial review shall be held in accordance with Title 10, Subtitle 2 of the State Government Article.

Which describes the procedure for the review.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    They did officially deny a civil right...

They did...but it worked out in the end. Gotta pick your battles.

I soo know they do.;) Your right, I should just let it go. I'm just really agitated about the whole thing.

I would be too, in fact, I'm aggitated just reading your story! I always remind myself, the best revenge is a life well lived.

Or, put another way, the worst part of stepping on someone's dick is you wind up stepping on your own in the process (or something like that).

Where are you going to go to shoot/train?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom