• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    I acquired a Star M43 in 9mm and it came with a broken firing pin. I have been unable to locate one and I think it will have to be made.

Anyone have the equipment to machine a couple of these things. I have the leftover pin. It looks like about a 1/4" of the tip was broken off.

Any suggestions other than tossing the gun will be accepted:lol2:

Thanks, Jim

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    I have, the company is Spain has a dead link and Bobs doesn't have them for the M43.

And as a big a following as these things have you would think there is a potential for making some money on the parts that keep failing, ie firing pins. If you searched you probably noticed alot of "firing pin needed" links.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    That site is an informational site only, no stuff for sale but a good source of info none the less.

Jul 1, 2012
    Try contacting SARCO (and/or Numrich), they don't have one listed but oft-times have parts squirreled away. They may know if there's a cross-compatible pin that would work.
    I feel your pain...

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    This is what I have and where it needs to be...

Attachments

• star firing pin 002 (800x623).jpg
      star firing pin 002 (800x623).jpg
      67.6 KB · Views: 243

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Check the phone book for a competent local machine shop. Looks like something that could be copied fairly easily on a lathe. Then cold blue at home. Might want to have them make several and recoup some of the cost answering the firing pin needed ads.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    I sent an email to a local gunsmith/machinist but he hasn't responded back yet and his vm is full.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    If you cannot find one try calling Bob, at Bollinger's who is an IP on this site. 410 756-5454. He has all the machines necessary to make one for you. Just bought a new milling machine and lathe late last year, and some other cool stuff. Laser engraver I think also.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    Well, Bobs gun parts, Numrich, and Sarco are out. Looks like machining is what it will have to be.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    One off machining is time consuming and expensive. $90.00 an hour.

Most CNC shops won't stop their run to do a single piece.

Add in the hardening process and you're looking at a good pile of dough.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    While it may not be the most complicated part it includes a tapered section a radius a few different diameters, shoulders, etc, all of which have to be measured and accurately identified to be reproduced. I suspect the finished part will need some final fitting also. Tapers can be a real pain in the ass to match. Totally doable, but it might near the cost of the firearm if you can't do it yourself.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    ^^^^^All of the above^^^^^

If it weren't for the taper, it could go into a collet chuck and the broken section could be drilled out. Annealed first of course. Then machine a new pointy end and graft the two pieces together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom