• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    I'm looking for a sturdy backpack type bag to be used as a bug out bag for my girlfriend's car. She's not going to be able to carry anything large and I'm going to fill it with basic needs just in case she gets stranded somewhere and has to make her way to someplace safe on foot. I've looked online and there are many many options. It does not need to have a holster or a compartment for a firearm. That will not be one of the items placed in the bag. That's by her choice not mine. She's not anti-gun in any way she just doesn't feel comfortable carrying one around in the car.
    Guns shouldn't be stored in cars long term, so she's wiser than she knows in that regard. Chuck in some antibiotics and clif bars, some Paracord and a good knife. Bear mace, too. Pro tip: you can get antibiotics in powdered form at PetSmart.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Whatever you decide on, make sure it's water proof.

As for it's contents, tailor it to your gf's knowledge base: First aid? Camping? Hiking? Land Navigation?

If she has a limited knowledge base, maybe some first aid training or orienteering is in order.

Stick to the basics: food, water, warmth, navigation. Expand from there as her knowledge base grows.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Whatever you decide on, make sure it's water proof.

As for it's contents, tailor it to your gf's knowledge base: First aid? Camping? Hiking? Land Navigation?

If she has a limited knowledge base, maybe some first aid training or orienteering is in order.

Stick to the basics: food, water, warmth, navigation. Expand from there as her knowledge base grows.
    Sound advice.

A wound closure kit with glue, sutures and staples won’t do any good in the hands of a unskilled novice.

Keep it simple and basic.

Have her pack it and repack it every six months or so. Have her carry it…for some distance and time.

Be mindful of the season(s) she is likely to endure.

Water. Warmth. Dry. Food. An appropriate map.

Water should include a carrier and a filter of some sort. Maybe even the “key” used on the commercial hose bibs outside buildings…

Ability to make fire (note notion above and have her practice making fire).

Mo simple. Mo better.

Training is money. Best kit in the world is worth shit if you don’t have will n skill to use it.

Good luck with this. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I wouldn't use anything that looks tactical, military, or has a designer name. She'll stick out like a sore thumb.
    Tactical and military is a style. I see kids all the time with that look. I don't think it stands out. As to designer name...I wouldn't know one of it slapped me in the face.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Once she moves there I will again attempt to persuade her to carry one in her car...
    I wouldn't. If she's not comfortable enough for it to even be in the car, she'll definitely never use it, or worse, she'll only brandish it to try to scare the threat away and have it taken and used against her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom