• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    So my mom, the greatest in the world decided to surprise me with a triple gift holy crap present. After dad passed earlier this year I have gone up to upstate NY every month to help out so she ask what gun I wanted and a back up in a price range, so I told 2 of my bucket list guns in that range and some normal choices. Would yea believe when I went to fill out the paper for what I thought would be one there were three. A CZ527 7.62x39 that dad had got me before he passed, and both the Bucket guns, CZ550 in 375h&h, CZ550 UHR in .300 Win Mag.

Now the CZ527 is getting the VX-1 3x9 from Luepold and the CZ550 Safari Magnum is getting the VX-3 1.5x5 from Luepold

The issue is the CZ550 UHR, I can hold off on glassing the other 2 as they come with great iron sights, But the UHR which came from the factory with a very nice Mono scope mount for the locking base (30mm) has no sights and can shoot better then me. My budget is maxed at about $500.00 And the farthest ill be able to shoot with all the ranges around here looks to be about 600 yards. So I was wondering what people have good luck with or suggestions. I have had good luck with Vortex has I have 4 of them though I might give the VX-1 I try to see if there is much of a difference on my 22lr's, Sorry rambling.

The Scopes I have been looking at are:
    VOMZ PV 2-10x52
    Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50FFP
    Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16x44

Wondering if their are any other scopes in the price range I have missed.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I got a Nikon Monarch 4-16 on sale from Natchez when Nikon changed to the Monarch 2 (now it's the Monarch 3). Great scope - not cheap. Nikon also makes a ProStaff and Buckmasters line. The Vortex Viper is nice (I also have one; 2.5-10) but they ain't cheap either. My Vortex Viper is a 30mm tube.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Best scope you can buy in that price range:
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42M-Tactical-Riflescope-P53713.aspx
    Yoshi has one on one of his rifles, I've made a 600 yard hit with it at Ft Meade.

How well can you see at 500-600 with a 10x power scope? I sometimes have issues using my 4x power scope on my PSL at 100 yards. Looking at what people say about it, it seems tough as nails. Ill have to pull of a scope and drive to a friends house where I can get an Idea of range.

I got a Nikon Monarch 4-16 on sale from Natchez when Nikon changed to the Monarch 2 (now it's the Monarch 3). Great scope - not cheap. Nikon also makes a ProStaff and Buckmasters line. The Vortex Viper is nice (I also have one; 2.5-10) but they ain't cheap either. My Vortex Viper is a 30mm tube.

Sadly looking at the Monarch series, it looks like the 7 and the prostaff (I think though its meant for 22LR) come in 30mm tube. It would help if some sights had an option to search 30mm vs 1 inch tube size.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    $500 for a scope worthy of that rifle is tough. I'd be looking for a used Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 or same power Leupold VX-3.... Otherwise your going to eventually get there anywhere and have wasted time, money and ammo. Your other guns are properly scoped, why cheap out now?

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    How well can you see at 500-600 with a 10x power scope? I sometimes have issues using my 4x power scope on my PSL at 100 yards. Looking at what people say about it, it seems tough as nails. Ill have to pull of a scope and drive to a friends house where I can get an Idea of range.

Sadly looking at the Monarch series, it looks like the 7 and the prostaff (I think though its meant for 22LR) come in 30mm tube. It would help if some sights had an option to search 30mm vs 1 inch tube size.

But in the same light, why do they still send the old documentation and manuals from Tasco with the Tasco name plastered everywhere? I would think they would want to separate themselves from the Tasco name all together

http://www.snipercentral.com/swfa-ss-10x42mm-tactical-rifle-scope/

SS scopes are made in Japan. Tasco may be a parent company, just as Steiner being owned by Bushnell I believe.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    $500 for a scope worthy of that rifle is tough. I'd be looking for a used Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 or same power Leupold VX-3.... Otherwise your going to eventually get there anywhere and have wasted time, money and ammo. Your other guns are properly scoped, why cheap out now?

Sorry if i wasn't clear, those were the scopes I wanted to get them as I thought I was "maybe" getting one of the three, I didn't expect to get all three lol. As 2 of the have fine iron sights on them and many budget was small as it was, I thought it would be best to consolidate my money into 1 good scope instead of 3 cheapo scopes.

The consensus I'm getting is I need to save a bit more coin though I do have a had time parting with enough money that I could buy 2-3 more guns with. That said, I understand that this firearm will out shoot me for sometime unless it's matched with the proper glass, it's just when the price gets to 800+, it's territory I little about though he options do open up a bit.

It is though a nice burden to have

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    So my mom, the greatest in the world decided to surprise me with a triple gift holy crap present. After dad passed earlier this year I have gone up to upstate NY every month to help out so she ask what gun I wanted and a back up in a price range, so I told 2 of my bucket list guns in that range and some normal choices. Would yea believe when I went to fill out the paper for what I thought would be one there were three. A CZ527 7.62x39 that dad had got me before he passed, and both the Bucket guns, CZ550 in 375h&h, CZ550 UHR in .300 Win Mag.

Now the CZ527 is getting the VX-1 3x9 from Luepold and the CZ550 Safari Magnum is getting the VX-3 1.5x5 from Luepold

The issue is the CZ550 UHR, I can hold off on glassing the other 2 as they come with great iron sights, But the UHR which came from the factory with a very nice Mono scope mount for the locking base (30mm) has no sights and can shoot better then me. My budget is maxed at about $500.00 And the farthest ill be able to shoot with all the ranges around here looks to be about 600 yards. So I was wondering what people have good luck with or suggestions. I have had good luck with Vortex has I have 4 of them though I might give the VX-1 I try to see if there is much of a difference on my 22lr's, Sorry rambling.

The Scopes I have been looking at are:
    VOMZ PV 2-10x52
    Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50FFP
    Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16x44

Wondering if their are any other scopes in the price range I have missed.
    I would recommend the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 w/Dead Hold BDC reticle. $470 at MidwayUSA. Scopes that have zoom ranges over 3x require expensive glass to keep the lens image sharp at the long end (its physics, as the same thing applies to camera zoom lenses). So don't trust any scope with a zoom range over 3x unless it cost at least $1000 or more. ED and Fluorite glass costs $$$ even from China. I have its discontinued little brother the Viper 6.5-20x44 that I got on close-out at MidwayUSA on my 6.8mm AR with the same reticle. I use it mainly for head shots on varmints at the farm although I built it for DMR.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I would recommend the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 w/Dead Hold BDC reticle. $470 at MidwayUSA. Scopes that have zoom ranges over 3x require expensive glass to keep the lens image sharp at the long end (its physics, as the same thing applies to camera zoom lenses). So don't trust any scope with a zoom range over 3x unless it cost at least $1000 or more. ED and Fluorite glass costs $$$ even from China. I have its discontinued little brother the Viper 6.5-20x44 that I got on close-out at MidwayUSA on my 6.8mm AR with the same reticle. I use it mainly for head shots on varmints at the farm although I built it for DMR.

I didn't know that about lenses thank you, Ill go with the Vortex, at the very least when I outgrow it and want to up grade I can move it to a project gun, something I have to many of lol. Thanks again for the lens info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom