• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Can anyone offer any recommendations on a AK receiver that would be a good starting point for a first build? Hopefully something that wont break the bank.
    I would like to build an under folder or buy a parts kit to go with it.
    Also not sure what barrel to use as I get a little confused with what parts are compatible with each other. But I would like a CHF barrel to go with it for durability reasons.

Thanks for any help...

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    have you tried reading? with a whopping 11 posts i'm going to guess "no". give it a try.

hint: look through other threads contained herein, and on other boards regarding firearms, and you may be pleasantly surprised to learn your questions have been answered at least 372 times already.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    have you tried reading? with a whopping 11 posts i'm going to guess "no". give it a try.

hint: look through other threads contained herein, and on other boards regarding firearms, and you may be pleasantly surprised to learn your questions have been answered at least 372 times already.

Thanks for your help, quite frankly I've been reading. Just a little confused and my window for buying is closing quickly.

Looking for a good deal on a under folder receiver preferably for a polish AK47. I'm sure this has been answered before, but times and prices change accordingly. I also have other questions like many other people here.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    if you only want one ak, you're *FAR* better off just buying a complete rifle. tooling alone will run you a bare minimum of 500 bucks and that's *REALLY* scraping the bottom of the used pricing. then there's the time invested, the fact you still have to wait for the receiver anyway, and the additional parts you need to find to build it. it's not like slapping together an AR-15. there's a LOT more to the process, and to be perfectly honest you're about 6 years too late to the party to start building now.

oh would you look at that. 3k posts. neat.

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    Are you always an as s if you don't have anything positive to comment don't you don't know anything about his situation

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Are you always an as s if you don't have anything positive to comment don't you don't know anything about his situation

and if you had half a ****ing clue the number of AK's I've built over the years for both myself and with friends, you'd keep your ****ing mouth shut, lil man.

there's this little thing called real-world experience. he's asking for some, I'm giving it to him. just because it's not necessarily the answer he WANTS, is no reason to get all up on my sack just because your precious feelers were hurt a little. have a gander under my username...the disclaimer's there.

if you want people to just tell you what you want to hear rather than what you NEED to hear, you're in the wrong place. ;)

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    Can anyone offer any recommendations on a AK receiver that would be a good starting point for a first build? Hopefully something that wont break the bank.
    I would like to build an under folder or buy a parts kit to go with it.
    Also not sure what barrel to use as I get a little confused with what parts are compatible with each other. But I would like a CHF barrel to go with it for durability reasons.

Thanks for any help...

Nodak makes great receivers. I hope your build goes smoothly. Look around on the forum. There is an abundance of info and people willing to help you out.

http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    If you just want one AK, buy it completed. The only reason to build is to say you did, or to get something you can't buy commercially.

Otherwise get the parts and have someone else do the build.

Nodak is the big gorilla for receivers but there are many other small shops that have great quality for less. Apex and Whatacountry are good for parts but others have rare stuff. Use imported barrels when you can. There are no hard and fast answers because the good AK deals happen all the time in small quantities, it's all imported parts and fairly specialized labor.

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    My feelings weren't hurt, dude asked what would ba a good receiver to do a first build not your opinion on should he build or the costs associated maybe he knows someone with the tools and is post count somehow related to penis size because you seem pretty hung up on it

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    TO Kbroc2:

A friend taught me a loooooong time ago....do NOT argue with an butthole...as some may get confused.....:-) BUT....good fer you!!! :-) No reason to be nasty to others here.....no matter what the question is...or how many times it has been asked.....no one knows what others read or do not read...or what threads they have seen or not seen...I am sure there are literally HUNDREDS that I have not read or seen.....and I have been around guns for over 40+ years.....and learn something new a few times a month...

Some just have LOW SELF ESTEEM no matter what image they portray on the outside...but here is the rub....THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW IT!!!! hahahahahaha That is why they like to tear others down, to build themselves up....oh well.....

I have given my 4 cents worth....:-)

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Thanks for the help and support, I will be buying a complete rifle and know what I'm getting into when it comes to building my own. I want to buy a receiver prior to SB281 going in effect so I can take my time acquiring parts and do it right. I own a 54R VEPR currently and want something chambered in 7.62x39 to expand my collection of rifles.
    Hopefully I'll be able to afford an Arsenal. But I do want to build the underfolder myself.
    I'll double back on Nodak and do some more research.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Buying a reciever will not save you from the wait unless you get a flat or 80%. The available kits do not include barrels so you also have to source and install the barrel. If you do not have the tools and experience to bend the flats, index and weld the rails, drill and rivet the trunnions etc, trim for clearance while allowing proper function the top rails ejector etc, press and pin the barrel all by yourself then you will spend 20× any savings you might imagine from buying one. Buying the Kodak will save you some work but comes with all of the MSP paperwork and headaches.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Thanks for the help and support, I will be buying a complete rifle and know what I'm getting into when it comes to building my own. I want to buy a receiver prior to SB281 going in effect so I can take my time acquiring parts and do it right. I own a 54R VEPR currently and want something chambered in 7.62x39 to expand my collection of rifles.
    Hopefully I'll be able to afford an Arsenal. But I do want to build the underfolder myself.
    I'll double back on Nodak and do some more research.

If 281 is the reason you're rushing into it (and you are, whether you care to admit it) just get flats and acquire the tooling to build from them. Bend em before 10/1 and you're fine.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    TO Kbroc2:

A friend taught me a loooooong time ago....do NOT argue with an butthole...as some may get confused.....:-) BUT....good fer you!!! :-) No reason to be nasty to others here.....no matter what the question is...or how many times it has been asked.....no one knows what others read or do not read...or what threads they have seen or not seen...I am sure there are literally HUNDREDS that I have not read or seen.....and I have been around guns for over 40+ years.....and learn something new a few times a month...

Some just have LOW SELF ESTEEM no matter what image they portray on the outside...but here is the rub....THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW IT!!!! hahahahahaha That is why they like to tear others down, to build themselves up....oh well.....

I have given my 4 cents worth....:-)

Or maybe it's because the op is traveling down a road that's bound to be wrought with frustration and massive expense and we're trying to guide him down another alternative one that will be much more enjoyable given his stated goals.

But yeah I could see how a complete moron would think otherwise.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    My feelings weren't hurt, dude asked what would ba a good receiver to do a first build not your opinion on should he build or the costs associated maybe he knows someone with the tools and is post count somehow related to penis size because you seem pretty hung up on it

Maybe the whole part where he said

something that won't break the bank

Building AKs is becoming multiple times more expensive than buying one with little to no real benefit if you're not using flats.

So maybe if you paid a little more attention to his original question you'd see that I was in fact helping him avoid breaking the bank. Ass.

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford

Except this is the whole part, do you read much, buy your post count it doesn't look like it. You a**hat

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom