• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    Can't remember the fellows name exactly, but I've seen a number of messages from members here about a local gunsmith who is good with the Garand...Charley somebody?
    Can someone help me out?

By the way, the problem involves the plug screw holding the gas cylinder in place. Try as I might, I cannot budge the rascal. And I do have the correct tool for removal. The CMP smiths really put this on! (I just want to be able to change the stock and this is the first step to get the upper wood off.)

Any/all help will be appreciated.

MGBill

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    Have you tried heating it? Heat it with a heat gun and let it cool. That may break whatever is holding it tight. I assume you have tried putting penetrating oil on it and letting it sit? If you heat it, be careful not to burn the wood (don't ask me how I know that).

Good luck.

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    Can't remember the fellows name exactly, but I've seen a number of messages from members here about a local gunsmith who is good with the Garand...Charley somebody?
    Can someone help me out?

By the way, the problem involves the plug screw holding the gas cylinder in place. Try as I might, I cannot budge the rascal. And I do have the correct tool for removal. The CMP smiths really put this on! (I just want to be able to change the stock and this is the first step to get the upper wood off.)

MGBill

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I think it’s tools. Plural. Maybe you meant that. I just know it’s tough if you can’t focus your energy if you only have one tool and not the one to fix the other piece very securely, even if it’s just a bit more.

The cylinder wrench to fix the cylinder in place and the cleaning rod handle with the gas plug bit. Do you have both? My vote is for the soak in penetrating oil, liquid wrench or kroil for a good while. Make a little reservoir and stand the rifle up so the muzzle sits in it.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I have used a big ass crescent wrench to carefully hold the gas cylinder while using a 1/4” ratchet handle with a short extension to loosen tough poppet valve screws.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Can someone help me out?

MGBill
    As was already mentioned, Charlie Maloney is the man you want to see about a Garand.

He works by appointment, so email first. He usually gets back pretty quickly.

If this is a recent CMP purchase, I would highly recommend asking him to do a technical inspection. It is well worth the money and in my opinion, a bargain for what he charges.

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    Solved the problem. Do have both proper tools and finally jury-rigged a way to apply both with some extra torque. Had been using applications of Kroil which may have helped also.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Glad you got it sorted!

If you have a Garand, take it to Charlie. He just looked over my recent CMP acquisition on Monday and did a trigger job. It was well worth the $100 to watch him work and get advice from a man who has known these guns inside and out for 40 years. Not to mention it now has a crisp 4.5 lb trigger!

WeldonHunter

Apr 27, 2011
    Louisiana
    Try Kroil…that’s about the best penetrating oil there is.
    This /\ Been using Kroil for 30+ years and it is the best. I used to rehab old industrial stapling machines that weighed 700lbs or more, made of mostly cast iron and steel that sat in damp and sometimes wet packing warehouses. Most were rusted to hell and Kroil would loosen up the most stubborn nuts or bolts.

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    Glad you got it sorted!

If you have a Garand, take it to Charlie. He just looked over my recent CMP acquisition on Monday and did a trigger job. It was well worth the $100 to watch him work and get advice from a man who has known these guns inside and out for 40 years. Not to mention it now has a crisp 4.5 lb trigger!
    Just set up my appt with Charlie for my Garand Inspection and trigger adjustment at the end of June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom