New C&R holder, what should I buy first?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You might keep an eye out for a Beretta M1951, sometimes called a Brigadier. The Egyptians made licensed copies called Helwans. Anyway, they are nice single stack, single action 9mm pistols with an odd cross bolt safety and a peculiar magazine release. Nice pistols, though.
    The locking mechanism is based on that of the P38, but if anything, it's a bit slimmed down, so less robust. I would stick to a modest diet of standard pressure 115 grain loads.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Go to simpsonltd.com and search under handguns > C&R. They always have a nice collection of High Standard 22 pistols and yes, they ship to your door! They also have a huge collection of lugers and some real valuable pieces like Russian contract 1911 Colts for $15,000 - $30,000.
    Hmmm, buy the machine gun I've always wanted, or get an incredible Russian contract 1911 or send one of my kids to college for 2-3 semesters and not get a divorce.

I am going to need to think about this one a little more

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Some great advice in this thread, I'm loving it!

To be clear, I'm not looking for anyone's "honey hole" auction site. I'm not looking for $69 cosmoline deals. I'm looking to start a small collection of descent (mostly pistol) firearms that I'm able to take to the range and shoot (if I want) but that will also maintain value.

Following suite to the advice that has been offered, I picked up my first piece of literature that I can use for research as I start this journey...
    My two suggestions are to go to out of state gun shows and auctions. Your C&R gets you walking out of there 5-10 minutes later and a much lighter wallet.

Bring as many copies of your C&R as you can afford to buy firearms plus one extra.

Not sure how often you get out of state or even just poking around shops here, but I'd leave a copy of your C&R in the glove box of every vehicle you drive. A reminder, you don't have to "use" your C&R to be buying the gun. If it is a curio and relic you are supposed to provide a signed and dated copy of your FFL to the person selling it and they, if an FFL, are supposed to provide a copy to you.

I've bought and sold a few C&R handguns within Maryland's boarders and the buyer and seller if an FFL still needs a copy of my FFL, even if I can't skip a 7-day waiting period.

You can skip the background check in MD if you are an FFL-03 buying a C&R long gun still. It ain't much, but it does maybe save you 5 minutes by not needing to do the background check form.

Atlantic firearms right now has some Yugo M48s in what looks like nice shape. C&R. They've sure gone up in price, but one of the nicer Mauser based military rifles and one of the last ones made.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    You know your C&R is good for a whole world of stuff beyond just milsurps, right? I've bought around 20 guns with mine so far and not one was a milsurp of any sort. Expand your horizons and maybe settle on something you can afford that may require a little TLC on your part - it's one way to snag stuff that the "collectors" turn their noses up at.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You know your C&R is good for a whole world of stuff beyond just milsurps, right? I've bought around 20 guns with mine so far and not one was a milsurp of any sort. Expand your horizons and maybe settle on something you can afford that may require a little TLC on your part - it's one way to snag stuff that the "collectors" turn their noses up at.
    I ended up picking up a Colt Official police that needed some work. Sadly, it had the Colt Pony just about completely removed at some point when it was reblued. But it is New Jersey State police barracks engraved on its heel which is cool. It needed a new hand and retimed, but works great now. Though if I'd needed a smith to get it timed properly it wouldn't have been that good of a deal as it probably would have cost as much as a good condition, unrefinished Colt OP that was still in time at that point :-)

But $15 of parts, a $20 book and a few hours of gunsmithing (it did require welding the new hand, filing and profiling it). and research got her runnning great.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'd say in this climate you'd be better of buying any C&R semi-auto rifles. They may get labelled as evil assault weapons.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Just sent in my renewal for my C&R today. Although I bought only 1 piece over the last 3 years, I think it is well worth it. I got a Colt Challenger and it really a nice pistol. Maybe I will look at some S&W lemon squeezers next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom