• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1stmdcav

Dec 23, 2010
    Calvert County
    I am part of UMUC Security staff located in Largo, MD and we are looking for self-defense or any unarmed training. Preferably someone or a group that would be willing to come to our Largo location and use our auditorium for the training. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    George/mercop is your man.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    What they said above. Haven't met the guy but from what i read on his posts ans such. He will be your perfect candidate.

Or i can talk to my instructors. They have a program that might fit the bill.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    You really think you're going to learn properly after an couple hour class? It's better than nothing, but I would suggest judo, muy thai or krav maga classes. It takes time to learn how to fight effectively. Make sure the school has realistic sparring/rolling, and encourages tournaments and competition. This probably isn't realistic for your needs, but it's probably the best solution.

That said, Mercop is the person you need to talk to.

Last edited:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    You really think you're going to learn properly after an couple hour class? It's better than nothing, but I would suggest judo, muy thai or krav maga classes. It takes time to learn how to fight effectively. Make sure the school has realistic sparring/rolling, and encourages tournaments and competition. This probably isn't realistic for your needs, but it's probably the best solution.

That said, I'm Mercop is the person you need to talk to.

it becomes a liability issue

he's gonna have to require some sort of minimum training standard for his employees to both control a suspect and self defense. If not done or done incorrectly they leave themselves up for a larger liability. The SEcurity/LE Field is always up for liability, its just a matter of minimizing or reducing it.

Someone choses to go into the martial arts but you can't require someone to pursue it. I agree with you to a point. Encourage your employees to learn more about self defense but have a standard wehn controlling or making arrests.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    it becomes a liability issue

he's gonna have to require some sort of minimum training standard for his employees to both control a suspect and self defense. If not done or done incorrectly they leave themselves up for a larger liability. The SEcurity/LE Field is always up for liability, its just a matter of minimizing or reducing it.

Someone choses to go into the martial arts but you can't require someone to pursue it. I agree with you to a point. Encourage your employees to learn more about self defense but have a standard wehn controlling or making arrests.

was just surfing my schools website.. something like these may help him. close to the bottom of the page.. CDT for security and law enforcements.

http://www.eastcoastmartialarts.com/programs/cdtnondeadlyforcetraining.asp#Security

(not advertisement or sales rep..just some thought that the OP may want to look into similar program).

1stmdcav

Dec 23, 2010
    Calvert County
    We are by no means a take down force our primary goal is to observe and report. We call PG if anything gets too out of hand but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be prepared for a conflict. I appreciate the responses hopefully we will get some results here soon.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    As noted, I've taken classes from Mercop and would recommend him in a heartbeat.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    As noted, I've taken classes from Mercop and would recommend him in a heartbeat.

Yes....but just make sure you partner people up size appropriately in the course. :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom