• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm looking for a sturdy backpack type bag to be used as a bug out bag for my girlfriend's car. She's not going to be able to carry anything large and I'm going to fill it with basic needs just in case she gets stranded somewhere and has to make her way to someplace safe on foot. I've looked online and there are many many options. It does not need to have a holster or a compartment for a firearm. That will not be one of the items placed in the bag. That's by her choice not mine. She's not anti-gun in any way she just doesn't feel comfortable carrying one around in the car.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    1: Any bag will do, if it fits her.
    2: As you assemble a kit, watch the weight. If she can't carry it comfortably for 5 miles, it'll be abandoned or dumped.
    3: Sample list- water, blanket, rain-gear (light poncho), flashlight, food, first aid pack, phone charger.

Triggerfinger

States Rights!
    Sep 1, 2012
    Richlands, North Carolina
    There's no standard for what goes in a bug out bag. Too many variables such as the area that you live in, distance of travel and time to get there, hazards, weather, emergency situation, your physical condition ect.
    Pack based on need, not cool factor. If you can get home within a one day march, then 50 percent of the stupid crap that you'll never use can be eliminated.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Seems like you need to watch some You Tube videos on get home bags. Probably need around a 20-25 liter capacity bag. Water and away to get and carry more, shelter whether a poncho, or tarp. Light spare batteries, fire kit, something to boil water in, one or two meals. A lot depends on how far she has to travel. Go with worst case and by foot travel.

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    Since this is for a girl…. Pack a pair of socks and tennis shoes. Otherwise good chance she gets stranded in flip ops or heels

Fate

Mar 18, 2012
    No gun, ok. Pepper spray and a knife at minimum should be in her kit as well.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm a fan of discreet.
    Buy a good quality branded (so it seems obvious what it is) sports bag with a padded shoulder strap.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    1: Any bag will do, if it fits her.
    2: As you assemble a kit, watch the weight. If she can't carry it comfortably for 5 miles, it'll be abandoned or dumped.
    3: Sample list- water, blanket, rain-gear (light poncho), flashlight, food, first aid pack, phone charger.

With backpacking trips, the general rule is to keep weight no more than 1/4 or 1/3 of body weight, adjusting for fitness level. For the described purpose, aiming more at 1/4 body weight as an initial guideline sound appropriate.

After you have an initial bag prepared, time for a day hike for her to test it out for comfort.

Since this is for a girl…. Pack a pair of socks and tennis shoes. Otherwise good chance she gets stranded in flip ops or heels

Office wear (and the like) is frequently poor for hiking, and not just in the footwear department. I would recommend a change of clothes and footwear appropriate for the season.

I'm a fan of discreet.
    Buy a good quality branded (so it seems obvious what it is) sports bag with a padded shoulder strap.

+1

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Don't forget to put $100 (5 twenties, not a $100 bill. lol) in the bag. I'd add one of those water purification pumps, a set of warm, comfortable clothes, good rechargable flashlight, and the other items that were previously mentioned.

Then why is she your girlfriend? :innocent0
    She has been told by both of her LEO sons that guns in cars in get stolen...I told her I would mount a safe box under the seat and it can live there until she needs it but she said no. I "think" she thinks one of us are going to come to her rescue...She's probably right. Right now her project is at GBMC but she will be moving to Hopkins main hospital in Baltimore after the summer. Once she moves there I will again attempt to persuade her to carry one in her car. Honestly I would prefer her to take the class and get her wear and carry but she shows little interest. She likes going to the range and isn't a bad shot. I think it might have something to do with her feelings on how to cope with taking a life if it came down to it..I keep telling her it's them or you...Doesn't matter. She does her thing...It is what it is.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    She has been told by both of her LEO sons that guns in cars in get stolen...I told her I would mount a safe box under the seat and it can live there until she needs it but she said no. I "think" she thinks one of us are going to come to her rescue...She's probably right. Right now her project is at GBMC but she will be moving to Hopkins main hospital in Baltimore after the summer. Once she moves there I will again attempt to persuade her to carry one in her car. Honestly I would prefer her to take the class and get her wear and carry but she shows little interest. She likes going to the range and isn't a bad shot. I think it might have something to do with her feelings on how to cope with taking a life if it came down to it..I keep telling her it's them or you...Doesn't matter. She does her thing...It is what it is.

I expected you to say it was because she does fun and unspeakable things to you. Many a man has fallen to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom