Need Help on making a Decision On AR-15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock_Fireman

Professional Pot Stirrer
    Apr 6, 2013
    Freedom Land
    I have a couple of options here:

1- SIG SAUER M400
    2- SIG SAUER Sig516
    3- S&W M&P15
    4- Custom Build

So my question is that in your opinion out of these which would be my best route to go?

If I custom build I will be buying pieces seprately then putting it together myself and if you say custom build is the best route. Please give me some ideas on what Uppers or Lowers to go with. By the way just to let you guys know this will be the first AR I will ever own and I am up to the challenge of putting it together myself.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Seems like you want to go custom. If one of the other 3 guns has everything you want though, that's probably the cheaper way to go. All my guns ended up costing me a lot more then just buying one off the shelf... All my lowers/uppers seem to go well together
    Noveske Gen II lower/Vltor Mur 1A upper is probably my favorite combo.
    There's tons of great options though and depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

What are you looking to get out of the rifle? Fighting gun? Precision Work? Just dicking around at the range for fun

Glock_Fireman

Professional Pot Stirrer
    Apr 6, 2013
    Freedom Land
    Seems like you want to go custom. If one of the other 3 guns has everything you want though, that's probably the cheaper way to go. All my guns ended up costing me a lot more then just buying one off the shelf... All my lowers/uppers seem to go well together
    Noveske Gen II lower/Vltor Mur 1A upper is probably my favorite combo.
    There's tons of great options though and depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

What are you looking to get out of the rifle? Fighting gun? Precision Work? Just dicking around at the range for fun

Just something all around I want reliability for encase I need to use it to fight with but really want it for the range also. I am debating on buying on already put together and maybe buying a lower or 2 to put together myself. But I do know if I buy one already put together and I buy a lower I do want to buy a SBR Upper to put on the Lower for a CQC Build on the AR.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I say buy the parts and build your own. Building an AR is a fun process and it helps you become intimate with your rifle. Lastly, putting the rifle together gives you a good amount of knowledge about the working parts of it.

Grab a lower from a reputable manufacturer and if you want a battle tested rifle that will hold up to extreme conditions then look at uppers from BCM, Noveske and Daniel Defense. There are also other reputable battle tested upper manufacturers as well but those are the three off the top of my head.

If you're looking for a round about number, I just got done a build using a BCM upper and it cost me about $1500 without optics. Mind you, I refused to pay post panic prices so I waited for things to come back in stock. In my opinion $1500 for a high end AR ain't all that bad. Especially when you see your buddies paying the same amount for a DPMS or a Plumb Crazy build back in January. Yes, I had to laugh at my friend who spent $1400 on an AR built using a Plumb Crazy lower and a DPMS upper.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Glock_Fireman

Professional Pot Stirrer
    Apr 6, 2013
    Freedom Land
    I say buy the parts and build your own. Building an AR is a fun process and it helps you become intimate with your rifle. Lastly, putting the rifle together gives you a good amount of knowledge about the working parts of it.

Grab a lower from a reputable manufacturer and if you want a battle tested rifle that will hold up to extreme conditions then look at uppers from BCM, Noveske and Daniel Defense. There are also other reputable battle tested upper manufacturers as well but those are the three off the top of my head.

If you're looking for a round about number, I just got done a build using a BCM upper and it cost me about $1500 without optics. Mind you, I refused to pay post panic prices so I waited for things to come back in stock. In my opinion $1500 for a high end AR ain't all that bad. Especially when you see your buddies paying the same amount for a DPMS or a Plumb Crazy build back in January. Yes, I had to laugh at my friend who spent $1400 on an AR built using a Plumb Crazy lower and a DPMS upper.

I'm looking at the Pre-built AR's between 1k and 1500 from my ffl mind you he only sells to public service officials. But I defiantly think that building my own would be fun and exciting also educational. But what about lowers does it matter what I was to get? Anything I should stay away from?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Stay away from Hess and Vulcan. You have been warned.

As for build versus buy, buy three or four stripped lowers and build them out when the other components are cheaper.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I'm looking at the Pre-built AR's between 1k and 1500 from my ffl mind you he only sells to public service officials. But I defiantly think that building my own would be fun and exciting also educational. But what about lowers does it matter what I was to get? Anything I should stay away from?

What FFL only sells to Public Service Officials? I happen to be one. Is everything in his shop only for public service employees?

^^There ya go.:thumbsup:

I hated polymer/plastic/whatever on a firearm (they're supposed to be Walnut and Blued steel :innocent0).Since joining this forum,I'm on my 4th AR build (assembling process) and the satisfaction of having something you assembled and know is "yours" outweighs buying something.IMO

Stay away from Hess and Vulcan. You have been warned.

As for build versus buy, buy three or four stripped lowers and build them out when the other components are cheaper.

+1,stock up on lowers.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Build your own.

That way you can pick exactly the pieces you want and you will end up saving money. Buying one already assembled can make it hard to find exactly what you want.

Glock_Fireman

Professional Pot Stirrer
    Apr 6, 2013
    Freedom Land
    So my next question is do all uppers fit all lowers like I said I'm new to this part I have shot AR's but never owned one and I have been wanting one so I think I am going to take the advice from you guys and build my own And stock up on some lowers. But how about a recommendation on a short barreled upper I think for the first one I will just want to peice it together and actually take my time and caress the rest I'm thinking at least 3 lowers to start off with.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just make sure to have your paperwork in order before you go throwing a SBR upper onto something with a stock on it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Already got the Serial # off my Noveske lower that's in process. Just need to figure out my OAL length and have my sheriff sign-off.

If my designated collector status arrives soon enough, I'll go broke buying more lowers.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Oh so SBR uppers require paperwork too?

A pre-made factory one, new in box - typically do, most manufacturers want proof of your NFA approval before selling/sending one to you. Stag Arms comes to mind there.

No paperwork to build an SBR upper, but if your going to attach it to a stocked lower, you better sure have your cancelled stamp/paperwork in hand. Otherwise you just manufactured an illegal SBR.

toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD
    I would look at Precision Firearms to. Mark builds a good rifle for the money. He is a Marylander, and he customizes if you want something tweaked. I bought one from him because when I broke down the cost it was not much more and I am no gunsmith. I am trying to build my second one though. I got the lower just to broke for the rest of it.

Glock_Fireman

Professional Pot Stirrer
    Apr 6, 2013
    Freedom Land
    NFA? What all does that involve?

I'm no gunsmith either but I have taken handguns fully apart and put them back together that was fun. So I don't think I will have to much trouble I'm pretty technically inclined.

So what is the shortest barrel I can get if I did not want to have to go through anymore hoops?

I would like to stay away from a heavy barrel on at least one of the AR's is that possible with no other hoops?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom