• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jessestone

Jan 18, 2011
    Looking at going down to Peacemaker for a IDPA in the AM and a 2 gun in the PM. What are the distances shot in the 2 gun matches with the rifle?

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Looking at going down to Peacemaker for a IDPA in the AM and a 2 gun in the PM. What are the distances shot in the 2 gun matches with the rifle?

It varies. Max distance is probably 500 yards, but not every match goes out that far. To the extent there are long distance stages, I'd say they are typically 300 yards and in.

jessestone

Jan 18, 2011
    hmmmmm.....need to get out there and brush up....typically the longest we shoot is 150 yards.

milwriter

Oct 21, 2013
    Bethesda
    Jesse...I've done two 2 Guns out there and it is a blast for sure. I would say that the long range stage (there's usually only one) is pretty tough. The ranges can go out to 500 yds, but on one of the matches they were in the 300 yd range and SMALL targets. My sight sucked for those ranges (I was using a red dot with a 3x magnifier) and the narrow targets were tough for me. They instituted a par time and I can't think of anyone in my squad who hit all the targets at range within the par time.

I recently got a 1-5 Burris tactical optic and hope that'll help me some.

Despite the frustrating long range stage, the rest of the competition is totally awesome. So much fun and pretty easy going. Note, however, that if there's a morning 2 gun, the afternoon one can sometimes be delayed in start time to allow those gunners to finish the course.

Hope this helps some.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    From my 3-gun experience at PNTC if you know your optic and ammo 1-5x should be good out to 500y or so. I used a Burris 1-4x out to 400y with no issues and only upgraded to 1.5-6x in case they went longer.

jessestone

Jan 18, 2011
    What optic and zero are you running?

Vortex red dot (StrikeFire or SPARC), no magnification. I am with a urban police department and we only qualify to 100 yards. The longest range we have access to was 200 yards, but rarely shot that distance. Looking at getting a Bushnell 1-4.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Vortex red dot (StrikeFire or SPARC), no magnification. I am with a urban police department and we only qualify to 100 yards. The longest range we have access to was 200 yards, but rarely shot that distance. Looking at getting a Bushnell 1-4.

Well, I shoot tac-optics, so I'm probably not the best to chime in here, but I recommend you go to a 200 zero, if you already haven't. With a 200 zero, the bullet shouldn't rise more than 2 inches above your LOS between 50 and 200 yards. Inside 50, you have a 2.5 drop until you get to your muzzle.

At PNTC, inside 200 yards, I'd say the targets are going to be 4-6" big (I'm talking about rifle steel past 100 yards. Inside 100, they generally use paper that will be at least 20" big). Outside 200, they start using 8" plates I believe, and 400-500, they use IPSC targets or B/C targets.

With a 200 yard zero, inside 200 yards hold center or slightly low on the 4-6" plates. Between 300-400, you can probably just hold top of 8" plate. I believe at 400, if it is IPSC, you can probably hold top of head and still get a hit. At 500, you are going to have to hold above the target, which gets hard with a dot IMO.

I have read of people using 4MOA dots over 2MOA dots because it is easier to estimate holdover with a bigger dot at longer distances, but a 4MOA dot will cover a 4" plate at 100, so...

I have also read of people who run other zeros like 300 and just hold bottom of target closer in, but a 300 yard zero makes holdovers at the longer distances easier.

Besides determining hold over with a dot, the other challenge is actually seeing the target without a magnified optic. If you have good eye sight and know your zero, I'd say you should be fine with what you have easily out to 300 yards, maybe even 400, assuming your gun and ammo is at least 2MOA as well.

Guys who shoot tac-limited well are awesome IMO. I want to shoot tac-limited someday, but need to practice it and get my holds down.

Last edited:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Just get a scope with BDC ladder. Then you don't have to do any holdovers (at least inside 400 yards). That is the whole point of scope reticles designed for 3-gun use. I can understand a 200y zero with a Mil-Dot reticle or even irons (except the MaTech). But why bother. For instance on the Burris MTAC reticle 55g Federal (even the WM value packs) Mil-Spec hits the BDC dots from 100-500 and the 600 yard dot drop is hit at 590y. 62g Mil-Spec hits every dot from 100-600. 69g-77g match hits all the dots from 100-400 and only then do you need to fudge after that.

jessestone

Jan 18, 2011
    Thanks for the information guys......anyone going to the July 11 events? I was thinking of doing IDPA in am and 2 gun in the afternoon.

What type of sling do you recommend?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Thanks for the information guys......anyone going to the July 11 events? I was thinking of doing IDPA in am and 2 gun in the afternoon.

What type of sling do you recommend?

Jessestone give me a call at 443 605 8846. I'll set ya straight.

As far as slings 2 pt adjustable. Yes a single point can be quicker with transitions but if you ever have to drop an 8 pound rifle (pistol transition) it will follow the centerline of the body. That can cripple you in a fight.

IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    I've been waiting forever for my Vortex strike eagle 1-6x to come off backorder. I trusted their June ETA too much so I sold my Vortex 1-4 on ebay. Now I will have to wait.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I am planning on doing idpa morning and 2 gun afternoon on july 11. As I always offer, any newbies that want a little guiding light are welcome to squad with me. None of this stuff is overly technical or difficult. Some basic safety principles to follow (keep muzzle pointed downrange; finger outside trigger guard unless you're actually shooting, etc); just follow what the shooters ahead of you have been doing and start slow and be safe.

jessestone

Jan 18, 2011
    IDPA was as fun has I remembered it......but 2 gun was the MOST FUN you can have with your clothes on. I had a fantastic time and can't wait to do it again.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Good to hear. Post some videos if you have them. So what ended up being the max distance that day and what size target was it?

jessestone

Jan 18, 2011
    Good to hear. Post some videos if you have them. So what ended up being the max distance that day and what size target was it?

Not sure of the target size, but it was a few yards shy of 500 yards per one of the guys laser rangefinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom