• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cornbrown

Apr 8, 2012
    PHILADELPHIA police officers are supposed to be educated about civilian gun laws - especially since an expletive-laden altercation with a licensed gun owner ended up on YouTube last year and led to a $25,000 court settlement.

For the record: It's perfectly legal to openly carry a handgun in the city - with a valid permit. Everywhere else in the state, a permit is needed only if the gun is concealed.

But apparently not everyone in the Police Department got the memo.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20121116_New_video_shows_cops_harassing_man_legally_carrying_gun.html
    http://youtu.be/agWde2tpfx4

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    PHILADELPHIA police officers are supposed to be educated about civilian gun laws - especially since an expletive-laden altercation with a licensed gun owner ended up on YouTube last year and led to a $25,000 court settlement.

For the record: It's perfectly legal to openly carry a handgun in the city - with a valid permit. Everywhere else in the state, a permit is needed only if the gun is concealed.

But apparently not everyone in the Police Department got the memo.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20121116_New_video_shows_cops_harassing_man_legally_carrying_gun.html
    http://youtu.be/agWde2tpfx4

From only reading the article, it sounds to me like the officer knew exactly what he was doing, and was just trying to harass a young OCer. Seems the kid handled it well.

I'll check out the vid later when I can focus on it.

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    Police departments around the country need to do a better job of training or getting rid of incompetent officers. National Park Service rangers are ESPECIALLY bad at harassing law abiding citizens.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    FWIW, this is common in Philly (hence the lost lawsuit)--cops seem to make up their own rules so lots of folks now want to challenge them

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The officer's ignorance of the laws he is paid to enforce is astounding.

Most of the cops if Philly are NOT ignorant of the laws....many are not into upholding or enforcing certain ones, that is why they lost the suit to begin with. The Philly police dept has a long history of corruption that has not abated.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Most of the cops if Philly are NOT ignorant of the laws....many are not into upholding or enforcing certain ones, that is why they lost the suit to begin with. The Philly police dept has a long history of corruption that has not abated.

But, but...they have D.C.'s own Charles Ramsey as the department's police commissioner. :D

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Gee thanks for joining just to post a meaningless encounter in PA.

Open carry in MD see how it works for ya.

What's the point of your statement? Open carry in Md is not permitted at all. It is legal in Philly. Don't bash this kid for wanting to vent and share his experience. Hopefully if enough people sue Philly, they will start to spend money on training their officers instead of paying out on lawsuits.

I wonder if he cried "racism" if Jesse and Uncle Al would show their faces?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    What's the point of your statement? Open carry in Md is not permitted at all. It is legal in Philly. Don't bash this kid for wanting to vent and share his experience. Hopefully if enough people sue Philly, they will start to spend money on training their officers instead of paying out on lawsuits.

I wonder if he cried "racism" if Jesse and Uncle Al would show their faces?

I doubt it's him in the video...that's my point. Trolling IMHO.

And the MD comment was geared to where we are and where most of our concerns should be focused....MD.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

And the MD comment was geared to where we are and where most of our concerns should be focused....MD.

I think the point is there's probably a better way to welcome a new member and guide him in the right direction........:sad20:

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

You don't know who it is in the video. Don't automatically theorize that he is trolling. I have never seen that video and thought it was interesting how the cops were digging for reasons to pin this kid with something. Especially when they starting in on the mag capacity and type of ammo.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    If its the OP in the video, he's obviously looking for controversy to generate YouTube hits.

Who ever said it was the OP in the video? He certainly didn't.

But whoever it is, that video stands on its own as a monument to ignorance and stupidity on behalf of that officer, and reflects a broader incompetence on this issue that's not exactly rare on the Philadelphia Police Department.

I don't understand the trolling suspicions at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom