• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zeddm91/30

Oct 11, 2009
    Reliance MD
    Ok so someone i just met wants to store there guns at my house there character is kinda questionable and i was wondering if there was a way to check the serial code to see if they are hot or not. just to keep my nose clean. im not to clear on Maryland's laws. Any help would much appreciated.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    eject.jpg

zeddm91/30

Oct 11, 2009
    Reliance MD
    he is selling me one of them but im not sure about it now. is there any way to buy the one gun and cover my butt. can i make sure the gun is not hot?

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    he is selling me one of them but im not sure about it now. is there any way to buy the one gun and cover my butt. can i make sure the gun is not hot?

Ask him if he would be willing to transfer through a dealer at your cost. If he is not inclined to do so, hands off.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    If you call you local PD if they'd be willing to run the serial # through NCIC.

Its sounds really fishy....I woudn't do it especially when....(you fill in your own conclusion)

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    Sounds risky to me, if you have a friend who's a cop, see if he can run the serial numbers for you. Otherwise I wouldn't take the risk. Even going thru the FFL could mean you could end up with an "overly warm" item.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    If you know their character is questionable and you feel the need to check serial #'s ,your gut is tellin' you something smells. WHY ? the need to store guns in the house of an almost stranger ( Ok so someone i just met wants to store there guns at my house) NOT A GOOD IDEA .

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Would an FFL do a stolen check if it doesn't go through MSP? Do Non regulated transfers don't go thorough a stolen check?

You could be mean and ask the ATF for advice. I am somewhat sure that they would be interested and might even want to help store the guy and his guns if any check turns out wrong.

zeddm91/30

Oct 11, 2009
    Reliance MD
    i didn't bargain for all this i just wanted to buy a 9mm and he gives me this BS run around story about all his guns being at his dads and him and his dad had a falling out. so he need to get all of his guns out.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    :lol::party29::lol2::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thx every one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was actually no joke. If you call the Maryland field office @ (443) 965-2000, explain that you were offered a possibly shady deal and would like some advice they will certainly help you out. You might end up with an ATF agent or two in your kitchen when the guy wants to bring in any rifles and they may want to know his name, address etc beforehand to run a check.
    Now, if he turns out to be truly desperate to store firearms somewhere else for legal reasons he is going to be mighty pissed at you but you cannot play it safer.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Can you xfer through MSP? Play naive and say "great deal, let's head over to the MSP barracks and start the paperwork". You should be able to tell a lot by his reaction. That way you don't get suckered into a shady deal. If he's no good, you'll never hear from him again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom