• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pooh67br

Mar 29, 2012
    Cecil County
    GLOCK 17 vs FNX 9 vs CZ75.

This will be my first handgun. I have no idea which one is better after I browsed internet. It is too hard to make decison. can anybody give some suggestion? thanks.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    see if you can hold each first, then try to find them as rentals at a range or a friend has one you can try out before you buy it on the interwebs. A little hands-on time can maybe prevent a regrettable regulated purchase that will be with you a long time.

edit: I type slow! See all the folks above who have much better insight on your current situation

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    CZ, metal frame, Glock plastic, I think the FN is also a plastic gun.

Which version 75? I have a 75B, which is a single action/ double action. The safety does NOT lower the hammer. The safety operates like a 1911's does. You can carry the gun cocked and locked. There are other versions of the 75 which have a decocker function. Solid gun.

Glock... as the instructor said this weekend, so simple even a caveman can use it. They say their trigger is a safety, but at best it is a passive safety. I come from the 1911 world, the original 17 grip felt like crap to me and I shot high with it. The newer guns feel better but I have yet to shoot one. Gk=locks are the benchmark by which most are judged.

I have handled one of those FN's, never shot it.

Are you near a place like Free State, where you can rent and shoot a gun?

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I have the Glock, FN9 and a Baby Eagle which is similar to the CZ. I agree with others...you should definitly go handle them and shoot them if possible. Each feels different and only you will know which one is best.

pooh67br

Mar 29, 2012
    Cecil County

Which version 75? I have a 75B, which is a single action/ double action. The safety does NOT lower the hammer. The safety operates like a 1911's does. You can carry the gun cocked and locked. There are other versions of the 75 which have a decocker function. Solid gun.

Glock... as the instructor said this weekend, so simple even a caveman can use it. They say their trigger is a safety, but at best it is a passive safety. I come from the 1911 world, the original 17 grip felt like crap to me and I shot high with it. The newer guns feel better but I have yet to shoot one. Gk=locks are the benchmark by which most are judged.

I live in Cecil county. Is there any shooting range where I can try all those guns?
    Thanks again.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I live in Cecil county. Is there any shooting range where I can try all those guns?
    Thanks again.

Cecil is north, off of 95 right? Free State is in White Marsh. They are an Industry Partner here, you might want to contact them and see what they have in the rental case right now. I can pretty much guarantee they have a Glock 17 or 19, not sure about the other guns.

pooh67br

Mar 29, 2012
    Cecil County
    CZ 75 BD 9MM BLK w/Decocker 16

pooh67br

Mar 29, 2012
    Cecil County
    Cecil is north, off of 95 right? Free State is in White Marsh. They are an Industry Partner here, you might want to contact them and see what they have in the rental case right now. I can pretty much guarantee they have a Glock 17 or 19, not sure about the other guns.

thank you so much. White Marsh is not too far from my place.

Jstevens56

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2012
    Somewhere in Merryland
    not sure if you've considered it or not but I was going to get a G17 for my first handgun but ended up going with the G19. I still plan on getting the G17 eventually but I am glad I went with the G19 first as it is a smaller pistol and it fit better in my hands.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    so you mean they are all on the same level of quality?

Both the CZ and Glock have a nice history. Glocks are more common to US shooters because so many PD's use them. civilians started buying them then. CZ has gotten a few US police contracts. CZ is well known in Europe, some police contracts there and a few military deals.

For years FN made the the HiPower, which is a classic. Second to the 1911 in many minds. The new plastic FN pistols are their answer to Glock, but with FN ideas. External hammers and safeties. I do not have any experience with the FNX. Not sure if they are good or not.

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    not sure if you've considered it or not but I was going to get a G17 for my first handgun but ended up going with the G19. I still plan on getting the G17 eventually but I am glad I went with the G19 first as it is a smaller pistol and it fit better in my hands.

I like the G19 better myself. I don't think of it as compact at all, its the perfect size. My G27 is compact.

I don't see what real advantage you gain with the G17.

Try shooting all three guns. I shot the FNP45, very nice gun but very blocky through the grips. (even compared to glock)

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Opinions are like a**holes. Everybody has one. Find a way to try all three and buy what you like the best. How did you cull your list down to these three? There are many other good guns to be considered.

pooh67br

Mar 29, 2012
    Cecil County
    Opinions are like a**holes. Everybody has one. Find a way to try all three and buy what you like the best. How did you cull your list down to these three? There are many other good guns to be considered.

such as? I picked those three just by the appearance and the review on the internet. I really don't know much about others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom