• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwoodburn

Feb 9, 2012
    Owings Mills, MD
    Thought you guys would appreciate this...

So there I was, a normal Sunday afternoon at the local indoor range and after firing off 200 rds I pack up to go home and watch some football. But before I leave, I do what most of us do and browse around the shop to check to see if there was anything cool in stock. That was my first mistake... because I started to notice a lot of very interesting C&R rifles on the shelf. They were on consignment from a local guy whose father recently passed away and passed an amazing collection on to his son. There was a little bit of everything... Garands, Enfields, an Ishapore 2A1, even a Krag and Browning BAR. I couldn't resist and after getting the blessing from my wonderful wife... I picked up a Saginaw S'G' M1 Carbine and a Springfield 1903A1. I didn't get an amazing deal, paid about market value, but these things are sweet and I am sure they are only going to go up in value. They appear to be unfired since the gentleman picked them up from the CMP years ago...

20171025_203956.jpg

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland

So there I was, a normal Sunday afternoon at the local indoor range and after firing off 200 rds I pack up to go home and watch some football. But before I leave, I do what most of us do and browse around the shop to check to see if there was anything cool in stock. That was my first mistake... because I started to notice a lot of very interesting C&R rifles on the shelf. They were on consignment from a local guy whose father recently passed away and passed an amazing collection on to his son. There was a little bit of everything... Garands, Enfields, an Ishapore 2A1, even a Krag and Browning BAR. I couldn't resist and after getting the blessing from my wonderful wife... I picked up a Saginaw S'G' M1 Carbine and a Springfield 1903A1. I didn't get an amazing deal, paid about market value, but these things are sweet and I am sure they are only going to go up in value. They appear to be unfired since the gentleman picked them up from the CMP years ago...

View attachment 216932

very nice, pay what you can afford and you could apparently afford. They are investments. :thumbsup:

gwoodburn

Feb 9, 2012
    Owings Mills, MD
    Thanks guys. After doing research on the 1903a1, turns out it was one of the Greek returns that the CMP got back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Based on the serial, the receiver was made around 1931. The barrel is marked HS 5-44 so my guess is after WWII it was arsenal refurbished then sent to Greece. From what I've found it was hit or miss I the condition of the Greek rifles, but I think this one sat in a crate unused until it was shipped back. The barrel is super clean with flawless rifling. Can't wait to get it to the range. I'm currently working in Atlanta Georgia so I'm thinking of taking a drive to the CMP range in Talladega. I think that would be appropriate for its first shots :)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Keepers, the rifles and the wife! Still lurking about for just the right Underwood M1 Carbine. Shouldn't take more than a year or two at this rate!

gwoodburn

Feb 9, 2012
    Owings Mills, MD
    Keepers, the rifles and the wife! Still lurking about for just the right Underwood M1 Carbine. Shouldn't take more than a year or two at this rate!

I hear ya. For there being over 6 million of them made, it sure is hard to find good, well taken care of M1 carbines. Maybe one day I'll have a carbine from all 10 manufactures in my connection... By then I'll probably have refurnished the whole house too

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011

View attachment 216932

Nice pick ups!

is that a prewar C or 03a3 replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom