• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    I have a couple of old aluminum control arms that I would like to repurpose as shelf brackets. The arms have some small cracks (~2") that I would like to weld for cosmetic purposes (I will grind/smooth the welds as needed).
    Please let me know if you do aluminum TIG welding, and if I can bring these pieces to you.

Andreas

Attachments

• A7367ED0-B82C-478B-B6D9-3688A68C5B18.jpeg
      A7367ED0-B82C-478B-B6D9-3688A68C5B18.jpeg
      289.7 KB · Views: 84

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I suspect that these parts are cast aluminum and thus the welds if done with GTAW may not be what you expect. I've GTAW welded up cast aluminum intake manifolds once or twice and the results are functional but less than attractive compared to welding intercooler pipe or similar non cast.

You may get better results (not to mention more people equipped for the task) my asking for GMAW. You would need to use an appropriate burr or cutting tool to bring the weld to level with the parent metal but you have said you are ok with that.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Interesting repurpose. Can you orient the CA so that the crack is inboard and under the shelf so that it is not visible? IMO, welding will make that area stand out all the more.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    There is a solder for aluminum that would do that. I no longer have the link, but it should not be too hard for you to research.

AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    I suspect that these parts are cast aluminum and thus the welds if done with GTAW may not be what you expect. I've GTAW welded up cast aluminum intake manifolds once or twice and the results are functional but less than attractive compared to welding intercooler pipe or similar non cast.

You may get better results (not to mention more people equipped for the task) my asking for GMAW. You would need to use an appropriate burr or cutting tool to bring the weld to level with the parent metal but you have said you are ok with that.
    Thank you for the clarification. Yes, the arms are cast aluminum. I am set up to weld GMAW (steel / MIG) at home, just not aluminum.
    Yes, I'm fine with any process that will close the cracks. I will level any excess and then bead blast the arms for a uniform finish.

Interesting repurpose. Can you orient the CA so that the crack is inboard and under the shelf so that it is not visible? IMO, welding will make that area stand out all the more.

No, the cracks will be visible.

There is a solder for aluminum that would do that. I no longer have the link, but it should not be too hard for you to research.
    Those magic sticks on Amazon/IG/etc.? I actually had a few of these once and simply could not achieve success, despite using MAPP at full blast for way too long.

Andreas

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Simple. Aluminum. Welding. Three things that rarely go together in a sentence.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    I can weld cracks in Aluminum and But joints still cant do lap joints. I still spend alot of time practicing. With that said Alumialloy is a aluminum brazing rod that is very easy to work with and surprisingly strong. I have used it on stripped screw threads in aluminum with no issues.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Its not as bad as people make it sound eithier. Just different. Stainless or Titanium on the other hand is straight out of the 7th circle of hell
    You must have all the game.....I stink at aluminum compared to stainless. My aluminum GTAW is acceptable but not beautiful. I weld stainless suppressor tubes and it looks robotic, no filler rod needed. Guess I need to up my skills.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    You must have all the game.....I stink at aluminum compared to stainless. My aluminum GTAW is acceptable but not beautiful. I weld stainless suppressor tubes and it looks robotic, no filler rod needed. Guess I need to up my skills.
    Im not great at aluminum but I am not horrible anymore after a metric ton of practice. Stainless and titanium though well lets just say I need alot more practice. I should have mentioned Iam specifically talking about TIG.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Im not great at aluminum but I am not horrible anymore after a metric ton of practice. Stainless and titanium though well lets just say I need alot more practice. I should have mentioned Iam specifically talking about TIG.
    Oh, I knew you meant tig (GTAW is gas tungsten arc welding). I've never welded titanium. Mostly varying grades of steel and stainless and the majority of the stainless was firearms/suppressor related working for an 07.

I like GTAW. It really pushes me to do the prep and fit work correctly.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    Oh, I knew you meant tig (GTAW is gas tungsten arc welding). I've never welded titanium. Mostly varying grades of steel and stainless and the majority of the stainless was firearms/suppressor related working for an 07.

I like GTAW. It really pushes me to do the prep and fit work correctly.
    If you can do stainless you can do titanium. Just like stainless its about gas coverage and not overheating.
    I know you knew what I was talking about. It was more for others that might not or dont know what GTAW means.
    I haven't weld aluminum for anything useful yet. I am learning it for my older aluminum boat where welds occasionally crack so I can reenforce those areas with plates. I have found mild steel is extremely easy to tig. Probably easier than MIG even atleast to me. Aluminum was definitely a challenge. My biggest habit is having my gas flow slightly to low unless I am using a gas lense. I catch it pretty quick though.
    Stainless will be up soon if you got any tips. With Aluminum atleast in my experience you gotta back way off the heat near the end and you just gotta keep it moving. I dont know if I could ever do aluminum without the foot pedal unless I am on a very large peice. I have been practicing with 2x4 coupons. I figure if I can get those down I will be able to do almost everything I want to do. I have also found tacking and lap joints atleast for me are the hardest.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Its not as bad as people make it sound eithier. Just different. Stainless or Titanium on the other hand is straight out of the 7th circle of hell
    I'd think the 9th circle (treachery) would be a better analogy than violence (7th circle)

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I used this on some small aluminum brackets that I made to add a gusset and it worked out well.

I also have an aluminum spool gun on my millermatic that you are welcome to give a run.

Feb 28, 2013
    I can weld cracks in Aluminum and But joints still cant do lap joints. I still spend alot of time practicing. With that said Alumialloy is a aluminum brazing rod that is very easy to work with and surprisingly strong. I have used it on stripped screw threads in aluminum with no issues.
    Wouldnt brazing be better for a lap joint?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom