• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    OK, so I personally am a traditional archer. Have only shot recurves, both in target shooting and hunting. However I have a grandson that I would like to introduce to hunting. His parents are currently against his using firearms, for reasons I'd rather not get into here, but that are understandable in this particular case.

So I know nothing about various types and brands of compound bows, but I would like to get him one for Christmas this year to get him started. I don't want to spend many hundreds of dollars, but I want it to be a good bow. So I will be leaning toward finding a quality used compund bow that may be a little out of date for an experienced compund archer but would be suitable for hunting for a 16-year old boy, and that hopefully would serve him well for at least a few years.

All suggestions are welcome, but I'd prefer to find something decent for under $200 if that is possible.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Take him to see Tim at gun shack/crosswinds in mount airy. Tim has a good supply of options and a used rack. He can also advise you and the young man on fitment/setup.

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    Take him to see Tim at gun shack/crosswinds in mount airy. Tim has a good supply of options and a used rack. He can also advise you and the young man on fitment/setup.
    I'll keep that as an option, but I was planning to surprise him with the bow as a Christmas present. I guess I could go talk to Tim on my own and see what he recommends after describing my grandson. He's a fairly big kid, though not real tall - maybe 5'8" or so.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You could try Jefferson archery in Jefferson MD.
    What you want to look for is a bow with what are referred to as parallel limbs. They became a thing about 18-20 years ago. They are superior because they have a very mild recoil(yes, compound bows have recoil). Since they've been around so long, you might be able to find an affordable used one.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    There's a Bear Cruzer on sale in a few places. It's almost infinitely adjustable, so you can fit him after the fact. It's been a solid first bow for tons of people.

LoneWolf123

MDS Supporter
    Jul 17, 2022
    Maryland
    I'll keep that as an option, but I was planning to surprise him with the bow as a Christmas present. I guess I could go talk to Tim on my own and see what he recommends after describing my grandson. He's a fairly big kid, though not real tall - maybe 5'8" or so.
    You could surprise me with a compound bow instead. Lol.

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    There's a Bear Cruzer on sale in a few places. It's almost infinitely adjustable, so you can fit him after the fact. It's been a solid first bow for tons of people.
    Both of my kids use the Bear Cruzer platform for 4H archery. They are super adjustable for 20-30” draw length and 15-70#s. Both kids (a girl and a boy) have competed at the state archery tournament with these bows and had good success. I would be 100% confident with this bow being used to hunt. Also there are many color combo’s, but one thing they will need is an upgraded site.

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    Sounds like the Bear Cruzer may be the way to go. Adjustability is a key since kids do tend to grow fast in their teen years. I'll also check out the Diamond suggested by Wilcam to see how they compare. Gonna start searching right away for good deals. Thanks to all who responded.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you are going to go new, definitely visit a pro shop and let the lad shoot a couple bows.

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    Given that the price of a new Bear Cruzer seems to be hovering around $300, I think I will look for a used one first. If they are as adjustable as firemanyz says, I would think it should be OK for a first bow for him.

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Check out eBay, that’s where all 3 have come from for my kids. You can catch a good deal around $200. But for the most part without waiting there should be some around $275 buy it now. Also check Amazon of all places as one I bought on eBay was actually an amazon return.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    If this will lead to target archery, consider something like a Hoyt Klash for which you can get limb stops for. I have found that cable stops are not enough when beginning archers switch to back tension releases; they can easily over come the cable stops and therefore not have the consistent results they seek…

Jul 20, 2022
    AA
    Find any used bow decently priced, get it restrung and tuned. You will figure out what you like and don’t like with experience. But virtually every bow they have made in the last 15 years is incredible compared to bows made 30-50 years ago and older if you put it into perspective. Don’t get caught up in needing the most expensive, fastest nicest bow. That’s BS. All these bows they make nowadays are more than capable

sub2000

Dec 19, 2016
    The diamond infinite edge is a pretty good bow you can grow into. It has a draw weight from 5 to 50 pounds.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Given that the price of a new Bear Cruzer seems to be hovering around $300, I think I will look for a used one first. If they are as adjustable as firemanyz says, I would think it should be OK for a first bow for him.
    The Bear Royale is also fully adjustable and a little less expensive than the Cruzer most placed. I know Sportsman's Guide has their "ready to hunt" Royale at sub $300 new right now. Cruzer sits just over $300 for the full package.

Idaho

Dec 10, 2015
    Towson, MD
    I agree with recommendation to see Tim. I was sent there by an experienced bow hunter. I live in Towson and don't hesitate to drive to Mt Airey. He isn't a know it all but he probably does. He won't sell you something you don't need. I think your son would love a card that says we will be going to Mt. Airey for your new bow and Merry Christmas!

live2hunt72

May 17, 2012
    you should be able to find a like new but used bear cruzr or diamond edge for that price. Hopefully you can get one with ready to shoot, with sight and rest. Check Craigslist even.

Tom12345

MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2021
    Frederick County, MD
    OK, so I personally am a traditional archer. Have only shot recurves, both in target shooting and hunting. However I have a grandson that I would like to introduce to hunting. His parents are currently against his using firearms, for reasons I'd rather not get into here, but that are understandable in this particular case.

So I know nothing about various types and brands of compound bows, but I would like to get him one for Christmas this year to get him started. I don't want to spend many hundreds of dollars, but I want it to be a good bow. So I will be leaning toward finding a quality used compund bow that may be a little out of date for an experienced compund archer but would be suitable for hunting for a 16-year old boy, and that hopefully would serve him well for at least a few years.

All suggestions are welcome, but I'd prefer to find something decent for under $200 if that is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom