• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    I have no intensions on buying tools to put one rifle together. There are enough people that already own them that hopefully I'll have the pleasure to meet and possibly help me through the build. As far as breaking the bank my budget today would be somewhere around $150 for the receiver. So at the moment

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    I am looking at this one (Nodak NDS-1P).
    I know it will be frustrating and in the end I'll probably regret paying the cost associated with building it myself, BUT... I am intent on finishing this an it will be worth it to me just because of the fact that I did it. I'm not scared because of cost or time.
    I'm pretty sure I can get someone to lend a hand and help me with the difficult items. Ill make it worth their time and effort.

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    My ak was built on southern armament reciever has stops for semi and full they go for about 100 about the same as a nodak, nodaks are the name brand you'll probably hear most often not too sure if ones better than the other just figured I'd throw out a competitor to look at for comparison

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    The pleasure and satisfaction of building yourself is the only real upside to the buy vs build debate for sure

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    What are prices on aks like these days?

I am thinking about selling one to fund another couple pistols.

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    Online gunbroker 550 to 1000 quality based in md outrageous 1200 for a wasr about a month ago when I got mine

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    If you want an easier route, IF you can find a Saiga in sporter configuration, buy it. Then convert it later and you can kinda say you built it. It'll save time and money.

Last edited:

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Except this is the whole part, do you read much, buy your post count it doesn't look like it. You a**hat

:lol2:

you even quoted it yourself and still haven't got the reading comprehension to understand what "break the bank" means....surely your advice will be top notch.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I am looking at this one (Nodak NDS-1P).
    I know it will be frustrating and in the end I'll probably regret paying the cost associated with building it myself, BUT... I am intent on finishing this an it will be worth it to me just because of the fact that I did it. I'm not scared because of cost or time.
    I'm pretty sure I can get someone to lend a hand and help me with the difficult items. Ill make it worth their time and effort.

If you weren't scared of cost or time then you wouldn't be counting on others to provide the tooling. If you are serious about building AK's then buy the right tools and bend as many flats as you can prior to Oct 1. That way you can spend the big $ on kits as your budget allows after the ban. Its not a hard thing to do if your mechanically inclined but its possible to screw up if your not paying attention, Ill admit to over-pressing a rear trunnion rivet when I did my second one

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Like others have said already if you plan on building to make it worth your while buy lots of flats, 80%'s, whatever to make it worth the effort. The tools necessary, expertise, and time is expensive. To do all of that for one AK with October looming not too long from now will be a waste of money.

If you only want one AK, buy one already done.
    If you want a lot, then go the build route and get the receivers first since they constitute the "firearm" and worry about everything else after.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    OK so I bought some flats and 80% receivers yesterday from AK-Builder. Got a few 1.5mm flats, a 80% polish, and a few standard flats.
    I'll see if I can get them bent here soon. If no one is willing to help me then I'll have to buy everything to do it myself. Just hate to buy all this stuff with October coming up quickly. I decided to take my engine apart to rebuild my 300ZX one day and bought all the tools as I needed them. Took every bolt and every single piece off. Turned out great but now I have all these tools that ill never use again. Just hate to go that route again.
    So if I can make it worth someone's time helping me bend these let me know.
    Thanks

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    OK so I bought some flats and 80% receivers yesterday from AK-Builder. Got a few 1.5mm flats, a 80% polish, and a few standard flats.
    I'll see if I can get them bent here soon. If no one is willing to help me then I'll have to buy everything to do it myself. Just hate to buy all this stuff with October coming up quickly. I decided to take my engine apart to rebuild my 300ZX one day and bought all the tools as I needed them. Took every bolt and every single piece off. Turned out great but now I have all these tools that ill never use again. Just hate to go that route again.
    So if I can make it worth someone's time helping me bend these let me know.
    Thanks

I have a flat bending jig and a mig welder. I space the rails 1/4" from the bent top rail. If you want to bend them and weld the rails I can help you. Then you can drill and rivet or screw or whatever the rest.

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    I'd quote it again but you still wouldn't comprehend. He asked for advice on a receiver for a build that he is going to do despite cost he asked for a quality receiver that won't break the bank he didnt ask should I build or buy because I don't want to break the bank. You have to read the whole thing to understand the context, not just a small part

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I'm starting to wonder if name calling and denigrating the questions of other MDS members has a direct correlation to IQ? (That is a rhetorical question and doesn't require anyone to respond by calling ME names.) It seems to be a recurring theme among the various threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom