• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I was thinking about buying an AR style that shoots 22LR. I know S&W, Colt and some other manufactures make them. Anybody own one of these and can tell me some of the pluses and minuses of the different brands (and where did you get yours, and how much did it set you back?).
    Thanks

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    i personally do not own a .22LR AR'styled' rifle but if i wanted one i really think i would just buy a conversion. they are cheaper than a gun and honestlly i'd rather shoot my AR(once again i say this having never owned one)

i've never been interested mainly because i have a 10/22 and an AR.... why geneticly cross breed them?!

john

Ultimate Member
    I was thinking about buying an AR style that shoots 22LR. I know S&W, Colt and some other manufactures make them. Anybody own one of these and can tell me some of the pluses and minuses of the different brands (and where did you get yours, and how much did it set you back?).
    Thanks

The SW MP-22 is very popular, a lot of people on here are happy with it. Same with the GSG-5.

I like both and have a GSG-5, but also own 10/22.

If you want to make a 10/22 look like an M14 or AR it can be done, but I'd rather just buy the MP-22 or GSG-5.

Some people put .22 through their .223 uppers on AR-15's, but you better be ready to clean out your gas system after if you are using shitty ammo.

The MP-22 and GSG-5 are about the same price and should be under $500. You can get standard 22 rnd mags for them in PA, VA or any other state that respects the US Constitution. Used ones could be around $300.

You can't beat a 10/22 with target barrel for accuracy although the MP-22 and GSG-5 will probably do what you want inside 100yds.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Go with a CMMG .22 upper on an AR lower of your choice.
    That way you'll have an AR just waiting for a .223 upper when you get the dough.

If you want a .22 AR clone, the M&P 15-22 is a great choice.

I run a Spike's ST-22 on a Spike's lower that I built.
    Love it. I shoot the shit out of it.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    If you want a dedicated .22 get the S&W MP15-22. If you think you might change it up later get a regular AR lower (gun connection has some on sale for under $300), and add a CMMG .22 upper. In the end it will be about the same price. My CMMG upper runs great and I can swap it out with any of my 5.56 uppers. I like it because I can teach my kids how to shoot with it, use my .22 suppressor, and have a great day at the range without dropping a ton on 5.56 ammo.

Kizmit99

May 18, 2011
    Howard Co
    I haven't used a 22 conversion, but the S&W 15-22 is a super fun gun for a very cheap range outing. If you don't already have an AR-15 - be forewarned that you'll be wanting one soon after you get the 15-22. Another option, while not truly an AR-15 clone is the Sig 522 - also a nice, fun little rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom