Need MA, CT, RI, NJ, NY CCW permits. Anyone local do training?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    Checking to see if anyone in the area does CCW training for the northeastern states. I see multi state training in CT and MA, but one has to travel for those. I thought to check and see if there are any local training options

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I know for a NY permit they have to be approved by NY and registered. NY also posts their registered trainers on line. The other states also do so and you will need to visit each site.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I know for a NY permit they have to be approved by NY and registered. NY also posts their registered trainers on line. The other states also do so and you will need to visit each site.
    You also have to be a NY resident, do business in NY, or be a part-time NY resident.

I believe RI is still “may issue” for non-residents because those permits are issued by the attorney general and “shall issue” permits are available for residents via the sheriffs’ offices.

You should be ok with NJ, MA, and CT though.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    D
    You also have to be a NY resident, do business in NY, or be a part-time NY resident.

I believe RI is still “may issue” for non-residents because those permits are issued by the attorney general and “shall issue” permits are available for residents via the sheriffs’ offices.

You should be ok with NJ, MA, and CT though.
    How does NY define do business? Do they mean a storefront? Or does it simply mean having customers from NY? (For example...if one has a merchant type business and has bonifide purchases from NY state residents, does that qualify as doing business in NY?)

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    D

How does NY define do business? Do they mean a storefront? Or does it simply mean having customers from NY? (For example...if one has a merchant type business and has bonifide purchases from NY state residents, does that qualify as doing business in NY?)
    I have no idea. I'd imagine it's directly related to paying NY taxes in some fashion. I looked into NY permits because I go to Buffalo a few times a year to visit family, but I wouldn't be able to get past this hurdle (I live in MD and don't have any NY dealings). Hopefully another lawsuit will correct this infringement.

RennBaer

Aug 16, 2022
    NY-istan
    Here is what the NY penal law says:

"Applications shall be made and renewed, in the
    case of a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver or to
    purchase or take possession of a semiautomatic rifle, to the licensing
    officer in the city or county, as the case may be, where the applicant
    resides, is principally employed or has his or her principal place of
    business as merchant or storekeeper; and, in the case of a license as
    gunsmith or dealer in firearms, to the licensing officer where such
    place of business is located."

Basically, you need to have some sort of physical address that is located in NY. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way around this. I have heard of some people using the address of a family member that lives in NY and receiving their permits that way, but that is kind of a gray area.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Checking to see if anyone in the area does CCW training for the northeastern states. I see multi state training in CT and MA, but one has to travel for those. I thought to check and see if there are any local training options

For now NJ is just a qual course. NRA or other certified instructor can do it.

You can do either HQC1: https://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/firearms2001.pdf

or the RPO course which is 50 rounds at various distances.

NJ has really no standards, yet. It is coming though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom