• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunner71

Lone Wolf
    Mar 7, 2008
    right behind you
    The bolt gun looks like some form of Mauser. We need pictures of the top of the receiver and the bolt. Those markings may help. I'm a Mauser nut and if I can see the markings I may be able to look it up in my books. I think its an old Mauser due to the barrel bands and the protruding magazine. It does not have the opening in the bottom for an enbloc clip to eject, so I think that eliminates the Carcano. I'll double check on that. I would love to give it a good home but I think I'd be sent to the dog house by the wife! But maybe I can convince her its a good investment. Better than stocks right now anyway:lol2:

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    If I were you, I'd keep the SKS. Easiest and cheapest way (especially since it's already in the family) to have a good, solid rifle. Let's hope Grandpa didn't shoot corrosive ammo and not clean it before putting it away years ago.....

+1...Hard to beat for SHTF.:thumbsup:

Gunner71

Lone Wolf
    Mar 7, 2008
    right behind you
    Ok, I did some digging. From what I can see, you have an Argentine Mauser. I'm seeing that $250-300 is about right depending on whether it has a crest on the receiver or if its ground off. Also depends on the condition of the bore. Hope this helps.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I've seen Sks' in bad shape like that one go for around 400$ at gun shows but in reality it's worth about 150-200$ and that's if the bore doesn't look like too bad. Also depending on how that scope is mounted and the amount of rust on the important metal.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    With the right buyer, and good bores with few dings and dents, you can probably get $300 for the Norinco SKS, maybe $50 more if you include the original unmodified dust cover.

The Modelo 1891 7.65X53 (Argentine mauser) can range quite a bit depending on the integrity of the crest on top of the reciever, and overall condition and rarity of that particular year and variant, normally $200-$400.

7.62X39 is relatively plentiful and cheap to feed the SKS with, but surplus 7.65X53 mauser is hard to find, and new production ammo can cost more than $1.50 a round, although you can form brass out of 30-06 cases fairly easily, and stamp out some handloads with .311 dia bullets.

GunTech

Dec 30, 2008
    Brooklyn
    more pics of the other one (not the sks)

DSC04505.jpg

DSC04506.jpg

DSC04507.jpg

DSC04508.jpg

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    On my 7.65 Argentino, there is a Side Marking on the outside about where the chamber is "Mauser Argentino", looks very similar.

The down side the ammo is expensive $35-$40 dollars a box (20 rounds), recommend Norma

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Best guess for the Argentino would be $200-400, since Gun Broker has them for $500.00.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than 250, because I have one. If it broke then spare parts are a problem also.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Need more pics of the bolt mauser.

Take one pic of the left side of the receiver, between the front site and the back of the bolt.

Take another pic of the top of the front receiver ring. Thats the area right above the chamber. We are looking for a ornate crest or emblem there.

The chinese sks is usually a nice rifle. $180-250 before the election, in almost new condition. The scope mount lowers the value some because its not original, and it looks like it is drilled and tapped into each side of the receiver. It still has the bayonet, many dont, so thats a plus. the chinese sks's are not c&r.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom