• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skooter525

Sep 27, 2008
    Aberdump
    My AR15 bolt not closing all the way just clicks not hitting the primer. When I rack a round bolt will close all but the last 1/2 inch, and feels stuck to where I have to pry the bolt back to eject the round. I cleaned it real good, checked my ammo on a case gauge. NEED HELP

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Have you tried lubing it? Check to see the buffer is traveling freely back in the buffer tube. Take the upper off and check to make sure the bolt and charging handle are assembled correctly and not dragging.
    Is this a home build? Manufacturer/parts/forged/billet?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Have you tried lubing it? Check to see the buffer is traveling freely back in the buffer tube. Take the upper off and check to make sure the bolt and charging handle are assembled correctly and not dragging.
    Is this a home build? Manufacturer/parts/forged/billet?

:thumbsup: That would be my first guess too...

skooter525

Sep 27, 2008
    Aberdump
    Yes this is a home build, yes I did lube it, took it apart and cleaned it. Everything is assembled correctly as far as I can tell. I'm thinking it could be my reloads. But I dropped a reload in the chamber by hand shut the bolt it went closed fine. Maybe the feed ramp?

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Do you have another AR you can swap the Bolt carrier group from? Do you have factory ammo you can try? How does it cycle with no ammo? Did you clean the new barrel? I've had new barrels that needed cleaning before they would cycle properly.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Does it fully cycle without cartridges? The last half inch of travel is about where the gas tube engages the carrier key - check your gas tube alignment.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I had one of my first ar builds do this. Turned out to be that the buffer tube in the a2 stock needed oiled as it was not letting the buffer move free enough to cycle. Stupid situation but as long as I kept the inside of the buffer tube lubed it worked great.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Are you riding the charging handle?

Lock the bolt back, hit the paddle/release. Don't try to close the bolt via the charging handle.

Ferg

Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Dorchester County
    All joking aside, in my case my bolt would not lock up with a go guage, called the manufacturer and they told me it was rough cut, and needed to be finished.

Probably not op's
    issue anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom