• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I would suggest you scout the farm with your friend, not only to know the property boundaries, also to see what kind of range for your shots you are looking at.

Rather than trying to hunt with a marginal caliber, consider getting a used deer rifle set up for the job. Wherever you find used firearms, there are always a couple of scoped bolt actions in typical deer calibers available.

If he can show damage from the deer, your friend may be able to apply for a nuisance permit. With the permit, there are fewer restrictions on when and how you can hunt and you may not even need the expensive non-resident permit to do so.

And if the OP is concerned at all with recoil a 243 will drop them pretty well although he might be better off just getting a 30.06 or .308 or even a .270. Those caliber are basically adequate for anything in Continental US.

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    And as far as the Coydogs/Coywolves, PBS did an excellent documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9-Q1eIFA_U

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but have added it to my watch later list! Thanx!

I'm getting seriously antsy for my new LDub, as I've had a few friends going out yote calling with great success.

I've bagged dozens of deer with the .30-06. As has been said before, there isn't an animal in North America that it cannot take down. The only reason I deviated to my .300RUM is because my .30-06 is an 03A3 customized by my grandfather, so the last thing I want to do is damage it or burn out the original barrel.

As for the road thing... I still say Rt. 57! Namely because I provided a forward assist to a 6pt that was derping along behind an 8pt. No visible damage except for the crap it took on my grill, will check the bumper cover alignment and bushings when I get home this evening. (Infiniti G37S 6MT sedan I'm keeping as a project car) If I could hurry up and find the right Tundra, I'll slap an ARB front end on it so the only decision I'll have to make won't be about braking... it'll be burger or jerky! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom