• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    As my eyes seem to be aging faster than the rest of my body, I'm finding myself relying more and more on glass (of all types :sad20:) I need some help in picking a spotting scope that will reasonably see my hits (or lack of) of .223 and 30 cal at 200 yds. I have a cheapo NCStar spotting scope that reaches it's limit at 100yds. Cost is a factor, as funds are limited. I'd like to stay in the $100-$225 range. I'm told a quality scope glass of lower mag will be clearer at longer range than a lesser glass at higher mag. So I guess i'm asking for anyone with practical experience of spotting scopes in t his range and what there impressions are . Who has the best scope for the $$ This will be used primarily shooting from a bench at the range.

thanks

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    30 cal at 200 yards is do-able with a < $200 scope.
    223 at 200 is questionable. Take your time and try and check out other peoples scopes at the range.

PS: never buy a scope at a gun show unless you get to look thru the one you are purchasing. Display models at gun shows are hand picked.

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    Picked up a Bushnell 18-36x at midway for 110 bucks and it's working pretty well for me at 200 yards with 223, but I'm also using dirty birds. Not sure how well it'd work with regular paper.

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    I heard the Konus aren't bad for the money. Give them a look.

+1...

I have this Konus It's slightly a bit more then your price range. Its by no means of super high quality but it works OK for me. I have used it for scoring F-Class without issues. I can also tell you that seeing .223 and .308 holes at 200yards will not be an issue with this scope provided you aren't shooting into a black target. YMMV

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Spend a little more and get the Bushnell Excursion FLP spotting scope, it features very good glass for its price range. And gets rave reviews from people who have used them. Other wise theres not too much in your price range.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    +1...

I have this Konus It's slightly a bit more then your price range. Its by no means of super high quality but it works OK for me. I have used it for scoring F-Class without issues. I can also tell you that seeing .223 and .308 holes at 200yards will not be an issue with this scope provided you aren't shooting into a black target. YMMV

I picked up the same one from http://www.jarheadtop.com for a bit less than the Midway price. Still over your $200 mark, but he does have an interesting trade-in policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom