Negligent Discharge at Elk Neck: 21 Nov 11.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Negligent discharge at Elk Neck Rifle Range last night. The short story:

Approximately 1705. Cold range. Several people downrange adjusting/retrieving targets. White male late 20s/early 30s picks up pistol, asks male friend "how do I know if it is empty?" He is approached by two other patrons and told to not handle firearms while people are downrange. Female of the group responds "it's empty." First rule of firearms is explained to the group, followed by reference to the specific range rules. Individuals are generally non-compliant when given this information in a calm, courteous fashion.

Approximately 1715 , range is still cold, ear protection is off, and a rifle discharges while people are still downrange. Individual holding rifle in the lane next to those who are downrange is standing in front of the firing line and yells "I thought it was a spent casing, was trying to get it out." Nobody injured. Individual was yelled at by several patrons.

Exactly 1717, call goes to 911. Events explained. DNR and Harford County Sheriff's Office do not have units in Cecil County at the time, response would be approximately 45 minutes. Information was relayed including the offending individual's vehicle: Silver Chevrolet Equinox or Traverse, Delaware plate, PC84547. Duty officer was appreciative and indicated they would put a call out to identify the individual and give him some 'feedback' on his actions. Legal action would be possible if the individuals who were downrange at the time wanted to press charges.

Those are the straight facts. I will reserve opinions and personal comments for another post.

-edit-
    Mis-typed the date in the title, should read 20 Nov 11.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Maybe the 1st rule of firearm safety should be, "Close your mouth, open your ears, and pay attention."

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Question: Regardless of the fact that he absolutely shouldn't have been touching a firearm while there are people downrange, what part of "clearing a spent casing" requires touching the trigger?

Answer: None.

This was the single most dangerous firearms "accident" I have ever witnessed. It is a miracle that nobody was injured or killed last night.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks for sharing that, it's an important reminder of how quick things can happen.

Fortunately, no one was injured or killed but, an enjoyabe day at the range could have turned tragic real quick. :sad20:

I enjoyed the gun show this weekend but the hair still stands up on the back of my neck when I look around there and see people sweeping the crowd with weapons they're looking at.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I enjoyed the gun show this weekend but the hair still stands up on the back of my neck when I look around there and see people sweeping the crowd with weapons they're looking at.

I once had a dumb**** start to unload a rifle, by cycling cartridges through the action - with the muzzle pointed right at my stomach.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The Shooter needs to be found and charged with whatever they can throw at them, otherwise idiots like that WILL get every public range colsed permanently.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    They will find him... if he filled out a range slip and paid, he had to list his address. Plus they have this license plate.Why did he have a pistol on the rifle range also?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    there is someone named elk, and someone named neck viewing this thread right now. What are the odds?

LOL nevermind that's the thread tags, damn phone sucks.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Just noticed this post is from the future. Today is the 21st.

I included an edit that I mis-typed the date in the title.

911 was called? What do they charge the person with? Being stupid?

This is in accordance with Elk Neck State Forest range rules and protocol, which has been discussed AT LENGTH on this board and others. In the event of rules infractions and dangerous behavior:

1. Confront the offending individual. Safety is everybody's responsibility.
    2. Alert a volunteer range safety officer if one is present.
    3. Alert the Ranger/attendant at the office.
    4. Call police.

Depending on the nature of the act(s), the individual could be charged with a number of crimes.

1. Assault
    2. Endangerment
    3. Criminal Recklessness
    4. Other...

He may also be charged related to his use of the range. If he does not hold an MD State hunting license or did not pay his entrance fee, he was using the range illegally and penalties may be imposed by DNR. I would hope his right to own firearms would be severely limited or revoked. It is guys like this that make the Gun-Control Lobbyist's job so much easier.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    Two weeks before deer season is never a good time to go to Elk Neck. To many bozo's trying to sight in their rifles or shotguns. Usually the first time they touched a firearm since they put it away the year before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom