• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I just got a copy of this new bulletin.

View attachment 74356

I can't find anything that much different than past practices except for maybe the part about loan of a firearm. In the past could you loan across state lines or just in your home state?

By law you could and still can loan a firearm to someone that does not reside in the same state as you. The law as written does not consider a loan to be a transfer of possession so the feds really have no jurisdiction over it. YMMV

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    By law you could and still can loan a firearm to someone that does not reside in the same state as you. The law as written does not consider a loan to be a transfer of possession so the feds really have no jurisdiction over it. YMMV
    So what you're saying is that this recently released ATF 'Best Practices: Transfers of Firearms by Private Sellers.' is providing misleading information when it states the following?:

An unlicensed individual is prohibited from directly transferring a firearm to a person residing in another State.
    Regardless of the purpose of the transfer (e.g. gift, trade, loan, sale, ownership, etc.), this restriction applies to all types of firearms.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Is this an attempt to keep people from moving banned weapons to a friend or relative's residence out of state, or am I missing the mark? This definitely limits options of defiance for those that refuse registration.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Is this an attempt to keep people from moving banned weapons to a friend or relatives residence out of state, or am I missing the mark? This definitely limits options of defiance for those that refuse registration.

Ill be using a Storage Unit in another State if necessary.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    So what you're saying is that this recently released ATF 'Best Practices: Transfers of Firearms by Private Sellers.' is providing misleading information when it states the following?:

Yes they are. A 'loan' is not considered a transfer since you only relinquish control temporarily. Example: you go to a public range and rent a machine gun to shoot. Do you have to fill out a form and pay the transfer tax and wait 6/8/10 months to shoot it? No. Same holds true with a friend letting you shoot their machine gun (sbr,sbs,silencer, title 1, etc,) at a private range.

The only gray area is what length of time is considered temporary. It is not codified in the firearms regs that I have seen.

YMMV

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Thankfully Obama used his executive powers to spur the ATF into action over this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom